Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Here is the AJC article comparing our TOD in Atlanta to Washington DC's since our system's were built around the same time. With this transportation tax about to be voted on, what chance do we have that our system will be built out and we get TOD development around our Marta station's?

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/mass-tran...le-956519.html

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-25-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,288,455 times
You should have posted things this way:

The evolution of Metrorail, 1976-2010 - Greater Greater Washington

Mass transit: A tale of two cities *| ajc.com

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,282,240 times
Each one teach one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlkingofthesouth View Post
copyrighted article removed - link remains

Mass transit: A tale of two cities *| ajc.com
Such an awesome first post! Love it, love it, love it!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-25-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,383,274 times
The most important quote of the whole article.

Quote:
Plus, more than 70 percent of the walkable, rail-served development is taking place in the suburbs. It is more about the transformation of the suburbs than redevelopment of the city.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Lookie here...

"Why Washington is better than Atlanta: Atlanta and Washington both had few walkable places in 1976; today, our area has many while Atlanta still has few. A big difference: we invested in Metro while Atlanta let MARTA stagnate. (AJC)"

Lunch links: How we compare - Greater Greater Washington

Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Sigh.

What could have been.

But hey, y'all...we still can. Let's hope and dream...and get to it!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,496,908 times
Both great reads. However how is their rail doing financially? Is it also bleeding money?

Developing Densely: Estimating the Effect of Subway Growth on New York City Land Uses - Transport Research International Documentation - TRID

Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,901,686 times
Meh, I find both articles lacking.

In regard to the part about WMATA and DC, they bandied about the term "Washington DC had few walkable areas in 1976". Excuse me while I give the gas face....

Seriously, DC had few walkable areas? DC by design is one of Americas most walkable cities so I am not sure what they are talking about there. Perhaps they left off the rest of that statement which probably goes "DC had few walkable areas that I would feel safe walking in and/or appeal to my yuppie ideal of walkable".

Secondly, if you just look at the area in which MARTA serves it has been a smashing success despite all the FUD and unfounded fears about it's safety. It's presence revitalized many areas of the city that were downtrodden at the time such as Midtown, Decatur proper, and pretty much all the hip east side neighborhoods (my how short memories are that forget that those places once were on hard times). There also have been tangible large scale TOD around certain MARTA stations like Lindbergh and the area around Sandy Springs station. And lets not forget that MARTA connected dozens of neighborhoods and districts together all over this city.

Are there opportunities to improve? To say yes is an understatement. Is it perfect? No. But act as if MARTA is some how deficient or a failure because counties that neither paid for it or wanted didn't benefit from it's construction is extremely short sighted. I'm tired of the City of Atlanta having to take all the criticism for the failings of municipalities that purposefully did not take part in our progress.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,282,240 times
I myself would also lay a lot of blame for MARTA & Georgia transit in general's lack of progress at the state legislature level as well.

Far too often these state representatives & state senators try to milk those unfounded surburban/exurban fears of transit for short-term political gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meh, I find both articles lacking.

In regard to the part about WMATA and DC, they bandied about the term "Washington DC had few walkable areas in 1976". Excuse me while I give the gas face....

Seriously, DC had few walkable areas? DC by design is one of Americas most walkable cities so I am not sure what they are talking about there. Perhaps they left off the rest of that statement which probably goes "DC had few walkable areas that I would feel safe walking in and/or appeal to my yuppie ideal of walkable".

Secondly, if you just look at the area in which MARTA serves it has been a smashing success despite all the FUD and unfounded fears about it's safety. It's presence revitalized many areas of the city that were downtrodden at the time such as Midtown, Decatur proper, and pretty much all the hip east side neighborhoods (my how short memories are that forget that those places once were on hard times). There also have been tangible large scale TOD around certain MARTA stations like Lindbergh and the area around Sandy Springs station. And lets not forget that MARTA connected dozens of neighborhoods and districts together all over this city.

Are there opportunities to improve? To say yes is an understatement. Is it perfect? No. But act as if MARTA is some how deficient or a failure because counties that neither paid for it or wanted didn't benefit from it's construction is extremely short sighted. I'm tired of the City of Atlanta having to take all the criticism for the failings of municipalities that purposefully did not take part in our progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta