Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 36,432 times

Advertisements

What (if any) is the name of a local paper that lists local live music venues and there schedules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Creative Loafing. It comes out on Thursdays and is free.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks! Do you have any favorite venues?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
Check out Creative Loafing (Weekly on Thursday's), The Sunday Paper, AJC has a entertainment/arts paper that hits news stands every Thursday as well. Creative Loafing is the best one here in Atlanta.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM

61 posts, read 245,824 times
There are tons of venues here from large to tiny holes in the wall. Depends on what kind of music you are into, there is something for everyone. I love the Tabernacle, the Masquerade,the Drunken Unicorn.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
Default Favorite Venues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen.mmc View Post
Thanks! Do you have any favorite venues?
Tabernacle and Chastain Park are my favorite, Centennial Olympic Park is nice for large outdoor concerts as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
JPD

I spent the '90s going to hundreds of small concerts, mostly at venues that no longer exist (The Point, Moreland Tavern, the original MJQ, the original Cotton Club, etc.). My ears haven't stopped ringing in over 10 years, so I'm kind of burned out on going to see bands. Plus, I can't stand the smoke and late nights ever since I hung up my apron and got a "real" job.

The main venues for local and small touring bands are The Earl, Lenny's Bar, Drunken Unicorn, Eyedrum, Star Bar, Five Spot and a handful of others.

The best venue for a concert in Atlanta (actually, the best thing in Atlanta, period) is the Fox Theater.

Huge concerts usually take place at Philips Arena, Lakewood Amphitheater or occaisionally the GA Dome. Of those, I prefer Philips.

I haven't been to the Gwinnett Arena, but I've heard it's a good place to see a concert.

Variety Playhouse is a great venue for medium sized shows.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone!! I am moving to Atlanta in December and this will certainly help!!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I spent the '90s going to hundreds of small concerts, mostly at venues that no longer exist (The Point, Moreland Tavern, the original MJQ, the original Cotton Club, etc.). My ears haven't stopped ringing in over 10 years, so I'm kind of burned out on going to see bands.
My tenure goes back to the mid-80's. Seen a few shows at the 688 Club (Replacements a couple of times... awesome). Cotton Club and The Point were the biggies, though. Getting older takes care of the desire to go out every weekend!

My favorite place now to see a show is the Earl. They get some incredible bands in a small place. Perfect. The Variety Playhouse is good for more popular acts.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Getting older takes care of the desire to go out every weekend!
No doubt. I'd still go see bands if I could get home by 11:30, but things are just getting started at that time...you know, the opening band has to wait for their dishwasher friends (who also happen to be their drummer) to get off work and show up at the gig.

For me it was more like twice per weekend and two or three times during the week. I would never do that again, but maybe once every week or two if It were an earlier show.

I forgot one pretty major venue: Smith's Old Bar has a live music amost every night. It probably holds 350 people. They get some pretty amazing shows. David Bowie played there once. Springsteen was there incognito a few weeks ago (just hanging out, not performing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: