Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It would be nice to see some studies indicating estimated trips on the various proposed corridors. I've looked all over the Regional Roundtable site and can't find them. ARC's Concept 3 page, however, has an old corridor study.

Neil, are you aware that the top-end perimeter corridor was axed from the TIA?
Totally agree with you. I have not seen or heard any hard data on expected ridership or revenue prediction versus operating costs.

No, I wasn't aware that the top-end corridor was axed. I think that speaks to the politics at play. When the guy in charge of the Cumberland CID is leading the roundtable, then I think it's politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
By that logic I guess we should never have built railroads to the West Coast in the 1860's.
Sorry, but that is a ridiculous and flawed analogy. Comparing two completely different use cases, eras, costs, etc. Also, the railroads were private enterprises funded by private investments.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry, but that is a ridiculous and flawed analogy. Comparing two completely different use cases, eras, costs, etc. Also, the railroads were private enterprises funded by private investments.
Oh yes, private, except for the Pacific Railway Act* which provided federal subsidies for each and every mile of track. Or the millions of acres of land grants and rights-of-way, which were larger than the state of Texas for the Union Pacific and Central Pacific alone. Or the military forces provided by the federal government that offered the railroads some protection from the granted lands' erstwhile inhabitants.

It was all "private enterprise" except for that stuff.

* The act could not pass until the secession of the southern states. Even then, southerners hated trains.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
It's not about that... it's the fact that several of the road projects on the list have other means of funding (the gas tax/GDOT) and some could even be built as toll roads (Sugarloaf Parkway extension, for example). They could take some money off of road projects which can be supplemented with other existing funds... they do not need to be almost 100% funded.
If true, then the sales tax should be lowered instead. We shouldn't nickel and dime the taxpayers. If there is all this existing funds and alternate means to fund transportation projects then TSPLOST should be voted down.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Oh yes, private, except for the Pacific Railway Act* which provided federal subsidies for each and every mile of track. Or the millions of acres of land grants and rights-of-way, which were larger than the state of Texas for the Union Pacific and Central Pacific alone. Or the military forces provided by the federal government that offered the railroads some protection from the granted lands' erstwhile inhabitants.

* The act could not pass until the secession of the southern states. Even then, southerners hated trains.
Yes, the analogy between that, and Cobb and Gwinnett joining MARTA is becoming clearer. Dobbins AFB is a modern day Fort Apache.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yes, the analogy between that, and Cobb and Gwinnett joining MARTA is becoming clearer. Dobbins AFB is a modern day Fort Apache.
Yeah! Hahahaha. Haha...ha.

JP can correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of the "analogy" (it wasn't one) is that we'd never accomplish anything requiring a long-term commitment if we were always limited to immediate interests. It wasn't, I strongly suspect, to explore the deep historical parallels between 21st century Cobb County's participation in MARTA and the Transcontinental Railroad.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah! Hahahaha. Haha...ha.
A simple LOL would have been sufficient.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,013 times
Quote:

Actually that is false.

Southerners where looking to build their own transcontinental railroad, that was the point of the gadson purchase which braught the tuscon, az area into the country. The Cival war delayed these plans thus the line was built out of chicago.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Actually that is false.

Southerners where looking to build their own transcontinental railroad, that was the point of the gadson purchase which braught the tuscon, az area into the country. The Cival war delayed these plans thus the line was built out of chicago.
I'm not sure what part you think is false. Surely not my whole post! The bit about southerners hating trains was just a funny. The part about southern politicians blocking the Pacific Railroad Act until they gave the Congress over to Republicans is true, so far as God, Wikipedia and I are aware.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:34 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,013 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what part you think is false. Surely not my whole post! The bit about southerners hating trains was just a funny. The part about southern politicians blocking the Pacific Railroad Act until they gave the Congress over to Republicans is true, so far as God, Wikipedia and I are aware.
I was only reffering to the hating trains.

The part and bold is very true. I think, but i could be wrong, that they voted to block it so they could be the first to build a transcontinental railroad and bennifet from it more. It is basically the same regional minded attitude we see today in the debates over the TIA.

It's sad, you would think after 150 years times would have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta