Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 PM

50 posts, read 128,629 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need some advice on the job market in Atlanta. I've been having trouble finding employment in Atlanta because I currently live out of state, so I feel it may be easier to go ahead and relocate and then continue my search. Is it feasible to move to ATL before securing a permanent job? I don't have a problem with temping until I find permanent employment (or waitressing if I have to). My field is accounting and I have a bachelor's degree. I will have about 7k with me. I am a divorced, single mom as well. I've also considered Dallas, but something keeps drawing me back to Atlanta. I currently live in MS....so yeah....its time to move! I need a fresh start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
It would probably depend on what type of work you are seeking. But, I have two home from college for the summer, and they both found 2 jobs each. It seems harder to find a true full-time position in some areas, but there are jobs here if you are flexible and have some living money saved up.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

What areas do you consider the most difficult to find employment? Is accounting one of them?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
If you have a child (or children) under the age of thirteen, I would recommend seeing if they could stay with a trusted relative or friend, until you were able to find stable employment.

Next, I would go ahead and start contacting some temporary agencies and like Encadria, Randstad , Spherion and Delta Staffing so you can take their testing requirements online. This will save you time once you get and schedule your in-office appointment. In addition, you may also want to try some of the accounting and financial based agencies such as Robert Half that specialize in permanent and temporary placement.

Next, if you are able to leave your child (or children in MS), then I would recommend getting a small studio apartment in a good location that would let you rent on a month to month basis. However, it may be a difficult getting a place until you at least find temporary employment.

With that being said, I suggest you continue praying and asking for guidance on where you should relocate to get a job and begin your career, before taking that leap of faith. While you can afford to make some mistakes along the way when you are just relocating yourself, those same little mistakes can often be costly when relocating involves children.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
With that being said, I suggest you continue praying and asking for guidance on where you should relocate to get a job and begin your career, before taking that leap of faith. While you can afford to make some mistakes along the way when you are just relocating yourself, those same little mistakes can often be costly when relocating involves children.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will. I'm scared smitless to do anything, but fear could forever keep me languishing here. I will do the things you've suggested.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Yea, tough job market for many. Great post above mine by LynnHarris.

Hopefully you can get everything organized before your move. Just keep in mind, the job market is very tough. I would try getting a decent job before committing to moving (anywhere).

There are accounting / book keeping jobs here, but even now the market is tough and employers are selective as they are for most fields right now. Entry level out of college for accounting can pay roughly 30-40K in ATL area, but getting the job is probably best through temping from what little I know personally. If you have experience, your yearly salary could be a bit higher than what I mention, but wages here have gone down some for most of us or stayed stagnant the last few years.

Given your situation, I would also consider Dallas as a possibility for a job as well.
Best of luck in job hunting and the move!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 PM

I am sure you have probably checked all the major job searching sites like Career Builder, and Monster...here are a few more (if you don't already have them) to add to your job searching list:

http://opportunityknocks.org/JobSeek...chJobsForm.asp

www.idealist.org

www.indeed.com

www.pac.org/jobs

http://www.atlantagajobstoday.com

http://philanthropy.com/jobCategory/Corporatefoundation/208/

http://foundationcenter.org/pnd/jobs/

http://stylecareers.com/candidates/joblist.asp (accounting & finance category)

Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM

One more thing I wanted to add...

...if you do decide to relocate to Atlanta or Dallas (or any other city), be careful who you let know that you are a “newcomer” to the area and are there alone. I know that you are a grown woman with common sense (smile)...I just wanted to make sure to reinterate this statement to you, because sometimes a person can get so excited about being in a new location, that they want to start immediately making friends –--- which is normal, however, there are a lot of people out here today that need to be approached with extreme caution. And, this statement also includes people on this forum (or any other) who may want to “PM” you with information, and use this as an invitation to get some of “your” personal information instead.

In closing, all I am saying is “just be careful”...and I am praying that a door will be opened up for you and your family.

Last edited by LynnHarris; 05-29-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Lynn,

Thank you so much. I never even thought about that aspect of it. I certainly will keep that in mind. Also, thanks for the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: