Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I thought this was America, not Nazi Germany "Show me your papers!"

Why are we still discussing this? the GA law is just political posturing. The AZ law in April was already ruled unconstitutional. The AZ law preempts federal law, which is a no-no.

When the President of the United States of America has to show his papers AGAIN to prove he is a US citizen why are we surprised by any actions of bigoted republicans

Let me clarify, is you're a republican that doesn't mean you're a racist but if you are a racist you're probably a republican.
and if your idiot your probably a Democrat!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I'm writing that one down right now Suprascooby, Classic!...

Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
And anyone for that matter.

There is also another tid bit of how this law could be enforced that they are not seeing.

Let's assume, err, pretend for a moment that only illegal aliens would ever be subject to suspicion of breaking this law. Obviously since non-residents are not afforded the rights the Constitution guarantees to Citizens and legal residents in regard to illegal searches and seizure, due process, and all sorts of other things then it becomes ok to just round people up who are illegal and demand they prove their legality.

Of course, this train of thought is nonsensical since how would one determine some one is not legal by looks or habits alone without breaking the 4th, 5th, 13th, and 14th amendments to the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act of 1964? You see, in America, we (usually) have this legal concept used for all laws called the "Equal Protection clause". Basically, a law can only be legal if it pertains to all residents (legal or not) equally.

Since illegal immigrants do not literally wear signs on their body stating that they are here illegally, there is literally no way to enforce this law in most situations without breaking the Equal Protection clause. Period.

If those in favor of this law have any brilliant way to avoid that, I am all ears. I do suspect though that all I will hear is the sound of Dixie being whistled in the wind...
Well stated, waronxmas.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I thought this was America, not Nazi Germany "Show me your papers!"

Why are we still discussing this? the GA law is just political posturing. The AZ law in April was already ruled unconstitutional. The AZ law preempts federal law, which is a no-no.

When the President of the United States of America has to show his papers AGAIN to prove he is a US citizen why are we surprised by any actions of bigoted republicans

Let me clarify, is you're a republican that doesn't mean you're a racist but if you are a racist you're probably a republican.
You know, I had this thought whilst in the bathroom a moment ago in front of the big porcelain chair (totally apropos to the topic at hand) and realized this law has nothing to do with illegal immigrants:

Birthers think President Obama is not a legal citizen of the United States

Nathan Deal is a Birther

The legislature conviently start drafting a law that states that if you can not produce any documentation proving you are a legal resident of the United States (like, I dunno, a birth certificate), you will be turned over to ICE for deporation.

The law is approved and signed into law by Nathan Deal-Birther

At some point in the next year or so, President Obama will invariably take a trip to Georgia, at which time he would subject to HB 87 and asked to produce his papers to prove his legality as a citizen (like, I dunno, a Birth Certificate)

Deportation begins for President, err, Barry Obama.

Birthers eat cake.

That at least makes more sense in a Machiavellian sort of way than just kicking out day laborers and onion pickers.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
You never know who an illegal immigrant may turn out to be.

Take this guy. It's 1989 and he's working as a welder.

Here he is fifteen years later -- Chief of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins.

Hopkins Medicine Magazine - The Alfredo Story

Glad we didn't round him up and kick him out. Someday he may save your life, or that of your child or someone else dear to you.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

538 posts, read 925,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
You stated 25 million illegal immigrants live in America. Why don't you show us the web site or email where you found this data?
The fact of the matter (which you know of course) is that nobody knows exactly how many illegals are in this country. That's my estimate....what's yours?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

538 posts, read 925,986 times
Quote:
NO ONE knows the correct number of illegals in this country and for ANYONE to claim otherwise is a damn fool!
@suprascooby: Thanks for helping to educate this moron....

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I pulled away from the birther issue from the start, but otherwise I am with Alex Jones and company on a lot of other viewpoints.

JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
But wait, the government says otherwise, and they are always right! How could anyone challenge the estimate of the federal government? They have such an outstanding reputation in everything they do!
You seem more than willing to let the buffoons in government have sweeping access to your personal life to verify your legal status here. Makes estimating the number of illegals here seem pretty innocuous, no?

Of course, reputable independent groups mostly agree the number is between 10-12 million illegals living here. I'd love to see an example of an organization that puts the number at 25 million. Why is it so hard to find one for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta