Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM

132 posts, read 444,884 times

Advertisements

Thank you for reading my post. We went into contract 10 days ago and the inspection was done right away and the appraisal report already came back OK. We want the house and we are not looking to get out of the contract. We that being said, we are buying this house by an owner (VERY NICE PEOPLE!!!!) and we are not using a realtor. We basically came together through a mutual friend. The question I have is about the inspection report. The report came back with nothing MAJOR but as usual, there were your typical issues that inspectors find. We proceeded to forward the report to the seller the same way we received it from the inspector. We basically let him know that these are the concerns that were found by the inspector. They replied by saying that they were going to address all these issues. This was done via email right afer the report was sent. Two days ago, the seller sent an email that they were addressing on "action required " items first and they were going to address the other issues after those issues are done. Is this something I need to have in writing? Or the emails are confirmations these repairs are going to be done. As I said, we are not looking to get out of the deal, but it would be nice if these repairs are done before we close on the house...Nothing so far is giving us any indication that they are not going to be done......What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
If none of them are major, you should be fine with emails. What dollar cost do you think they are.?

Here is something to consider, when I closed on my house some of the repairs were done but not the best fix. So basically the problems came back and I had to have them fixed properly. None of these items were big dollars and worth going back to the seller. So just be aware there are some sellers do just enough to get by (I am not that type and your sellers may not be either), so cover yourself for anything that could be costly later.

Remember that you get a final walk through before closing to check on these repairs, if you are concerned about a big dollar item and something you don't feel comfortable inspecting, you can hire someone (or your inspector) to do that walkthrough with you.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM

63 posts, read 141,000 times
I don't care how nice they seem. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get it in writing!

Good Luck and Congrats on your new home!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
We also went without an agent when buying our first house. One thing I learned is that you should always get everything in writing. Any decent home inspection will come up with 100s of items, some items demanding attention, others you probably won't even fix once you buy the house.

It sounds as though you just forwarded the report without any specific requests. If something is on the list that you particularly care about, make sure to put your request to have it fixed and his agreement to do so in writing. If thare are minor items you don't really care about, let the homeowner know so he can focus his time and energy on the items you do.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amv4372 View Post
I don't care how nice they seem. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get it in writing!
BINGO

Ambiguity is not a good thing. Did the OP think that all the inspection items would be handled or just the "major" ones. One constitutes a "major" item versus a recommended item to be repaired?

There is language in the Georgia Association of Realtors forms that refers to what manner items will be repaired. In other words, who is qualified to do the repair. Do you want a plumber working on the roof?

If in doubt, make sure that it is in writing so everyone understands and that it can be enforced. Sign and date things too.

Congratulations!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 AM

132 posts, read 444,884 times
Thank you for all your responses..... I went ahead and asked them in detail what is it that they were planning on doing. Everything is in writing now.... I worked with an agent Prior to finding this home, and our experience was not very good. ... Dealing directly with a seller is a pleasure,. No middle men on either side looking after their own interest...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM

17 posts, read 52,718 times
We thought the seller's were really nice when we bought our home too. That is, until we found all the major hidden problems that they had covered up (to the degree that even the inspector couldn't find them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta