Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating from Milwaukee, WI to Atlanta, GA in late July to attend John Marshall Law School in Midtown.

I have a son who will be 4 years old by then so I am looking for preschools as well as a condo or apartment to rent in the area. I have heard good things about the Midtown area and would like his preschool and my home to be as close to my law school as possible. I have a small home-based business that I can operate from any place I move to, so employment is not an issue.

For preschools it is not in my budget to pay for private schools, so I am looking for good public preschools or centers that use the Bright from the Start Pre-K program.

For a condo or apartment, I prefer privately owned and operated 1-2 bedroom condos with rent around $700-$850/month. If I need to go a little higher to get what I want, I will. I'd prefer to pay more for rent than to have a long commute and pay for more gas. If I can't find anything before my move I will be residing with a friend in Ellenwood until I can find what I am looking for.

Any information you can offer about the Midtown area or nearby areas would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind living in another area as long as the drive isn't too long (less than 30-45min. in traffic) and it has good schools and is a safe area...I've heard Decatur is not too far and is nice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
There are places within that budget, but you will have to look hard. Certainly not a 2BR, I'm afraid. You won't have your pick of 1BR--you'll have to settle for something less than optimal in an older building, most likely.

Decatur is a bit cheaper than Midtown and has excellent schools. You can drive (~30 min) or take MARTA (~45 min). The good thing about MARTA is you'll have a built in hour of reading time on the train each day, and parking is free so long as you can walk to the station. There is a station in downtown Decatur and a station two blocks from the school.

Decatur is more family-friendly than Midtown, FYI. But both are good options.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
I rented a fairly nice (but far from luxurious) 2 bedroom apartment in Midtown back in 1994 for $850/month, so I'm pretty sure you will need to pay a good bit more than that now. I'm not sure what the average rent in Midtown is today, but I would bet that $850/month would be a steal.

Midtown is a great area, and probably one of the more expensive in the city. You might want to check Lindbergh or Clairmont Road areas, as both are nearby with lots of newer apartments/condos to choose from. I'm sure other members will offer addtional options.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Consider, too, giving a realtor a call. A lot of folks who cannot sell their houses are, instead, renting.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
When it comes to inexpensive intown housing you will usually have to choose one or the other: cheap rent OR good schools. Midtown is one of the most desirable areas of the city and landlords know this. Most are not going to charge $850 a month for something they know they could get $1200 for, even in a recession. Since the city is built out for the most part, in the desirable areas, the recession hasn't affected home prices(or rents) as much as in the further out burbs. Supply and Demand. You might be able to find some apartments in the Midtown/intown areas that cheap but they will resemble a slum. And even for a slum, in a good school district, for a 2 bedroom, $850 would be pushing it.

With that being said, the very far southwest corner of Buckhead would have good schools and apartments in your price range(maybe you can increase to $950?). They're not going to be lavish but will be inhabitable. Check out the Defoors Ferry and Collier Road areas. Also the Cross Creek Condos over there usually have affordable rentals. These areas are in the zips codes 30318 and 30327. MOST of 30318 is very undesirable for someone with a child so be careful that the elementary schools you're zoned to feed into North Atlanta High School. But that area in SW Buckhead is probably your best bet for what you're looking for. It's only 10 mintues north of Midtown, plenty of side streets to take during traffic hours to easily transport you from one to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: