Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm a transplant to the Atlanta metro who has lived in Cobb for almost seven years ... not only is the Cobb County government well known for its excellent schools, but it has been recognized for its transparency of government and overall high level of education
No question about it. I'd hate to see city of Atlanta government stacked up against Cobb County government.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

DOT says it is not withholding road construction money

"The Georgia Department of Transportation said Tuesday it has spent nearly $1 billion last budget year on road projects and related costs, rejecting a contention that the agency has been stifling job creation in Georgia's beleaguered construction industry."

Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM

The Tea Party makes it official:

Georgia Tea Party comes out against TSPLOST - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

If you have any final thoughts now is the time to let them be known.

BuckheadView: Last call for input into transportation projects final list

Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
"'We are opposed to the TSPLOST in principle because we don’t believe that nine other counties and the city of Atlanta have the right to impose a tax increase on the citizens of Cobb County.'"

Yep, more regionalism. And here I was thinking the Tea Party was patriotic.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I ask for the umpteenth time: If rail is not the solution in Cobb County, what IS the solution?
And for the umpteenth time, I'll offer my opinion. You seem to be unwilling to accept the op-eds and opinions from Cobb Commissioners, as well as my suggestions, because they don't agree with your mantra.

First...what is the problem that needs to be solved? In my opinion and the opinion of many in Cobb, it is NOT travel to/from Atlanta. Second....once we define the problem, then we need solutions that address that problem, not some other economic development issue or political correctness, feel good concerns.

So, if the problem is not travel to/from Atlanta, then what is the problem? It's travel within Cobb County and to business centers in north Fulton, Dunwoody, and around the Perimeter.

Given my problem statement, then what is the solution? For some of the intra-county congestion, it may be new or expanded roads, and it may also be improvements to existing traffic control. Frankly, the lack of timing and other common sense traffic control boggles my mind sometimes. For some of the other congestion, it's transit that makes sense within the county and to Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, and possibly MARTA in those areas.

What we have here is the difference between facts and wishful thinking. Some of you wish that people in Cobb got up and went to work in a high rise building in downtown or midtown Atlanta, just like in the 1960s or 1970s. You therefore assume that they would be well served by some form of transit to carry them from their suburban dwelling to the great urban paradise. The reality is far different. A majority commutes within Cobb or to other suburban locations, usually OTP.

Even if the line eventually goes to Town Center in the year 2030 (since the point keeps being made that the Cumberland link is the first phase), does it solve the problems that exist today and for the next 20 years?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
As someone that lives in Cobb, expanding roads damn sure isnt going to do anything to help. That much is obvious.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
As someone that lives in Cobb, expanding roads damn sure isnt going to do anything to help. That much is obvious.
This is where specifics come in. They are widening Barrett Pkwy near my house to a 6 lane super hwy. Do I think that's needed, nope. I think the money could be much better used elsewhere. The traffic is never very bad for very long, and spending tens of millions to ensure that traffic is always going at 45mph is stupid IMHO. The rest of the time, the road is underutilized and traffic flows at 60mph.

Having said that, there are many roads like Whitlock Ave that are crying out for modernization. Whether through widening or just upgrade of turn lanes and signals, there is much that could be done to keep traffic flowing much better within Cobb.

I would also be all in favor of light rail within Cobb. Why not build the Town Center to Cumberland stretch of the line first? That would ensure that the connection to MARTA eventually happens, either in Midtown or north Fulton, and it would provide value for people who want to move around Cobb but have no need to go to Atlanta. The reason that won't be done is funding, and also because it would prevent what will probably happen, and that's having the line go to Cumberland and never be extended.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What we have here is the difference between facts and wishful thinking. Some of you wish that people in Cobb got up and went to work in a high rise building in downtown or midtown Atlanta, just like in the 1960s or 1970s. You therefore assume that they would be well served by some form of transit to carry them from their suburban dwelling to the great urban paradise. The reality is far different. A majority commutes within Cobb or to other suburban locations, usually OTP.
I have to agree with Neil on this one. Is there any actual data showing what the demand is between Cobb and Midtown vs. Cobb and elsewhere?

In the absence of any real facts, it seems like we're simply whistling in the dark about spending a billion dollars.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree with Neil on this one. Is there any actual data showing what the demand is between Cobb and Midtown vs. Cobb and elsewhere?

In the absence of any real facts, it seems like we're simply whistling in the dark about spending a billion dollars.

I drive from Windy Hill Road to Downtown everyday and it is a 20 minute commute with very little traffic. I'd currently have no incentive to ride. I do however, think that it could spur some smart growth and have other peripheral benefits for the region that are being unaccounted for by the anti-tax groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta