Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
I'm pretty much a liberal but this is the only sole topic I guess I'm conservative on.....because it's affected me and my family so much, and the small town I came from as well.....

soo now more jobs will be open for actual US citizens in the state of GA and public resources such as hospitals won't be taxed as heavily??...and maybe this can encourage businesses to not pay people Slave wages anymore for work?? And maybe our teachers won't have as many kids to deal with in the class so they can focus on possibly bettering their students? Maybe, I can go to mcdonalds again and not have to feel like i need to know Spanish for them to understand me? Maybe all customer service jobs will require you to *shocker* KNOW AND SPEAK ENGLISH FLUENTLY

I don't seee what's wrong about it?...Heck they already get in-state tuition even though because I moved to DC and claimed residency (even though I was born and raised in GA/graduated at the top of my class in HS in GA/my family STILL lives in GA, heck my grandparents were buried in GA) I don't even get in-state tuition............yet a person who hopped over from Mexico has more claim to a tuition discount than me at this moment............I swear we have our values warped in this country...

Besides If i wanted to go to Guatemala and live there illegally...well let's just say I don't think they'd be as "friendly" as we've been over here....
Most of these arguments are flawed, but the in-state tuition one is flat out factually incorrect. Illegal immigrants in Georgia do NOT get in-state tuition. In fact, they are banned from attending UGA, GSU, GT, and a couple other public colleges altogether. Despite their tax money helping to pay for them.

You're off base here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Most of these arguments are flawed, but the in-state tuition one is flat out factually incorrect. Illegal immigrants in Georgia do NOT get in-state tuition. In fact, they are banned from attending UGA, GSU, GT, and a couple other public colleges altogether. Despite their tax money helping to pay for them.

You're off base here.
Well, not TOTALLY off base!
Perhaps your not familiar with Jessica Colotl and Kennsaw State University. She is an illegal and she was allowed to attend classes and she got in state tuition..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, not TOTALLY off base!
Perhaps your not familiar with Jessica Colotl and Kennsaw State University. She is an illegal and she was allowed to attend classes and she got in state tuition..
And the conservatives were so pissed about it that they passed laws banning illegals from getting in-state tuition (despite paying taxes) and further banning them altogether from the five schools in Georgia with competitive admissions (KSU is not one of them).

Not sure why you guys still hold a grudge on this issue. You got exactly what you wanted: the illegals must now pay taxes for the universities and pay out of state tuition as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
How can you get admitted into ANY university (especially a public university) as an illegal immigrant?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Of course! I'd leave GA behind too if I were them. It'll be like living in a Nazi state for them with cops asking for their "papers" and whatnot any time they get pulled over or on the sidewalks even.

I hope this bill gets repealed.
The sheer and utter brilliance of this posting is almost mindblowing. NOT

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
And it goes on to list acceptable documents.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20112012/112069.pdf

It's section 7, article 5 on your link.
It does? I don't see a list of acceptable documents, just:

727 (f) Not later than August 1, 2011, the Attorney General shall provide and make public on
728 the Department of Law's website a list of acceptable secure and verifiable documents. The
729 list shall be reviewed and updated annually by the Attorney General."

Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog8rs View Post
Show me in the bill where it says this? The closest thing I found in the bill ( hb87_HB_87_APP_22.html ) is:

I don't think people can get arrested for jaywalking without an exacerbating circumstance.

Quote:
3. Q)"A police officer will check the immigration status of all who are stopped for a traffic violation?"

Incorrect. On any traffic stop, the officer will attempt to identify who you are by asking for your driver's license or other forms of Secure and Verifiable Identification (A long list of acceptable documentation, of which the most common form would be a driver's license and other identification documents -- a list will be provided by the AG). If you forgot your license, you can provide your name and address so the officer can check the DDS database. The police do this to make sure there are no warrants out for the person's arrest. Only if you cannot provide an identification and if the officer cannot verify who you are through the methods listed above, the officer is then authorized (not required) to use any reasonable method to identify the suspect's immigration status, which may include contacting U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
FAQ on Georgia HB 87: Anti-Illegal Immigration Legislation - Lilburn-Mountain Park, GA Patch

This. While they emphasize they cant just up and ask for your papers, let's face the fact the police (Cobb county has an especially bad reputation for this) already pull people over based on race so it is not so far fetched to assume that SOME police officers will be pulling people over based on the suspicion that they might be an illegal immigrant.

I got pulled over in Cobb county a long time ago (on hwy 92) after just leaving a friend's house late at night. My friend who just so happens to be black was in the car with me (I'm white). I had an expired tag, granted I had already mailed in my renewal and was just waiting for the new sticker to arrive in the mail and I thought I was getting pulled over for that but the cop was determined that I was drunk (I wasn't. I was just sleepy and wanted to go home). I told him that I wasn't but he didn't believe me. He pulled me out of the car anyway and gave me a drunken sobriety test which I passed with flying colors. Then he became convinced that I was high. I told him I wasn't and he still shun his flashlight in my eyes and down my throat. After asking me a dozen questions (trying to trick me into confessing something) and 20 minutes later, he finally let me go and didn't even care about the expired tag. I'm fairly convinced that he thought that any young interracial people driving at 2am must be on something and wanted to bust us. I've heard many stories like this on and offline.

Now put yourself in a Latino's shoes. You're living in an area where a large swath of people look at you with suspicion and contempt because you stole their jobs. I'm pretty sure cops will be pulling people over based on suspicion of living here illegally.

I will admit though that after a bit of research, I found out that jaywalking is not a criminal offense (they indeed can not arrest you for jaywalking but this link makes it clear that cops do have the authority to arrest someone for a traffic offense). Immigrants will not be asked for immigration status when walking down sidewalks.

Last edited by Adric; 06-09-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
And the conservatives were so pissed about it that they passed laws banning illegals from getting in-state tuition (despite paying taxes) and further banning them altogether from the five schools in Georgia with competitive admissions (KSU is not one of them).

Not sure why you guys still hold a grudge on this issue. You got exactly what you wanted: the illegals must now pay taxes for the universities and pay out of state tuition as well.
Well, not exactly.. but it certainly shined a HUGE SPOTLIGHT on the issue. I certainly do not hold a grudge. I could sympathize with Jessica. She was merely caught in the middle of a huge controversy. She was brought to this country as a child, not knowing what she or better yet her parents were doing was illegal.. even if they had her best interests at heart.

I don't get the 'I PAY TAXES' therefore I should not have to pay out of state tuition if I am an illegal immigrant.. I don't expect to see too many students in that line during registration.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
It does? I don't see a list of acceptable documents, just:

727 (f) Not later than August 1, 2011, the Attorney General shall provide and make public on
728 the Department of Law's website a list of acceptable secure and verifiable documents. The
729 list shall be reviewed and updated annually by the Attorney General."
435 (1) A secure and verifiable document as defined in Code Section 50-36-2;
436 (2) A valid Georgia driver's license;
437 (3) A valid Georgia identification card issued by the Department of Driver Services;
438 (4) If the entity requires proof of legal presence in the United States before issuance, any
439 valid driver's license from a state or district of the United States or any valid
440 identification document issued by the United States federal government; or
441 (5) Other information as to the suspect's identity that is sufficient to allow the peace
442 officer to independently identify the suspect.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, not exactly.. but it certainly shined a HUGE SPOTLIGHT on the issue. I certainly do not hold a grudge. I could sympathize with Jessica. She was merely caught in the middle of a huge controversy. She was brought to this country as a child, not knowing what she or better yet her parents were doing was illegal.. even if they had her best interests at heart.

I don't get the 'I PAY TAXES' therefore I should not have to pay out of state tuition if I am an illegal immigrant.. I don't expect to see too many students in that line during registration.
Isn't the whole justification for in state vs out of state tuition at a university the fact that people in-state pay for the university's funding through sales and income taxes? Correct me if I'm wrong here. But immigration status seems irrelevant to the matter, given that you're going to let them go to school at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta