Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM

88 posts, read 304,244 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we've expanded our search since we've received calls for work in Duluth. From what I've heard it's a nice place to live. We've ruled out Canton b/c "it's so far up there"- and have began looking into Buford, Duluth, Cummings, Lawrenceville.

What I need to know is are these good family oriented areas? Meaning, how are schools, daycare, recreational activies. We're moving from Aurora/Naperville area in Il. and we have more than we can choose from with regards to activities for the kids.

Can anyone give me an idea of what kinds of daycare are available? Kinder Care, La Petite academy? Also what are the prices? Here we can expect to pay about $300 p/wk (all day, 5 days) for a 2yo and about $165 p/wk for a 7 yo who goes for before and after care.

We're looking to purchase a house and like many we're hoping to get more bang for our buck and are trying to find a home no higher than $200k- is that possible in these areas? What are the communities like? I'm a stay at home mom and would like to find a community where it is a true community i.e. you know your neighbors, you feel welcomed etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
We moved to Duluth sixteen years ago from Winfield, IL (near Wheaton). Never been sorry! Although I loved the Chicago area, there are many advantages to the Atlanta area - home prices and property taxes being first and foremost for us.
My children are grown but I'd be happy to investigate day care centers in our area. There are plenty - many of the ones you mentioned.

Last edited by jxu66; 08-06-2007 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 AM

58 posts, read 228,336 times
I like Duluth and have experience with Daycares near there, since that is where we lived when we first moved to GA. . My Pediatrician is in Duluth and the commute is not bad to many places in Atlanta. You can find homes that costs no more than $200,000 but it depends on what you are looking for. Older vs newer? 3 or 4 bedrooms and so on. Moderator cut: Removed Best wishes.

Last edited by xxman777; 08-06-2007 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Removed Solicitation

Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM

88 posts, read 304,244 times
DebbieK55 & bungalowgirl - Thanks for the responses! I've also gotten a pm about this but was advised to stay away from Kindercare and La Petite. Any other information that either of you and anyone else could provide is definitely appreciated. I be interested to know about Goddard (they have recently opened those in the Chicagoland area), Kids R Kids etc. I'd definitely want the center to be accredited, have security (is that standard in GA?) etc. Any experiences (good, bad- give it to me straight) people could share would be a welcomed read -in my experience it seems that these choices are best made when you receive reliable recommendations. Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

167 posts, read 769,495 times
If you move to the Lawrenceville area, consider Legacy Academy or Primrose School. There is a new Legacy on Alcovy Road near Harbins Road and Highway 316 and a new Primrose on Sugarloaf near Highway 124. I do believe that all of the cities you mentioned will make you feel at home if you find the right neighborhood. If you are considering Lawrenceville, there are great neighborhoods near the historic downtown Lawreceville square. There is also great dining, the Aurora Theatre and great shops there too.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta