Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 AM

15 posts, read 36,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a dilemma in mortgage finance.

I will be moving to Atlanta in August and planning to buy a house before starting my work there. The problem is a mortgage consultant asked me to provide a paystub showing my income, which I can provide only after starting my work. He told me that job offer letter, my stellar credit score, and 30 percent down payment wouldn't be enough to get a loan. Unfortunately, my past income isn't enough to get a loan of the amount I am hoping to get.

I remember that I went with a stated income loan when I bought my first house about 10 years ago. And it seems that most major banks don't deal with that anymore. Do people go with full doc only recently or there is still such thing is stated income loan? Any idea about what I need to do in this situation?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Stated income loans are a big reason for many of the failed mortgages - guess what, people lied!

My understanding is that it has gotten quite difficult to qualify for a loan these days.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Unfortunately, I doubt a lender will provide financing without a steady income.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 AM

416 posts, read 972,429 times
Yes, times have changed. No proof of income, no loan.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Like everyone has stated, no doc loan are a thing of the past. Lenders are much more strict in loaning out money. All your i's have to be dotted and your t's crossed.

A letter of intent or even a letter of employment is only worth the piece of paper that it is written on. It proves no regular income on your new salary level. What if you never take the job or have no intentions on taking the position? You can see the dilemma that the lender is in too.

The only suggestion I have is to contact another mortgage broker and run the scenario by them or wait until you have a couple months at your new job so you can qualify.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 AM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Right! "No doc" and "low doc" loans were BS to begin with. If I were lending someone 100K, 200k, 500k+, why would I not want every possbly piece of documentation building a case for the borroweres credit strength, income source and intent to pay?

Why not rent for a few months to start?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
We had a huge issue back in 2005 getting our loan secured. My wife and I are both mostly freelance in the entertainment industry. At the time, our combined yearly income was about $90k. Because we didn't get a standard weekly paycheck stub, but instead just received large checks upon completion of a job, there was no real repeating support of our income. And all this for a sub-$200k loan.

We had to dig out every paycheck we had received in the past three years, every income tax form we had filed, every cent we had spent...they wanted EVERYTHING. And then when I had filed one set of 2004 taxes on a 2003 form, well all hell broke loose, and they wouldn't accept any of it (cue Photoshop). We went through so much hell, I almost canceled the entire house-buying process. But we've never even come close to not being able to pay, so I'd say we were pretty low risk in the end.

And this was when mortgages were being handed out like candy. I cannot imagine what it would be like for us to get a loan now, even though I have almost perfect credit (hers is good too) and our yearly income is now generally $125k a year. I'm terrified to even start the process again.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
You might want to try a lease - purchase contract, "rent" it till you have your jobs and can show you can aford the mortgage to the bank. Then execute the pruchase option.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM

141 posts, read 421,700 times
I got a loan a few months back. My wife and I both have great credit scores. I've been with my current employer for several years. My wife has owned a profitable business for several years. Our combined income is good. And the loan process was so grueling and frustrating that it drove me crazy.

Nope - getting a loan today is a completely different ballgame than it was a few years ago. I seriously doubt you'll find a lender willing to approve you now. And, as it sounds like you would like to get approved based on your current income and not your previous incomes, you may not be able to get the loan you want until 2013. I say that because the banks put as much or more weight on your tax returns than they do your paystub, these days. They may want to see your 2012 tax return, showing a full calendar year in your new job.

Not saying you won't get approved before 2013. Just saying that you might not be able to get all of the terms you're looking for until then.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
If you are a customer of USAA, then you have a shot. They approved us last summer based on a job offer, well before the job start date. They were the only lender that would do so. Luckily, we've been customers of USAA for years, with homeowner's insurance, auto, and life.

All thanks to my dear old Dad who was in the Marines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: