Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM

123 posts, read 380,411 times

Advertisements

Most non black men here in Atlanta are not going to pay you any mind. Its very rare to see that down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 30,248 times
Default Just do what makes you happy

Wow, you had alot of responses (good for you)!

I am black and my husband is white and we met in Atlanta 10 years ago. I was raised in the South and attended an HBCU, never dated out of my race, but also never had a problem recognizing attractiveness regardless of race.

I dated alot when I was in college and also joined a sorority, lol. I had a great time in Atlanta and grew up in an area with very few minorities. I am very proud of who I am and where I come from.

As a freshman in college, we used to always go on group dates, about six or eight girls to six or eight guys, for young fun (bowling and whatnot). Well, my date was a bit too feely for me (always wanted to put his hand on my thigh). So I decided I was good for the evening and informed my friends I was heading home. It turned out that I ended the date for everyone and I owed the date orchestrator a favor

She came to me later that year and asked me to go on a double date with her. I asked her, was he nice (first) and cute (second), lol; she said yes, so I said okay. So I go outside and much to my surpsise I see a white guy and an asian guy....I was very confused. I thought surely this cannot be who we are meeting; she proceeded to hug them both and that was that.

I thought to myself, well at least we will be in the same car and if someone sees me I can explain the situation, well they drove separately. I was extremely nervous and somewhat uncomfortable. However, once we were off campus, he really made me laugh, we had shared interests, and he was funny.

Towards the end of the evening, I knew he was going to ask for my number and the whole ride back to the dorm I wondered what would I do. Other guys that weren't black had asked me out before and I always politely declined. So, when we pulled up to the dorm, as I suspected, he asked me for my telephone number. I paused and he said..... he thought that I had a good time and we had shared interests, so if he was right I would give him my number and if that was still true and I did not give him my number I was hung up on race, LOL. I gave him my number.

Over the course of my undergraduate matriculation, we dated until I pledged and with my course requirements, and other activities, I had too many things on my plate. Also, I wanted to push myself to be with someone of my own race. After all, I had plenty of friends that constantly reminded of the great black men that were interested in me at school.

My senior year I moved into an apartment as I was getting a bit overwhelmed with the everyone in your business portion of attending an HBCU. I also was a bit frusturated with feeling like I had to augment certain things that I liked (things that identified with my friends at my HBCU) and hide other things that I liked (things that do not typically identify with Black culture, music, friends, etc.). I just needed some breathing room to be me (and figure out who that was).

Well, I met a guy...across the hall who had just graduated from Michigan and started his first job. I was not interested in him that way, but we had some of the same interests and he was easy to be around. You know how you feel when you are around a friend, someone not trying to put the moves on you.

Our friendship lasted for 10 months and turned into a relationship. We dated for 5 years and married. We have lived in Seattle and currently reside in Chicago with plans to move back to Atlanta in the next year and a half. We both have job opportunities and our families our retiring (we want to be closer to them).

I basically told my life story to say, that you should do what makes you happy. If it turns out that the man that you can laugh, cry, pray, and love with is white or any other race, it will happen regardless of the circumstances and location. I truly feel that I had many opportunities to be with others, at times you might get stares, or sometimes even curious questions. I treat it the same way as being one of a few minorities in an area, I try to have patience, a good amount of tolerance, and let things roll off of my back.

My parents have been married for over 30 years. My grandmother was one of the first Black educators in North Carolina and at first, my selection wasn't celebrated, but you have to go with what will make you happy.

I loved Atlanta, it was the most fun. I feel that there is sometihng for everyone. We have many friends there of many races and really have not had any problems there at all.

Good Luck!!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM

62 posts, read 124,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
Most non black men here in Atlanta are not going to pay you any mind. Its very rare to see that down here.
Bitter much?

Who the heck are you to tell someone that nobody non-black will be into her?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I think some of you all are slightly over exaggerating this. I have been in a couple of interracial relationships and I never had a problem with stares, comments, or anything along those lines. Me thinks you all might be slightly on the defensive in regards to that. Now if your in one of the farther out suburbs, then yeah I could see that being the case. But if your in Midtown, Buckhead or Downtown no one will even look twice at you. I live off of Peachtree on 26th Street now and a very large % of the residents in my building are in interracial relationships. It's no big deal, but if you go out with the mind set like "people will stare at us" then you will make a menacing stare out of someone just simply looking at you. And on top of that you are an black-Indian couple, I mean c'mon, have you ever been to Opera on a Saturday night???
So when many white women come on here and claim that black women are constantly staring at them for supposedly 'no apparent reason', they are exaggerating as well?

Or is it only exaggerating when a black woman says the same thing happens to her?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyman View Post
WE NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE SOMETHING CRUICIAL!!!- In general, MOST women (99%) are very restrictive about who they date. A Majority of the time people (esp. women) decide FROM A DISTANCE who they're interested in, so those reasons are primarily completely objective (money, class, looks and fetishes, but VERY LITTLE about who the person is). So this constipation of "LOVE" being thrown around when it comes to interracial dating needs to stop!!! It's BULLS#!T!!! There is absolutely no more love in interracial dating than same race dating. There might be a fetish about rebellion or exploration.- Women talk the MOST about love but absolutely know the LEAST about it. Women spend a large percentage of their life creating constructs of what love is like, what the man will look like, and all his superficial attributes. And when they find someone that fits the mold, they FORCE it; and it is always a HUGE turnoff but we will never let you know. Then you see them on Oprah talking about broken Heart and evil men. FAKENESS is something that will make us MERCILESS! ALL men want to find a woman who's good personality, values and convictions (regardless of money) makes us want to take care of her; but manipulation will turn us into monsters. When a woman wields sex as power and thinks it "controls" us, when she attempts little stupid sneaky OR in your face antics to test how much she can f^@k with you and all the time we can't complain. - We need to address our defective ideas of love before we talk about interracial love. - These black women who are validating their interracial relationships by bashing black men need to stop making up fraudulent statistics. Yes black men are less educated than whites, but the level is better than ever, NOT worse (this is 2009 idiots). "black men bashed black women first" - it is a stereotype but calling black women angry is not bashing, it's an exaggerated observation generally expressed playfully; black men are the ones that have been touting the beauty of black women (objectively yes) for all these years, and we are the reason white men nowadays find your plump butts (previously fat asses) attractive; we could've rapped and sung about white women instead, but we didn't. There is absolutely NO contemporary reasons for black women to be MORE angry with the social condition of black men than before, when it's obviously better. THE TRUTH IS, black beauty is a little more accepted nowadays, in commercials and socially black women have more white friends, and black women are riding the wave to Upward social mobility with more white hairstyles (esp darker black women), staying slimmer because the american "template beauty" seems more reachable, and white men being less intimidated, actually confident, and using the fact that black women blush over them. -Hold your comments and think first. PLEASE stop with the BULLS#!T political correctness, there are absolutely real social reasons/stereotypes for statistics especially in a place as "TRENDY" as America (not as you scared idiots love to say "that's just the way it is"). There are reasons/stereotypes why most asian women marry white men, there are reasons/stereotypes why some white women (esp. fat ones) feel comfortable with or want to try black men. -If you are in an interracial relationship please keep your irrational, defensive comments to yourself. Spend some time, do some self searching; and again keep the results to yourself and stop bashing black men.P.S. stop acting as if you are immune to the Trends that engulf the nation. You've been apart of it since highschool, you're really not that much mature now.
Oh wow, this post is the epitome of a bitter black male.

These black women who are validating their interracial relationships by bashing black men need to stop making up fraudulent statistics.

First of all stating the truth isn't bashing. And I hope you believe these same statistics that constantly claim black women are this and that are 'fradulent' as well.

"black men bashed black women first" - it is a stereotype but calling black women angry is not bashing, it's an exaggerated observation generally expressed playfully;

Oh, please. You and I BOTH know that it is not a stereotype; it is FACT! And expressed playfully? Boy,please.

Spend some time, do some self searching; and again keep the results to yourself and stop bashing black men.

Since when is wanting to date interracially mean that woman has to do some 'self-searching'? Are you a pseudo-pychologist?

What is interesting about your whole rant was that it presented black women who date out of their race as black men bashers. You also FAILED to give this talking to to the SAME black males who CONSTANTLY feel the need to express why their with a white, other woman because black women are too_______(fill in the blank).

As a male, you seem to be very jealous of black women because you feel that we are supposedly treated better.

Men don't compete with women. They compete with *gasp* MEN.

So stop telling women what they should do and man the h*** up.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Oh lord..........not this stuff again.

Some of you believe that dating another race is somehow unique and different and it's not. What's funny is all of you that think people are looking at you because you're with someone of another race. What makes you think that's why someone is looking at you? I look at people all of the time. It's all in your head.

Last edited by Ron.; 01-21-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,641 times
You know stares do not sometimes equal bad. I am a black woman, and I stare at interracial couple because it rare and fascinating. I am not thinking what a trader or anything like that. Btw, I date all races too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
Ok im a black guy and im going to tell you what I think. To me IMO it does not matter who you are dating. You be with whoever you want to spend your life with, but im going to tell you now all black men do not take that offensive. Some might, as well as some people from other races, but don't let no one tell you that it is just a black man thing because they are wrong.. Im not saying that it does not happen but I have seen many interracial couples out in public and they seem to blend in along with every one else.. But lets just face reality here no matter where you go, people of all kinds are going to look at you crazy if you are dating different races. Thats anywhere not just Atlanta... Its no different than someone being gay and they get starred down by others.. You can go anywhere in this country and that type of stuff is going to happen. I was having a conversation with this white lady one day and people started staring me down. I counted several people doing this including my race and others.. I was just running my mouth and I was not even in a relationship with this girl. So that goes to show you that you might as well be with whoever you want to be with and don't worry about what others think. Here I was getting mugged over a simple conversation basically by some clowns that were assuming wrong.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
That is not true I am a white male and I do not have any problem, I find black women attractive and a breath of fresh air. I am a southern boy also.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:06 PM

31 posts, read 126,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyd01 View Post
That is not true I am a white male and I do not have any problem, I find black women attractive and a breath of fresh air. I am a southern boy also.

Heeey! now thats what im talking about! i love me a white man

Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

31 posts, read 126,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
You know stares do not sometimes equal bad. I am a black woman, and I stare at interracial couple because it rare and fascinating. I am not thinking what a trader or anything like that. Btw, I date all races too.
yeaaa thats the same reason why i look! its a beautiful thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta