Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:34 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

As soon as I say the Headline I thought of Neal boortz.. People want to blame "Black community Culture" but don't want to look at the history of Georgia or the Nation for that matter. If the family structure is broken up do you really think it will heal over night?

The White community has a culture of stealing your money. Does that sound right? Of course not so don't blame the many over the actions of a few. Take away hope and opportunity and people will do what they feel they have to do.

Let's be real..

Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM

257 posts, read 469,961 times
How did this become about black people? I could be wrong, but I don't think Boortz said anything about one color or another in his comments.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
How did this become about black people? I could be wrong, but I don't think Boortz said anything about one color or another in his comments.
He went out of his way to say "Urban" thugs. We all know what that means.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
As soon as I say the Headline I thought of Neal boortz.. People want to blame "Black community Culture" but don't want to look at the history of Georgia or the Nation for that matter. If the family structure is broken up do you really think it will heal over night?
I caught a few minutes of Boortz' show this afternoon. He had a caller (who identified herself as a black woman) who also said it was about the breakdown of the family. She blamed the Democrats since the Great Society days of LBJ.

That's a theory I've heard a number of times, i.e., that the welfare state supported having babies out of wedlock and caused blacks to become dependent on the government. That seems kind of one dimensional to me.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djejsw2 View Post
The reality is very few "normal" people can look down the barrel and pull the trigger in a tense situation, let alone recover fully from the aftermath. What will happen is the average people will simply leave the area, as is occurring now in Atlanta and large parts of it's metro.

Talk is cheap, holding a weapon in a life and death moment at the QT is not something 99% of people could or should handle. Again, it just shows how low the quality of life in Atlanta is becoming.
So the quality of life is being ruined by young hoodlums? Was what the radio guy said true about Atlanta? Some people are hearing hatred for blacks, but what I am hearing is a love for Atlanta & an irritation with wild kids. Who sets the definition for Quality of Life? You have some people here who feel wild out of control youth are apart of metropolitan living, that their should be wild kids on the train & loitering in places like the Underground JUST because we have 5.6 million people here. What is your take on that. How many wild kids should we really have percentage wise?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You may be confusing "cheering on" with empathy for a lot of these bone headed criminals.
im not, how can people have empaty for these bad people? Its more about maintaining the illusion of a Black Paradise aka Black Mecca that makes these posters feel threatened when people advacate for the removal of local bad guys, which in turn makes the fake bad guys become normal kids. There is always normal kids who hang with the roughnecks, but it hard to tell who is who in Atlanta. The trapper/dopeboy look is the style.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I caught a few minutes of Boortz' show this afternoon. He had a caller (who identified herself as a black woman) who also said it was about the breakdown of the family. She blamed the Democrats since the Great Society days of LBJ.

That's a theory I've heard a number of times, i.e., that the welfare state supported having babies out of wedlock and caused blacks to become dependent on the government. That seems kind of one dimensional to me.
I think Johnson had good intentions, I really wish hand outs would go away...it really does create laziness & entitlement. I remember my dad telling my brothers & I if we ever got on food stamps to never call him for anything, because we were no longer his offspring...he used to tell us that every time we got a bad grade in high school & middle school. It never made sense to me back in the 90s. I kinda forgot about it after collage years, but now that I live here in Atlanta I see what he was talking about. I joke with him all the time now about his lil food stamp comments he made back then. Weird how the older you get the more understand where your folks were coming from when blasting you for messing up in school or other things. Johnson seemed like a good prez from the things Ive reads. The 60s had a lot of madness going on. Carter & Ford had it easy lol.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM

257 posts, read 469,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
He went out of his way to say "Urban" thugs. We all know what that means.
No we don't. Yeah maybe a lot of the urban thugs happen to be black, but there are white, Asian, and Hispanic thugs in urban areas (including Atlanta) as well. I still don't see how any of his comments are racist.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
I have to disagree with you on this one. I can provide two reasons why.

1. If there are any problems with the Great Society system, it's that this system of benefits lacked the proper "carrot & stick" balanced approach to helping people help themselves. I likened this situation to a hobo with a 3rd grade education who suddenly hits the lottery and becomes an overnight millionaire. More than likely because of the hobo's relative lack of a decent education especially in fiscal matters, it becomes situation of "a fool and his money are soon parted." It's no different than giving functional illiterates welfare benefits.

2. Also, there has always been this annoying social/christian conservative faction of our country who always seem to yell the loudest when it comes to being against birth-control(that's why Roe V. Wade is still being contested to this day). And as we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Because of this constant fight, having a settled and established birth control plan nationwide has always been an "ad hoc" affair at best.

Finally, these two situations when combined will obviously create the situation that we see before us, with the inner city folks having disproportionate OOW kids. My question would be what is it that other advanced industrial westerns like a Germany or Finland doing that we Americans are not? What allows these nations that I have mentioned to have a great economy and yet still have a properly governed social safety net system?

Furthermore, why are we Americans so incapable of looking outside of our social-political bubble and have the curiosity to ask such questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I think Johnson had good intentions, I really wish hand outs would go away...it really does create laziness & entitlement. I remember my dad telling my brothers & I if we ever got on food stamps to never call him for anything, because we were no longer his offspring...he used to tell us that every time we got a bad grade in high school & middle school. It never made sense to me back in the 90s. I kinda forgot about it after collage years, but now that I live here in Atlanta I see what he was talking about. I joke with him all the time now about his lil food stamp comments he made back then. Weird how the older you get the more understand where your folks were coming from when blasting you for messing up in school or other things. Johnson seemed like a good prez from the things Ive reads. The 60s had a lot of madness going on. Carter & Ford had it easy lol.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-20-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Well said Boortz.

From his blog:

Wonder how many new listeners I have today | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

"
  • Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to operate.
  • When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly 3 times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife. Bear in mind that my comments last week were born of reports of two carjackings by young black males in the Atlanta area in which guns were used.
  • If you start to delve even deeper into the statistics you will see that when you deal with the issue of interracial crime between blacks and whites you will find that blacks are the perpetrators 85% of the time while whites are responsible 15% of the time.
  • The single best indicator of violent crime in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.
Racist statistics? Come on … give me a break. You have to be a complete lunatic to believe that young black males are far more likely to be engaged in criminal activity because of the color of their skin. This is a cultural problem, not a racial one. The pathetic truth is that this violence is part of urban black culture. This is a culture where women are disparaged, gangsters are idolized, and, believe it or not, mothers of young black males have been reported to have been involved in actually helping their son's decide which gang to join...

I can fully understand why some people would be eager to reject the idea that culture has anything to do with the problem of crime in the black community. After all, it is so much easier to blame it on oppression and racism. If you are a victim of racism, then it’s somebody else's fault and it is up to them to change their attitudes. But if you're a victim of your own culture then it's up to you to participate in addressing the problem and seeking the solutions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta