Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM

53 posts, read 138,632 times

Advertisements

Job will be based in Powder Springs but will involve floating to other areas in NW Marietta. That's all the info I have at the moment. Where would you live, Marietta or Smyrna? Don't want excessive commute times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweet View Post
Job will be based in Powder Springs but will involve floating to other areas in NW Marietta. That's all the info I have at the moment. Where would you live, Marietta or Smyrna? Don't want excessive commute times.
What price range, type of housing, proximate amenities, and other things are you interested in?

Without that info, the answer is probably "live anywhere"...

Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Sorry, I'll be renting a 1 BR apartment and I want to live in a safe area obviously. But I was asking more about the areas in general. I'm single female - which is a better area?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I am a single female and love living in Smyrna!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,642 times
You might also look into Vinings. I work with a girl that lives there and she loves it. I have no idea what the commute might be like from there to Powder Springs though. Anyone else want chine in to help the OP with that? My knowledge for traffic in the Metro is mostly on East side.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Vinings Village is less than 4 miles from Smyrna Market Village - commute wise the difference is negligible.

What do you enjoy doing socially? As a single person, for me living closer to Atlanta would be more desirable.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM

37 posts, read 90,898 times
If you live many places East and North of Powder Springs, which is most of Cobb County, in many cases you will be going against commuting traffic in the morning and afternoons. You might want to look into Vinings or areas around Cumberland, which have good access to social entertainment but also provide several options for getting to work on various routes.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM

I wanted to add some more info - thanks to all that replied so far. I'll be at Powder Springs store most of the time on Ernest W. Barrett Pkwy which is actually Marietta according to the address but will float to other stores in Marietta, Austell, Canton (this one won't happen often), Chamblee, Dallas, Hiram, Woodstock, and Atlanta (Howell Mill Road). My priority is picking an area which is somewhat central but I'm having some trouble doing so. Best case - I'll be at the Powder Springs store 2-4 days a week, and worst case - going to a different store in the above mentioned cities 2-4 times a week, if that makes any sense. Vinings sounds like a cool place to live but looking at the map it seems further south than I need to be. (I could be wrong though.) Anyone have any more suggestions? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
If you're working in Powder Springs you can also look in Austell around the (East-West) Connector area, Austell is the neighboring city west of Powder Springs. I just moved from a 1br on East-West Connector in Austell to a house in Smyrna in the Hurt Rd area and love every bit of it. I can message you the name of the apartments, they were very quiet and a safe area next to the park and Wal-Mart was about 2 miles down in Powder Springs as well as other stores/restaurants. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweet View Post
I wanted to add some more info - thanks to all that replied so far. I'll be at Powder Springs store most of the time on Ernest W. Barrett Pkwy which is actually Marietta according to the address but will float to other stores in Marietta, Austell, Canton (this one won't happen often), Chamblee, Dallas, Hiram, Woodstock, and Atlanta (Howell Mill Road). My priority is picking an area which is somewhat central but I'm having some trouble doing so. Best case - I'll be at the Powder Springs store 2-4 days a week, and worst case - going to a different store in the above mentioned cities 2-4 times a week, if that makes any sense. Vinings sounds like a cool place to live but looking at the map it seems further south than I need to be. (I could be wrong though.) Anyone have any more suggestions? Thanks.
Vinings might still be your best bet. Via the Cumberland Parkway road (and connections + the Interstates), it gives you relatively easy access to the Powder Springs/Austell/Mableton areas as well as Woodstock and via a slightly longer commute, Canton. Chamblee is kind of "out there" on the other side so no place is going to be central to all of those since more of them are on the Western side, but in Vinings it would give you "easier" access to Chamblee too, compared to other areas. Hey, this is Atlanta - NO commute is easy if you float to various locations.

I live in Powder Springs. I don't wish to contradict other posters, but personally I would avoid the East/West Connector area near the Powder Springs and E/W Wal-mart areas. That area has declined in recent years and I know people who have moved from that area as a result, as well as a couple of business owners who have closed shop to relocate to better areas as well.

You may wish to contact Promove.com which is a free apartment finding service that we approve of here, and which a number of posters have used here and give good marks to. Tell them your needs and areas you'll be commuting to and ask to perhaps focus on the Vinings area and they should give you some choices as there are numerous apartment complexes in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta