Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,523,326 times

Advertisements

I wonder what made this rant come about.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,523,326 times
I guess it was only a matter of time before the NAACP got involved in the situation. Ive never heard of this radio host or his station, but I do see where he is coming from. The only way to really delute the thug element is to out number it with international people. The state trying to run the mexican community out, instead of allowing them to compete & plant their seeds here. Should the host lose his gig? Naw not really, he should be allowed to say what he wants imo.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 AM

18 posts, read 37,201 times
I think he does a job Americans just won't do. Besides, Atlanta is attracting the brightest from places like Jamaica NY so I doubt there are very many thugs. Plus the schools are so good.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Check your facts. Ed Schultz is a lousy journalist and a fool, and what you scrape off the bottom of your shoe is worth more than a day's worth of MSNBC.

Wonder how many new listeners I have today | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Box

382 posts, read 658,564 times
I love how he emphasizes "urban thugs." I think that we all know what "urban" means.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 37,201 times
Yes! Because Mom's with their kids at the local Target should be trained, armed and react with deadly force as they get their kid in the car. Sounds like a great place to live! Plus the schools are so good.

The irony is, that this is what is being advised for Atlanta residents on a national level. What a disaster Atlanta is.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
A link to one version of the story: Critics condemn Boortz rant on violent crime | 11alive.com

As someone who has lived here 27+ years, I can attest that certain types of crime have increased throughout the metro area, especially the suburbs. I will also say that the crimes seem to have become much more brazen and violent as well, compared to years ago.

Atlanta is a large city, and any large city is going to have a certain level of crime. But when I moved here, aside from select "drug neighborhoods", much of the crime involved car break-ins, home break-ins in certain intown neighborhoods, and a very rare mugging. Today, it does seem commonplace to hear about "crews" raiding homes (with and without people inside), groups of guys in stolen SUVs mugging someone (with guns they use even if the person gives them what they want, in some cases), and "smash and grab" robberies in broad daylight, among others. These were not daily headlines in the 1980s or early-to-mid 90s. They seem to be now.

We can analyze why this seemed to happen so quickly, but there might not be any set answers. Is the influx of "Post Katrina" gang members that we received (verified by old Chief Pennington) the reason for the shift to more violent/brazen crime here? Is it that the last generation of criminals have procreated, and their offspring who are coming of age now are worse than they were, because of not having good Fathers as roll models when growing up? Is it poor City leadership? A combination of "all of the above"? Hmmmm.

I don't like Boortz. I think he's a loudmouth. I also don't like the idea of every single citizen here arming themselves and carrying "heat" when they go to the grocery store. However, I will say this - if more people who are carjacking and home invading wind up leaving the scene in body bags as opposed to handcuffs - yes, it MIGHT make some folks think twice before they do it. But it's a slippery slop between self protection and going back to the days of the Wild Wild West, too.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,541,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A link to one version of the story: Critics condemn Boortz rant on violent crime | 11alive.com

As someone who has lived here 27+ years, I can attest that certain types of crime have increased throughout the metro area, especially the suburbs. I will also say that the crimes seem to have become much more brazen and violent as well, compared to years ago.

Atlanta is a large city, and any large city is going to have a certain level of crime. But when I moved here, aside from select "drug neighborhoods", much of the crime involved car break-ins, home break-ins in certain intown neighborhoods, and a very rare mugging. Today, it does seem commonplace to hear about "crews" raiding homes (with and without people inside), groups of guys in stolen SUVs mugging someone (with guns they use even if the person gives them what they want, in some cases), and "smash and grab" robberies in broad daylight, among others. These were not daily headlines in the 1980s or early-to-mid 90s. They seem to be now.

We can analyze why this seemed to happen so quickly, but there might not be any set answers. Is the influx of "Post Katrina" gang members that we received (verified by old Chief Pennington) the reason for the shift to more violent/brazen crime here? Is it that the last generation of criminals have procreated, and their offspring who are coming of age now are worse than they were, because of not having good Fathers as roll models when growing up? Is it poor City leadership? A combination of "all of the above"? Hmmmm.

I don't like Boortz. I think he's a loudmouth. I also don't like the idea of every single citizen here arming themselves and carrying "heat" when they go to the grocery store. However, I will say this - if more people who are carjacking and home invading wind up leaving the scene in body bags as opposed to handcuffs - yes, it MIGHT make some folks think twice before they do it. But it's a slippery slop between self protection and going back to the days of the Wild Wild West, too.

I can stand behind this.

What I am tired of is bad policing.

In my mom's neighborhood we can call the cops on the drugs and then get pulled over by a K9 unit. Then the next day, I end up sitting in traffic behind an obvious drug deal.

Code enforcement goes after legitimate land owners with maybe a fallen tree, while at other lots a whole jungle can grow or a land fill/dump site can develop, while people call it in, but nothing is done.

If they want more dead thugs, how about funding more police, and having them drive around in unmarked vehicles in plain clothes. I know they do that now, but they use unmarked black vehicles with hidden lights for traffic stops on memorial drive. Not busting up drug houses. And if you can't afford cars, then have them walk the streets of Atlanta, especially Memorial drive.

Last edited by Java378; 06-20-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,670,499 times
Lightbulb Well Said Greg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Especially the part about 'the slippery slope between self-protection and the Wild West'...where do you draw the line---and how?

I had a chance to listen to at least part of the Boortz soundbite on (don't flog me, y'all LOL) The Ed Schultz show, and regardless of what folk think of his 'journalistic talent', what I and my wife heard was downright scary...

As a black man, too many folk think sometimes that when black folk are involved in criminal/illegal/violent activity, that the rest of us are somewhere silently cheering them on (yeah bruh!...go 'head and stick it to Whitey!)...are they f*****g kidding with that nonsense? I live in the real world, and them doing dumb stuff on a consistent basis A) casts unnecessary aspersions on those of us who choose to live quiet, law-abiding lives, and B) cuts short any meaningful dialogue, because out come the stereotypes...

I can't count the number of times, in this forum (Atlanta) alone, that I've seen good, well-intentioned threads get derailed because folks start barking at each other, instead of trying to talk without each successive post getting more and more heated...

And to stay on topic here, another poster upthread suggested 'we know what he (Boortz) means when he says 'urban''---very true, but the mere fact that he, in his zeal, was actually calling for people to basically be shot dead, no matter what label he used/uses, is bordering on utter madness...there has GOT to be a way to quell that problem in Atlanta without suggesting that everybody become some armed hot-headed vigilante...I don't have an ounce of sympathy for the criminals, but I do fear for the innocents who might get hurt if someone decides to take Mr Boortz up on his 'offer'...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
there has GOT to be a way to quell that problem in Atlanta without suggesting that everybody become some armed hot-headed vigilante...
There is, but unfortunately the "no more taxes" crowd would never allow the alternative to happen.

Alternative:

Step 1: Start charging anyone who commits a crime that involves weapons use as an adult from the age of 13 and up. Robbery while holding/using a weapon, having a weapon on your person if breaking into a home, etc. If you're old enough to carry it (and in some cases, use it), you're old enough to be charged and tried as an adult.

Step 2: Anyone 13 and older who uses a weapon in a crime to intimidate a victim (without actually using the weapon on the victim) automatically gets 20 years in prison without parole or any early release options. If they use the weapon to harm the victim, 40 years in prison without parole. If they kill the victim, the death penalty or life without parole. No exceptions.

Step 3 (the kicker): Increase taxes to fund the building of (many) more prisons to house those who are charged/sentenced under the new laws. Prisons without recreation/weight rooms, internet access, and cable TV.

Step 3 is what would cause the alternative to fail. People do want harsher punishments for criminals, and they do want to see criminals locked up for longer periods of time. They just don't want to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta