Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

While I definitely mean no disrespect to the parents featured in this article, however, I think its time that those who live in affluent neighborhoods realize that “drugs” affect all income levels and communities.

In my opinion, the negative drug use in urban communities receive more coverage than those of suburban neighborhoods.

Heroin Overdoses Rattle Affluent Northern Atlanta Suburbs

http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton/heroin-overdoses-rattle-suburbs-946156.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,534 times
Something needs to be done in the white community. No one wants to talk about it but we all know it is a problem and white people need to take responsibility.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
Drug abusers come in all socio-economic classes, whether the drugs are legal or not. It is indeed sad that addiction is so prevalent in American culture.

I think there has been lots of awareness about drug abuse but pointing it out time and time again may get others to think they don't want to go down this road of an early death.

Very unfortunate for their families, but at least the article is pointing out this common problem, where ever it is. Most of us know when people try to break their habits of hard drug abuse, chances of becoming clean are very slim.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM

194 posts, read 618,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Something needs to be done in the white community. No one wants to talk about it but we all know it is a problem and white people need to take responsibility.
I see what you did right there.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post
I see what you did right there.
Uh oh ...here come Mr.Charlie....

Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Sounds to me like those dadgum white people are taking responsibility. They've got coaches, counselors, rehab programs and moms and dads all over it.

However, it's obvious something is broken inside those kids and it's hard to figure out. It's also obvious that somebody around there is dealing heroin.

That's a drug I honestly don't get. Of all the things people might mess with, it's the one that is known to be the most addictive and dangerous. You hear about those things from childhood on, so when someone gets involved with it I have to believe they have some deeply self-destructive feeling inside.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 PM

21 posts, read 48,985 times
Im Chris Zollman, the one in the article. Those were all my friends. The main purpose I wanted to get out there is that there is a huge heroin problem in north fulton. They changed the formula for OC, so people went to heroin. No one wants to believe that this dirty drug could be in an upscale area. But it is huge. I lost 3 friends in 3 weeks. Thats just 3 weeks. In the past 2 years, its in the 20s.Its sad and no one is identifying the problem or speaking out so I decided to email the AJC about it. I use to be a heroin addict but got my life back on track. It is a very hard addiction to beat, and can happen to anyone. Addiction is everywhere:Bankhead to Buckhead

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZollman View Post
Im Chris Zollman, the one in the article. Those were all my friends. The main purpose I wanted to get out there is that there is a huge heroin problem in north fulton. They changed the formula for OC, so people went to heroin. No one wants to believe that this dirty drug could be in an upscale area. But it is huge. I lost 3 friends in 3 weeks. Thats just 3 weeks. In the past 2 years, its in the 20s.Its sad and no one is identifying the problem or speaking out so I decided to email the AJC about it. I use to be a heroin addict but got my life back on track. It is a very hard addiction to beat, and can happen to anyone. Addiction is everywhere:Bankhead to Buckhead
At what level does this tend to start? High school or college?

[Chris, Since you do not have any posting history on this forum, for now I am just going to assume that you are indeed the person referenced.]

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
I know a lot of kids who start using drugs at an early age (4th grade for someone who was close to me).
Kids in upscale areas usually have more disposable income given to them, and there is a lot to steal around the house including cash from purses, wallets that many parents never notice.

The parents themselves are often to busy to notice, or care about educating themselves and paying attention to signs of drug use. And then, the large amounts of people who think that things like that don't happen in their area.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 48,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
At what level does this tend to start? High school or college?

[Chris, Since you do not have any posting history on this forum, for now I am just going to assume that you are indeed the person referenced.]
Well in 2006,2007 everyone in Alpharetta was doing oxycontin. They changed the formula so that it could not be abused. That happened about a year and a half ago. Right when oxys left, heroin took over. From my experience it usually starts at 18+. There are a few sellers up here but for the most part its downtown, west atlanta, bluff area. But I know at least 30 people a day who go down to atl everyday to get it. And these people are not your average druggie. Clean cut, in college, raised well. Addiction goes from Bankhead to Buckhead. It effects anyone. In the article, those were just 3 people in a month....Its been alot more in the past year or so. I personally have given CPR or taking someone to the hospital for overdosing at least 15 times.

But I have seen a senior in highschool do it. However, I do not hang out with the younger people. So it could be younger. But what I can tell you, a huge percentage of highschoolers are doing roxicontin(roxys) which is pure oxycodone. That was big when I was in highschool, and I know it still is because my friends little brother can get it from anyone at school. So for highschool, prescription meds are everywhere. What they dont realize is thats how I started. Start doing more and more, and cant get that high, so you have to go to something stronger. Ive even heard of middle schoolers in Alpharetta doing roxys. Thats one reason why I contacted the ajc about my friends who died. Everyone started out small with lortabs, and died doing heroin.

Last edited by ChrisZollman; 05-18-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta