Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,807 times

Advertisements

Ormewood Park QuickTrip files permits despite neighborhood backlash | Atlanta Restaurant and Retail Openings & Closings | What Now Atlanta

It'll be across from the Little Azios at Ormewood and Moreland. Is a gas station a good choice for this intersection? No doubt QTs are nice, but it doesn't seem like it'll do much to make that intersection more of a neighborhood node.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Ormewood Park QuickTrip files permits despite neighborhood backlash | Atlanta Restaurant and Retail Openings & Closings | What Now Atlanta

It'll be across from the Little Azios at Ormewood and Moreland. Is a gas station a good choice for this intersection? No doubt QTs are nice, but it doesn't seem like it'll do much to make that intersection more of a neighborhood node.
I had seen signs around saying "No QT" and I assumed they were referring to Quick Trip. I had no idea where they were planning it until now though. Honestly, I don't think it's that great of a spot for a huge gas station like that. I can see it turning into a traffic mess and I agree with the residents on this one.

I actually like QT but I think it will be much too big and busy to plop down in Ormewood Park. There are already almost a dozen gas stations on that stretch from Wylie to Custer. There's really no need for a huge QT. As a bit of a hypocrite I admit a Trader Joe's would be kinda cool and useful there but I don't know if it would fit on that lot when including parking space.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
It's a shame QT can't tear down one of those crappy gas stations closer to I-20 and build there. I love QT and its brand, and think that it's not necessarily a negative thing for a neighborhood. They tend to be very clean, inexpensive, safe, and well-run in my experience.

I can understand a neighborhood being against it, certainly--this spot will likely stay a gas station for decades to come. It's not a very good transitional use at all. But sometimes you wonder what these neighborhood groups would be in favor of having built there.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM

They better not touch Buddy's. I happen to like that rundown, cluster#%&$ of a gas station. The family that runs it is cool and its got a character that fits in with East Atlanta Village. It's really not that bad. On the other hand, they can bulldoze the Shell across the street today and I wouldn't mind it a bit. The guys that run that place are absolute jerks.

Let me clarify my earlier post a little. I really don't have a problem with QT putting a station on Moreland but I just think that putting it on that particular plot is very bad for the neighborhood. I'd rather see development like the Little Azio center across the street. Both the areas immediately north and south of I-20 are pretty funky in layout and don't really offer a large enough plot for a QT. I could possibly see one at the intersection of Glenwood and Moreland but I'm sure that would draw just as much of a fight. Another possible spot would be at Custer and Moreland but that would be pretty far from 20 and it's fairly sparse south of there.

As far as cheap gas goes, the Kroger right down the street has a gas station although I believe it shuts down at night.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
I happen to hate QT gas....well my jeep hates its

It enough traffic at Moreland and I-20 so we DONT need another gas station!

Actually the buddys across the street from shell is bum city...they could use a replacement...but not QT....QT stations are normally spacious...I cant figure out anywhere they could put one on Moreland.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
That intersection does seem to be much too small for a QT.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post

Actually the buddys across the street from shell is bum city...they could use a replacement...but not QT....QT stations are normally spacious...I cant figure out anywhere they could put one on Moreland.
Yeah, Buddy's has a few bums but it's not nearly as bad as the Texaco across 20 at Memorial. I'd accept a remodel along the lines of the Buddys at North and Highland.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
So there's more than one Buddy's, eh? I frequent the one @North and Manuel's Tavern (I feel they should rename that section of Highland after the Tavern...but that's just me).

It looks like a dump on the outside but it's actually quite nice on the inside and has a killer selection of beer. And King of Pops.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM

396 posts, read 601,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post

i've noticed that my car hates it as well, and that's with the premium stuff! whenever i fill up with quicktrip gas, my engine misfires constantly (sr20de with a gt28rs and jwt ecu tune)

---

if quicktrip could change it up a little from their usual uber-suburban styled acre of asphalt with pumps as the focal point, i might be able to give them a pass - their stores are always nice and clean, and that's always appreciated

Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,807 times
There are smarter way to design gas stations. I don't think it's been attempted in Atlanta. Of course, this doesn't address the issues of light, noise, and traffic, but it is better from an architecture standpoint.http://www.rochestersubway.com/images/photos/milwaukee_new_urban_gas_station.jpghttp://www.newurbandesigngroup.com/Projects_files/shapeimage_12.png (broken link)

Unfortunately I can't find more pics right now but the idea is that you place the store portion on the corner at the sidewalk and the pumps go behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta