Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
MLS = Major League Soccer

Sorry I left out the word "league" earlier

but just because you don't consider it to be major doesn't mean they aren't. I'm not being argumentative just putting that out there.
Because they have the word "Major" in the name, you think it is relevent on the sports landscape? MLS is so far off the radar for sports fans that the league doesn't matter.

Well if that is the case you forgot: Major League Lacrosse Home | Major League Lacrosse

Just because you don't consider it major doesn't mean it isn't. And of course, it has the word Major in it. So there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Because they have the word "Major" in the name, you think it is relevent on the sports landscape? MLS is so far off the radar for sports fans that the league doesn't matter.

Well if that is the case you forgot: Major League Lacrosse Home | Major League Lacrosse

Just because you don't consider it major doesn't mean it isn't. And of course, it has the word Major in it. So there
MLS attracts tens of thousands of fans to games and most cities have dedicated stadiums to soccer. Its a very popular sport. Soccer does indeed round out the top 5 major league sports. Even if it may not be considered "major" by some it is still impressive that Dallas has all five with pretty impressive followings.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
MLS attracts tens of thousands of fans to games and most cities have dedicated stadiums to soccer. Its a very popular sport. Soccer does indeed round out the top 5 major league sports. Even if it may not be considered "major" by some it is still impressive that Dallas has all five with pretty impressive followings.
Hell, Arena League football draws 10,000+ in many cities. That doesn't mean it is a big time sport in America. You are reaching.

I'm not saying soccer isn't a popular sport. It is played by many, many kids around the country... until they outgrow it and realize how boring it is and switch over to football.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
Quote:

but just because you don't consider it to be major doesn't mean they aren't. I'm not being argumentative just putting that out there.
Wait. So is the Major Indoor Soccer League is a major sport? What about the Major Indoor Lacrosse League? Just because a something a major in its name does not mean that it is...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM

227 posts, read 494,793 times
Quote:

MLS is a third tier soccer league, is not a major sport

There is only four majors in the USA. NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB. Everything else is secondary

Old 05-22-2011, 09:14 PM

416 posts, read 1,090,067 times
Instead of bickering about Soccer, . . .
Can someone give us the latest?
I have heard that the deal is done and they are going to Winnipeg,
then, I heard, . . .
that this is unconfirmed and that they ARE NOT ! ! !
Please provide the latest.
Is the announcement still on for Tuesday??????????????

Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
Quote:
not as impressive as having our own resident dallasite around to tell us how impressive it is

nb1968 - a buddy of mine who works in phillips says that it's a done deal, they'll be announcing tuesday. i prefer to hold out hope myself and when the announcement comes tuesday i can drink myself stupid in mourning.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Atlanta is full of transplants that's not the issue, it was the idiot management that screwed this franchise....They have put an inferior product on the ice for 11 years in a row...........PERIOD>>>>........
I am not sure that the northern transplants are that big a factor. Both of the Florida teams have lots of northern transplants in their environs and the Lightning does so-so and the Panthers tend to suck at the gate.

There are wide range of factors I'd say. Pro sports attendance for the other more traditional American sports in Atlanta is not always stellar either, so it was probably too big a gamble to put a non-traditional sport like hockey in there.

There are cities out there that will seemingly support any professional sport, others not so much. Phoenix is another one that has never blown people away with its support of pro sports, even the NFL, MLB.

Dallas I believe has one of the biggest civic pro sports cultures in the U.S. There are ups and downs for sure but as a general rule their teams are supported well.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Atlanta may have a higher percentage of its transplants from the North but not more people. Dallas gets a lot of its new residents from the west coast also. Its not just northeast and midwest folks.

Dallas is the only area to have all the major sports franchises in the southern half of the united states. It's just a sports town.
OH lord someone left the door open.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
OH lord someone left the door open.
Thats right baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta