Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 230,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Why not move out of the country?
Don't you think, logistically, that would be very difficult? How would I move my car, find an apartment, find a job, etc.?

Quote:
Seriously, if you grew up in Atlanta you won't be *shocked* culturally by anything. There might be cities that are more this and less that, etc, but nothing that really jolts your sense of being.
Dang. Well, I am not sure I want to go into shock. What about culture surprised?

Quote:
But if you were to move to South Africa...could be very interesting. Or Namibia. They speak English there so it wouldn't be too difficult. If you want to learn Portuguese, move to Mozambique. And if you REALLY want culture shock, move to Angola (Portuguese) or Mali (French).
I don't want to live in Africa, and I don't speak any foreign languages, so that leaves: Canada, Australia, NZ, and the U.K. I am Italian, so that would be really cool, but my grandparents refused to pass down the language.
Quote:
But I can't imagine there's anywhere in the US that's sooooo different you'll feel like you're in a different world, so to speak.
What do you think is the total opposite of Atlanta, major-city-wise, in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
It won't really. It might be stressful for a while for someone who's not used to the break-neck pace it moves at but that's about it.

Culture shocks aren't all that fun actually. They can lead to depression. I did a three month stint in Japan back in 2005 and after about three weeks, I was depressed and felt isolated. The secret though is to not fight the culture and instead accept it and go with it. Once you do that, it's much better.
Yes, I think Japan would do that.

As for New York, I feel like that is cool but it's also so overdone. Plus, it would still be the east coast. Do you think NYC is the most opposite from Atlanta?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If you want culture shock, San Diego is definitely the place to accomplish that coming from Atlanta.
Good to hear! Thanks for your post.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
I have family in that area. San Diego's downtown area is really nice, very clean, much nicer than Atlanta's downtown. The only downside may be the cost of living.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Keep in mind that things in California are deeply superficial In other words, don't expect anything very intellectual, even if people are smart. It's extremely PC here so nobody talks about anything. Also, there are ALOT less black/AA people here than in Atlanta, which might be a culture shock of sorts.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Well, when I was suggesting moving out of the country I suppose I had in mind what everyone I work with, who moved overseas for work, has done, which is to put all your stuff in storage and go...but these are people who have a job waiting.

So, for your -- get a job first, sell your car, move.

Actually, South Africa and Namibia would be fun. They're pretty modern and English speaking (also Afrikaans, but everyone speaks English from what I've experienced).

Honestly, though, I think you won't feel like a fish out of water anywhere. If you're really just looking for a change in pace then I think the West Coast, in general, will fit the bill.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Hong Kong, Tokyo, an African city. I just don't think you'll have culture shock in the US.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hong Kong, Tokyo, an African city. I just don't think you'll have culture shock in the US.
My family experienced culture shock on moving to Cobb County from British Columbia, and another C-D member with whom I've exchanged messages experienced the same thing on moving from Seattle. This isn't because we were terribly provincial, either - the adults in both families have lived in a variety of places, some on other continents.

So, maybe it's easier to go from Atlanta to Seattle than vice-versa, and maybe the OP is a liberal ITPer with more west coast-ish tastes and opinions, but seeing as he considers San Francisco "too 'out there'" I doubt that. I suspect he'd find culture shock in Seattle.

Hey, OP, you do realize Seattle gets less precipitation than Atlanta, on average? Admittedly, the skies are grey more often in Seattle, though.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM

I think i derailed this thread with the title.

My definition of culture shock: "Wow, they do that really different in Atlanta!", not "Wow, that exists?" or "I want to go home because this place is so different that I am depressed." I hope that makes sense? Maybe culture surprised is better?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Keep in mind that things in California are deeply superficial In other words, don't expect anything very intellectual, even if people are smart. It's extremely PC here so nobody talks about anything.
That's interesting. Are you saying that people would rather talk about, say, their favorite car then a presidential election? That's not necessarily bad. Coming from law school, where dorks love to show how intellectual they are, I could use a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta