Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
What I can't understand is why there seems to be no plan to connect Six Flags with the MARTA train.
My guess would be that even Six Flags management would oppose this. Been there lately? They sometimes have a pretty huge problem with teens getting a bit wild and wannabee gangbangers hanging out and getting kicked out of the park as it is. Adding a train to the park would just increase that particular problem for that particular venue. And eventually, it would add fuel to any anti-MARTA fires that are out there as people would go, "See what happened to Six Flags???" after it opened.

A similar thing happened a good number of years ago when the Lenox station opened. Petty crimes (shoplifting) increased significantly at the mall after the station opened, and the lower level food court and movie theater were overrun by unruly teens. There were articles in the AJC at the time about the issue and many store owners threatened to close and move out of Lenox because of it. New management and better security eventually handled the problem and calmed things down, but that whole scene back then did fuel anti-train mentalities as I lived in that area at the time and many people I knew developed the, "Look what happened to Lenox - I don't want the train coming near MY house/business!!", thoughts.

So longer answer - but shorter result - Six Flags themselves would most likely not support a Six Flags rail extension, even if they talked Cobb into it (doubtful in itself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Are they really considering Mag-Lev trains from Arts Center to Cumberland? Isn't that a bit excessive? (And expensive?)
I think this was only considered because "American Maglev" (a company that develops Maglev trains) is located locally (Powder Springs, off of Hwy 278). They have a prototype maglev train they showcase to potential buyers around the world there (NOT open to the public, FYI, and they won't even reply to individual inquiries about their system, etc, so consider them to be a "do not disturb" company). Maybe they thought that since they were local they'd get a "discount", but the fact is, Maglev tech is way beyond any current U.S. city's budget, so don't expect to see that anytime soon. It will be one of the ideas cut from the list of wants before the regional vote. We'll be lucky to see old style commuter rails make it on there.

Cobb County has added to their list a LIGHT rail system that would in theory, go from the Arts Center station to Cumberland, to eventually extend to the Kennesaw State University area, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Try this link: Updated: Metro Atlanta's transportation wish list *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/updated-metro-atlantas-transportation-910776.html - broken link). There are actually lots of projects still on the wish lists for various counties. What I can't understand is why there seems to be no plan to connect Six Flags with the MARTA train.
Well, there is a planned extension of MARTA's west line one stop out. That wouldn't bring it all the way to Six Flags, but it'd get a bit closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Are they really considering Mag-Lev trains from Arts Center to Cumberland? Isn't that a bit excessive? (And expensive?)

Updated: Metro Atlanta's transportation wish list *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/updated-metro-atlantas-transportation-910776.html?appSession=932299916959254&RecordID=95 &PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=5&CPIsortType=&CPIo rderBy= - broken link)

People here were talking about wanting an express train huh?
Well MAGLEV doesn't necessarily have to be one of those super high-speed rail lines. It's just another form of propulsion. That said, it looks like that light rail looks to be the prime contender for the corridor from around Brookhaven through Cumberland and up into Cobb. Also, I see that Cobb Pkwy. is due for a widening, which could be paired with the proposed light rail line.

My biggest question about this line is how they're going to get it from Midtown to 75. I could see it going on 17th St. through Atlantic Station--a dedicated transit lane is there already--but where are they going to get the room on Northside Drive?

BTW. It sounds like the 285 BRT route would have its own right-of-way. I wonder how this would play out? Would they be parallel routes that merge into the onramps and intersections, presumably with traffic lights to let the buses go first? And what's the word on the collector-distributor lanes on 400 north of 285?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM

45 posts, read 76,975 times
Quote:
Try this link: Updated: Metro Atlanta's transportation wish list *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/updated-metro-atlantas-transportation-910776.html - broken link). There are actually lots of projects still on the wish lists for various counties. What I can't understand is why there seems to be no plan to connect Six Flags with the MARTA train.
Totally agree with Marsha33 thoughts on MARTA rail extension to Six Flags. Also, the concerns raised by atlantagreg30127 above are equally valid and shows that MARTA and Six Flags security would need to discourage loitering outside the park - security is an absolute requirement. I believe Six Flags would support the MARTA extension because their visitor count is down in recent years and having to go through bankruptcy restructuring - Six Flags would be open to the idea of increased traffic provided by a MARTA train station.

As an overall strategy, MARTA needs to connect to high volume destinations within Metro Atlanta. This would incrementally increase local MARTA ridership from all points and also increase Atlanta's status as a convenient convention/vacation destination allowing visitors to connect from Hartsfield Jackson International Airport to downtown hotels, convention centers, shopping, and major entertainment attractions without the necessity and expense of a car rental.

Priority MARTA rail extensions should include:

1. Cumberland - 12 Million+ annual visitors. The Cumberland Area is home to several fortune 500 companies and over 39,000 jobs. The Cobb Galleria Convention Center sees over 1 Million annual visitors. The Cobb Energy Center is home to Atlanta Symphony and Altanta Ballet and sees over 250,000 annual visitors. Cumberland Mall is a major Metro Atlanta shopping destination.

2. Six Flags Over Georgia - 2 Million+ annual visitors. Six Flags is Cobb County's fourth largest employer. The Six Flags / Fulton Industrial Blvd area is home to 10,000+ jobs bringing combined potential annual visitors for the area to over 5 Million.

3. Stone Mountain Park - 4 Million+ annual visitors. Stone Mountain Park has golf and major entertainment attractions with two Marriott hotels inside the park including Evergreen Marriott Conference Resort which hosts many corporate conference events each year.

4. Turner Field - 800,000+ annual attendance. Home to the Atlanta Braves Major League Baseball and hosts several non-baseball events annually. Turner Field was also the start/finish line for the 2011 Thanksgiving Day Half-Marathon event which had over 12,000 runners.

5. Grant Park / Zoo Atlanta - 750,000+ annual attendance. Grant Park is also home to the Cyclorama attraction.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

45 posts, read 76,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
After reading about how Fayette county government is against any form of public transit, a co-worker and I went out this afternoon to review the car tags at the MARTA College Park and East Point train stations just for fun.

We found a combined total of 48 Fayette county tags, along with over thirty car tags from Henry county-- and this was not covering all the cars in the parking lot.

So, while I respect the fact that Fayette county does not want any transit options, I do not like the fact that their residents use the MARTA system, but no one wants to pay for it. In my opinion, these Fayette and Henry county cars were taking space away from residents of South Fulton county.
Reminder, the June 2012 transit proposition is a combined 10-county vote. The vote is NOT county by county. So if the transit proposition passes, it doesn't really matter if Fayette County fails to pass the proposition - they will be forced to go along with it anyway.

Fulton = 920,581 22.65%
Gwinnett = 805,321 19.82%
DeKalb = 692,893 17.05%
Cobb = 688,078 16.93%
Clayton = 236,517 5.82%
Cherokee = 214,346 5.27%
Henry = 203,922 5.02%
Douglas = 110,527 2.72%
Fayette = 106,567 2.62%
Rockdale = 85,215 2.10%
---------

As the numbers above show, most of the weight is in the core 5 counties. If Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton counties vote 60% approval ... with Cobb and Gwinnett voting 50% ... then only 24% approval is needed from the remaining counties. In my opinion, the June 2012 transit vote is going to be a dead heat. The marketing will be crucial in the transit campaign.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Turner Field is closer to 2.5 million in average home game attendance.

But I'm not too wild about a MARTA line going there. The bus works fine as it is, and the stadium sits empty ~275 days per year. And there isn't much going on around there besides that.

I'm more in favor of a streetcar (or LRT) going down RDA from West End station to the zoo. It would be a lot less expensive and more reasonable. You could cobble together particularly long trains during gametime, which could hold hundreds of fans.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM

567 posts, read 889,620 times
@Nuclear Density: Your posts are very informed and all of what you are proposing sounds excellent. However, one thing I think everyone in this thread is forgetting is the following: Politics and Perception. Plenty of people at Marta would love to make extensions to various places. Heck they have done extensive studies regarding how to improve their system, BUT one of the biggest reasons projects are not realized, even when the funding is there, is because there is no political will. That will, invariably rests on perception. You have NIMBYs all over the place who have the perception that public transport brings crime. News flash! In order to be a world class city, we NEED transit. BART, CTA, METRO, the MTA in NY all of these are examples of extensive transit systems in world class cities. Has crime risen dramatically and the very framework of those cities administration is collapsing? NO! If Atlanta really wants to step it up to the big leagues then it’s got to put on big league apparel... beefing up its transit system. However, in the end it all comes down to the public. As we resist the growth of MARTA with the war cry of "It brings crime!" World class cities keep getting bigger and we fall behind our region and our nation as they progress. So I say all that to say: For those who are pro-transit... VOTE! Tell your friends to vote! Get active in the legislative process and let your law makers know, that you want Atlanta to be a world class city! Alright I'm done ranting

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
We also need private civic-minded leadership from the business side of the house who's willing to step up & take the bully pulpit to the political leadership & the masses.

This leader should have the ability to craft a message that appeals to all sort of ideologies. This leader should also be able to quickly, succinctly, intelligently, emotionally, and last honestly, counter every argument the nay-sayers bring to the table, and then:

sell, sell, sell.

Henry Grady was that type of leader. Robert Woodruff is another. I certainly hope that another prominent business leader(s) would step up to the plate like they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
@Nuclear Density: Your posts are very informed and all of what you are proposing sounds excellent. However, one thing I think everyone in this thread is forgetting is the following: Politics and Perception. Plenty of people at Marta would love to make extensions to various places. Heck they have done extensive studies regarding how to improve their system, BUT one of the biggest reasons projects are not realized, even when the funding is there, is because there is no political will. That will, invariably rests on perception. You have NIMBYs all over the place who have the perception that public transport brings crime. News flash! In order to be a world class city, we NEED transit. BART, CTA, METRO, the MTA in NY all of these are examples of extensive transit systems in world class cities. Has crime risen dramatically and the very framework of those cities administration is collapsing? NO! If Atlanta really wants to step it up to the big leagues then it’s got to put on big league apparel... beefing up its transit system. However, in the end it all comes down to the public. As we resist the growth of MARTA with the war cry of "It brings crime!" World class cities keep getting bigger and we fall behind our region and our nation as they progress. So I say all that to say: For those who are pro-transit... VOTE! Tell your friends to vote! Get active in the legislative process and let your law makers know, that you want Atlanta to be a world class city! Alright I'm done ranting

Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
We also need private civic-minded leadership from the business side of the house who's willing to step up & take the bully pulpit to the political leadership & the masses.

This leader should have the ability to craft a message that appeals to all sort of ideologies. This leader should also be able to quickly, succinctly, intelligently, emotionally, and last honestly, counter every argument the nay-sayers bring to the table, and then:

sell, sell, sell.

Henry Grady was that type of leader. Robert Woodruff is another. I certainly hope that another prominent business leader(s) would step up to the plate like they did.
I'd like to see some of our prominent rap stars pick up the ball on the transit issue. In many ways they are the voice of the private sector in today's ATL.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
That will, invariably rests on perception. You have NIMBYs all over the place who have the perception that public transport brings crime. News flash! In order to be a world class city, we NEED transit. BART, CTA, METRO, the MTA in NY all of these are examples of extensive transit systems in world class cities. Has crime risen dramatically and the very framework of those cities administration is collapsing? NO! If Atlanta really wants to step it up to the big leagues then it’s got to put on big league apparel... beefing up its transit system. However, in the end it all comes down to the public. As we resist the growth of MARTA with the war cry of "It brings crime!"
Don't know if you saw these two studies on crime and transit that I posted in another thread, but they are pretty good.

The first one is a paper from UCLA regarding the Los Angeles Green Line.

http://www.uctc.net/papers/550.pdf

The second specifically pertains to MARTA.

Rail Transit and Neighborhood Crime: The Case of Atlanta, Georgia

Both studies concluded that transit does not bring crime.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
As part of a diverse coalition of businessmen, yeah, I can see that happening.

But not on their own.

Any rap stars like Ludacris or Big Boi would likely be preaching to the choir, and unfortunately the choir doesn't seem to have much pull at this point in Cobb, Gwinnett, and any other conservative-leaning counties outside of Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd like to see some of our prominent rap stars pick up the ball on the transit issue. In many ways they are the voice of the private sector in today's ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta