Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 13,518 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -- I know these types of questions are posted all of the time, so thanks in advance for your help.

Here's my situation -- I live in a condo in Midtown. My place was great when it was just me and the dog, but in the past 5 years my family has grown -- it's now me, my husband, our baby and two dogs. Needless to say, we are ready for a little more space.

Our plan is to rent our condo. We are just a few steps away from GA Tech, so I don't think we will have problems finding a renter. We have, however, had problems finding a new home.

In a dream world, we would move to Rosewalk in Decatur. We can't afford it right now.

Our budget is $250k-$310k. We want a single family house with a yard. Given our growing family, we'd like a 3/2 with at least 1600 sq ft.

I work in Midtown and my husband works near Lithonia. I don't drive during rush hour.

We have a two-month old son. We'd like to live where there is a good elementary school. Access to public transit is not important.

We are an interracial couple, and we prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood.
We want to live in a walkable area -- close to parks, restaurants, etc. We also want a good neighborhood vibe.

We've been looking for months, but I haven't been able to find the space + location on our budget. I love Oakhurst, but we can only get about 1300 sq ft there. We live in 1100 sq ft now. We don't have tons of stuff, but we would like to have another baby in a couple of years.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there other parts of Atlanta/Decatur I am missing? I know Inman Park/Candler Park/Va Hi/Lake Claire are out given our budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,592 times
You should be able to get a bit more than 1300 sq ft in Oakhurst. Also I've seen some in Rosewalk that are listed somewhat close to your high end and could possibly be negotiated down to fit. There aren't any listings at the moment but one pending for 310k. It sounds like you're wanting newish construction? That is rare for sure. If you want to PM me your home requirements, I'll be glad to give it a go and see what I can come up with. Just doing a quick FLMS search I came up with quite a few that were over 1400 and priced within your budget.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 76,138 times
Grant Park. Plenty for sale in your budget range, right on I-20 so easy access to Lithonia, great schools and TONS of kids.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:36 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
What about Kirkwood?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 13,518 times
I'll have to check out Grant Park - I wasn't sure about the schools there. I haven't looked much at Kirkwood. I had heard it wasn't quite as safe as the other areas. Thoughts?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 AM

I've always been under the impression that Kirkwood and Grant Park are nearly identical regarding crime. Both seem to have very active and involved neighborhood organizations. But I have noticed that Kirkwood has more homes with more space at the lower end of your price range than Grant Park... Just do some searches on Trulia or intownhomes247.

I'm no expert, but I have found it helpful to log into the neighborhood websites and ask questions. I have found that they provide much more thorough and accurate information about a particular area than City-Data.

I have also found it helpful to go to open houses in both areas to get a feel for the neighborhoods and the homes that are available. Kirkwood (and Grant Park) were off our list for a while based on what people were telling me until we actually started going inside the homes, walking around, and spending time in the areas... I think both have their pros and cons... But I think you'd be surprised at what you find...

Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,445,814 times
I would agree that Kirkwood and Grant Park are very similar in terms of crime. Some more crime than CP, IP, Decatur, but I wouldn't think much different from GATech area.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:58 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
I am a big fan of the North Decatur area--30033.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I would agree that Kirkwood and Grant Park are very similar in terms of crime. Some more crime than CP, IP, Decatur, but I wouldn't think much different from GATech area.
Interesting. I agree that Kirkwood and Grant Park would have more crime than Candler Park, Inman Park, and Decatur City. But I think the crime in the GA Tech area is a lot worse than in Kirkwood and Grant Park.

I've just attributed it to the Ga Tech area's transient population (students) and the relative lack of collective neighborhood/community involvement and children... What schools do kids in the Ga Tech area (West Midtown/Westside) attend? Plus the area has always struck me as a little industrial while Kirkwood and GP seem to be more family friendly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: