Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

First time poster, long-time reader. I recently accepted a job in Duluth, GA, and my wife and I will be relocating from WI to the Atlanta metro next month.

We are young, ambitious, enjoy metro areas, and in relocating from WI we would really like to "soak" up as much of the city life as possible in our venture to ATL.

In reading through posts on the forum, along w/additional research on the metro area I understand that traffic can be trying to say the least. However, it sounds like if we were to live intown (Buckhead, Va-Hi, Midtown areas), that I maybe against the flow of traffic, and may not be as bad of a commute.

To summarize: is a commute from intown to Duluth reasonable? Note, I don't mind leaving a little earlier in the morning to beat the rush.

Secondly, we seem to have our sights set on the Midtown, Midtown West, Buckhead, and/or Va-Hi neighborhoods. Any parts of these neighborhoods we want to stay away from or any other neighborhoods we should consider?

Any advice/suggestions is welcomed and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
You should be fine going north against traffic. Can you give us a little more detail as to what side of Duluth - closer to I-85 or near Johns Creek?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
The Midtown West neighborhood is much more recently redeveloped than the others on your list. Much of that area was warehouse/industrial until pretty recently (the train tracks are a major feature on the westside). Both "Midtown" and "Buckhead" are used pretty amorphously, both by residents, visitors, and real estate agents. Buckhead is particularly difficult to pin down exactly what is Buckhead and what isn't Buckhead. Midtown is actually a very well-defined neighborhood (according to the Midtown Neighbors Association), but many people will call areas "Midtown" that are really, really not Midtown. You'll do well to check out each of these areas in person (both during the day and during the evening). See whether you like the vibe and also see what kind of amenities most appeal to you.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,599 times
I again thank you for the responses. In response to the first reply; i will be working just off of Hwy. 120 in Duluth, it appears to be halfway between Duluth and Johns Creek.

Overall (in your opinion), is Midtown or Buckhead a more fun/safe neighborhood?

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I would take Midtown over Buckhead - I tend to think about Buckhead as more upscale shopping and restaurants, Midtown has great restaurants and the arts with Downtown and Ansley/Piedmont Park just next door.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
I agree with Midtown over Buckhead in terms of "fun" (arts, restaurants, etc.). The area near Piedmont Park is your best bet for that. I would avoid places on Ponce De Leon (or the immediate block off of it). West Midtown is just "OK" for me at least. Quite industrial, so you have to decide if that is your style. Howell Mill Rd. isn't exactly the prettiest area either. Also, avoid Home Park (neighborhood just north of Georgia Tech). Lots of college students, scattered poor homes, and high crime.

However, if you choose Midtown, consider this - the traffic coming back into the city from I-85 will be tough. I-85 S is fine up to about N Druid Hills. After that, with the merge from GA 400 and into the Downtown Connector, traffic is a nightmare. And Buford Hwy is no better. On Fridays/bad weather day, you can double that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
For fast access to the interstate (if you're headed up 85) I would live close to Freedom Parkway...so, VaHi close to Ponce or Inman Park, etc.

Your commute to Duluth should be fine. And these areas are fun and safe.

Anyone else have advise on easy freeway access for commuting up that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta