Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedeez View Post
One word: Theft
No. Shrink is probably worse in Buckhead than in any other section of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why is that, waronxmas?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Should've left Buckhead Village alone is what I say.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I don't get the Family Dollar quite frankly. I like the dollar store or 99 cent store....

Bankhead, I mean Buckhead should open the largest dollar store in this new development That would be awesome lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it but what would be awesome about it?

Seems like there are lots of better spaces in Buckhead for a new dollar store. I'd put it where the Borders bookstore used to be.
It would be cool to have a Jack's 99 Cent store in that old Borders. It has a similar layout to a couple of their stores in Manhattan. I think it would do quite well in Buckhead. Just because folks have tons of money doesn't mean they turn their noses up at dollar stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Retail is passe. Let's just focus on keeping Phipps and Lenox nice, and enhancing them. People flock to the internet nowadays to buy stuff, and I'm starting to feel like the retail real estate market is a zero sum game as a consequence.

I think restaurant/entertainment is where it's at moving forward. Which is a mixed blessing: lots fewer SF, but more employment and (imo) enjoyment.
I think retail will be around for a while. I don't see Wal-Mart going anywhere soon. I also think the high-end retailers will always be around. People go to upscale stores as much for the level of service as they do the products being sold. I think internet retail will get stronger but I think the limit of its effect on brick and mortar retail has already been reached. People still enjoy going out to shop.

Quote:
Having worked in retail in Buckhead I agree with this completely. The main reason is simply that there is more stuff worth stealing in Buckhead. It's still the main shopping area of Atlanta.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Why is that, waronxmas?
I'm not hip... What is "Shrink"? I always thought that shrink is what happens when I dry my clothes too long.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,700 times
Quote:
No, Buckhead wasn't trying to become the Rodeo Drive of the South. That was a marketing slogan bandied about by a real estate developer.

And hell yeah there have always been chicken restaurants in Buckhead. And hardware stores, barber shops, chainsaw repair places, garages, delis, adult entertainment emporiums, greasy spoons, daycare centers and umpteen zillion ordinary places for ordinary people who live and work in Buckhead. This notion that Buckhead is some glitzy area populated by rich people is nonsense foisted on Buckhead by others. We certainly didn't ask for it and don't like it.
Oh OK, so it was all just unwarranted hype by developers. Gotcha.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm not hip... What is "Shrink"? I always thought that shrink is what happens when I dry my clothes too long.
Isn't it what happens when it's cold out or when you stay in the pool too long?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Quote:
Pfft. The absolute worst thing about living in Buckhead is that there are no dollar stores. Period.

I for one would welcome the upscale version of the Dollar General.
Seriously, why do you live in Buckhead? What about Buckhead appeals to you? The demographics don't suit your taste (too "non-diverse"), the politics don't suit your taste (too Republican), the socioeconomic status of the residents don't suit your tastes (too wealthy). And now you are complaining that there isn't a Dollar Store in Buckhead? I mean seriously, move already.

By the way, to anyone wishing for it, a dollar store being able to locate in Buckhead would mean something is seriously wrong. For those who want Atlanta to ever make it to the next level (or God forbid, not go into decline), I would be careful what you wish for when it comes to Buckhead. Of course, for those who would love nothing more than for Buckhead to resemble Bankhead, demographically, this warning is meaningless.

Quote:
It's a weird (well not really when you get into the shameful socioeconomic reasons behind it) phenomenon in urban cities across the country that certain neighborhoods will have a dollar store every few blocks but no large grocery stores with produce and fresh meat at all (or just no grocery stores) then you will have neighborhoods that have a grocery store every few blocks but no dollar stores in sight.
This "phenomenom" you speak of actually has a name: supply and demand. If grocery stores could make a profit in those areas, they would be there.

What do you think the real reason is though? Surely it cannot be economics.

Quote:
No, it isn't. Dillard's at Atlantic Station has the highest shrink rate out of any department store in Atlanta, and any Dillard's store nationwide. Do you have any idea why the Macy's downtown closed? How about the Kroger across from city hall? Stores with high shrink rates don't stay in business, no matter how busy they are.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Undetected shoplifting, either by employees or "customers."

Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Seriously, why do you live in Buckhead? What about Buckhead appeals to you? The demographics don't suit your taste (too "non-diverse"), the politics don't suit your taste (too Republican), the socioeconomic status of the residents don't suit your tastes (too wealthy). And now you are complaining that there isn't a Dollar Store in Buckhead? I mean seriously, move already.
Because it's a free country and I can live wherever I please thank you very much.

Quote:
By the way, to anyone wishing for it, a dollar store being able to locate in Buckhead would mean something is seriously wrong. For those who want Atlanta to ever make it to the next level (or God forbid, not go into decline), I would be careful what you wish for when it comes to Buckhead. Of course, for those who would love nothing more than for Buckhead to resemble Bankhead, demographically, this warning is meaningless.
LOL, you are just ridiculous dude.

Quote:
This "phenomenom" you speak of actually has a name: supply and demand. If grocery stores could make a profit in those areas, they would be there.

What do you think the real reason is though? Surely it cannot be economics.
I'm not sure you are mature enough to discuss the topic rationally.

Quote:
No, it isn't. Dillard's at Atlantic Station has the highest shrink rate out of any department store in Atlanta, and any Dillard's store nationwide. Do you have any idea why the Macy's downtown closed? How about the Kroger across from city hall? Stores with high shrink rates don't stay in business, no matter how busy they are.
Dillards is a single store. Are you suggesting it somehow has/had a worse shrink problem than every single store in Buckhead combined? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta