Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:25 PM

88 posts, read 304,164 times

Advertisements

My future hubby and I are moving to metro ATL. He'll be working near the Suwanee area and I'd like to get some input from the natives with regard to location, traffic, best places for kids, childcare etc.
First we're a very family oriented couple just hitting thirty looking for homes with a max price of $200k. We're not party people but we do like to hang out on occassion. We're looking in the following areas and would like to know of nice communities/subdivisions in the areas and in a nutshell a little bit what's it like? What is there to do - shopping, entertainment etc...how close/far?

More or of most importance - How are the schools? We have a 2nd grader and a 2yo so input on daycare, public and private schools would be of GREAT assistance. Is childcare expensive in GA or does it depend on where you send them? Where we're from abt $300 p/wk for a 2yo and $175 for a 8yo is standard...I think that's expensive but it's quality childcare- I've heard a good report about Kids r Kids and the Goddard school (which we have in Chicago too) Legacy academy and Primrose.

What about recreation? We're currently renting but have access to a pool, lots of parks and we're bombarded with activies for the kids and we'd like to move where these amenities are also available. We'll be visiting once we narrow it down and I'm hoping I can do that with advice from the natives -

In no particular order we're interested in:
Lawrenceville
Grayson area
Suwanee
Loganville
Walton area
Duluth
Dacula

Are they pretty easy to get around - things to do? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM

75 posts, read 324,560 times
In Loganville or walton county is were you have the least shopping or entertainment. Walton county/ Loganville is growing and lots of new construction is going up in the area. There are good schools and lots of childcare options and great homes. This area is a little further out so you will have more of a commute.

I really can't speak a lot on Dacula so I will leave that for some one else to chime in on.

Lawrenceville, Grayson, Suwanne, and Duluth- all have fairly easy access to I-85. Childcare options are available and also some great shopping with Mall of Georgia, Avenues at Webgin and Gwinnett Place Mall to name a few. There are many subdivision with available swim and tennis. I hope that helps!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Lightbulb Anybody from Chi-town moved to metro ATL?

I am hearing good things a bout Suwanee, Lawrenceville and Cummings (forgot about that one in the post)- with regard to the neighborhood atmosphere, recreation and housing.

But what about traffic - is it far from the above named areas to Alpharetta? What's the morning commute like?

With regard to the areas as well what are some subdivisions that are swim tennis communities? Maybe if someone could provide the zipcodes to some of the SD that they'd recommend- that would help.

Lastly anyone from chicago that has transplanted to the areas - tell me what you think- like it? Love it? Hate it?

Almost forgot about Dacula - is it about the same as Suwanee and the other areas listed?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 22,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futrMrsJ View Post
I am hearing good things a bout Suwanee, Lawrenceville and Cummings (forgot about that one in the post)- with regard to the neighborhood atmosphere, recreation and housing.

But what about traffic - is it far from the above named areas to Alpharetta? What's the morning commute like?

With regard to the areas as well what are some subdivisions that are swim tennis communities? Maybe if someone could provide the zipcodes to some of the SD that they'd recommend- that would help.

Lastly anyone from chicago that has transplanted to the areas - tell me what you think- like it? Love it? Hate it?

Almost forgot about Dacula - is it about the same as Suwanee and the other areas listed?
Check out 30024, 30040, 30041, 30043 which are Suwanee, Cumming and Lawrenceville zips - Cumming and some of Suwanee are in Forsyth county - lower taxes - Suwanee & Lawrenceville are Gwinnett county - taxes lower than most. South Forsyth schools are excellent, as are many of Gwinnett schools - Depending on your location in Alpharetta, Suwanee and Cumming are close. Of course, that also depends on your location in Cumming or Suwanee..... Going up GA 400- it's Roswell, Alpharetta and then Cumming. Suwanee is east of Alpharetta & Cumming. Most of the communities are Swim/tennis - what price range are you looking at? Are schools important?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,239 times
Quote:
My future hubby and I are moving to metro ATL. He'll be working near the Suwanee area and I'd like to get some input from the natives with regard to location, traffic, best places for kids, childcare etc.
First we're a very family oriented couple just hitting thirty looking for homes with a max price of $200k. We're not party people but we do like to hang out on occassion. We're looking in the following areas and would like to know of nice communities/subdivisions in the areas and in a nutshell a little bit what's it like? What is there to do - shopping, entertainment etc...how close/far?

More or of most importance - How are the schools? We have a 2nd grader and a 2yo so input on daycare, public and private schools would be of GREAT assistance. Is childcare expensive in GA or does it depend on where you send them? Where we're from abt $300 p/wk for a 2yo and $175 for a 8yo is standard...I think that's expensive but it's quality childcare- I've heard a good report about Kids r Kids and the Goddard school (which we have in Chicago too) Legacy academy and Primrose.

What about recreation? We're currently renting but have access to a pool, lots of parks and we're bombarded with activies for the kids and we'd like to move where these amenities are also available. We'll be visiting once we narrow it down and I'm hoping I can do that with advice from the natives -

In no particular order we're interested in:
Lawrenceville
Grayson area
Suwanee
Loganville
Walton area
Duluth
Dacula

Are they pretty easy to get around - things to do? Please help!
Hi there,
I sent you a PM. But then I saw your post. I have some links for lawrencville and grayson as well as Buford. I have been to all three places and they all have good schools (and some bad as well) I personally love Grayson and thier schools are top notch ....Convienient to get to...by car yes...everything you could need is not far at all...If youre talking public transportation not good at all from what I have seen and heard.
I found lots of things to do for kids( I have an 11 yr old) like country water parks, swimming, tennis, basketball, boys clubs(dont know if they have girls club...anyone? museums, nice restraunts, Mall of GA and others as well and every convievable restraunt is available near the Mall of GA and other areas. There is also alot of attractions in and around Atlanta and other areas as well...We wanted to go see Stone Mountain but were not able to sqeeze it in our trip but we did see part of it in our travels and it is beautiful.
I just went to GA for a week and it was all househunting but we are going back this month(God willing) to make a last look b4 moving...We are all very excited about the move and didnt see one thing that we didnt just love...except maybe that Buford and Grayson dont actually have a downtown area like Lawrencville does but they are both nice towns in thier own unique and serene way...Old and lovely...The people...What can I say..Southern Hospitality is Alive and well in GA....Your price range is what I have been looking in and I have seen at least 100 homes in all three towns that are lower...of course there are higher but I see no need to look at higher when there are some absoultely beautiful homes in all three areas I mentioned for less than or around 200K. And just so you know...GA doesnt believe in Small or modest homes...IMHO they are ALL HUGE LOL...stay in touch let me know if I can help....Lisa

Old 08-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga1998 View Post
Check out 30024, 30040, 30041, 30043 which are Suwanee, Cumming and Lawrenceville zips - Cumming and some of Suwanee are in Forsyth county - lower taxes - Suwanee & Lawrenceville are Gwinnett county - taxes lower than most. South Forsyth schools are excellent, as are many of Gwinnett schools - Depending on your location in Alpharetta, Suwanee and Cumming are close. Of course, that also depends on your location in Cumming or Suwanee..... Going up GA 400- it's Roswell, Alpharetta and then Cumming. Suwanee is east of Alpharetta & Cumming. Most of the communities are Swim/tennis - what price range are you looking at? Are schools important?
Hi Ga1998!

Thanks for the reply- We've set our budget at $200k b/c from the looks of it and as Lisa said we've seen lots of nice homes that aren't $200k. But the finer point in it all is schools- we'd like to be in a good school district and from what I'm hearing there are many but you have to make sure you buy in the district so it seems that that will be the challenge.
Thanks for the zip info. I'll check into those and see what I can find.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi there,
I sent you a PM. But then I saw your post. I have some links for lawrencville and grayson as well as Buford. I have been to all three places and they all have good schools (and some bad as well) I personally love Grayson and thier schools are top notch ....Convienient to get to...by car yes...everything you could need is not far at all...If youre talking public transportation not good at all from what I have seen and heard.
I found lots of things to do for kids( I have an 11 yr old) like country water parks, swimming, tennis, basketball, boys clubs(dont know if they have girls club...anyone? museums, nice restraunts, Mall of GA and others as well and every convievable restraunt is available near the Mall of GA and other areas. There is also alot of attractions in and around Atlanta and other areas as well...We wanted to go see Stone Mountain but were not able to sqeeze it in our trip but we did see part of it in our travels and it is beautiful.
I just went to GA for a week and it was all househunting but we are going back this month(God willing) to make a last look b4 moving...We are all very excited about the move and didnt see one thing that we didnt just love...except maybe that Buford and Grayson dont actually have a downtown area like Lawrencville does but they are both nice towns in thier own unique and serene way...Old and lovely...The people...What can I say..Southern Hospitality is Alive and well in GA....Your price range is what I have been looking in and I have seen at least 100 homes in all three towns that are lower...of course there are higher but I see no need to look at higher when there are some absoultely beautiful homes in all three areas I mentioned for less than or around 200K. And just so you know...GA doesnt believe in Small or modest homes...IMHO they are ALL HUGE LOL...stay in touch let me know if I can help....Lisa
Hi nibseygirl!

I got your pm and I'm glad to hear that you've been able to go see GA already. My fiance will be there in 2 weeks indefinitely for work and to do some research for us. It seems as though we'll be renting before buying b/c time doesn't allow for me to come and see the neighborhoods, schools etc. so that we can both make an informed decision. But, we have to move sooner than we'd plan b/c of work....so we have to be flexible. I agree with your comment about the houses- they are huge by any comparisson to what we'd get in Naperville, Aurora or any other surrounding suburb where we're located. Currently we're in an Amli apartment and while it was planned that the next move will be a house - moving to GA with a short time frame doesn't lend itself to that. I'll definitely keep in touch and do feel free to share your findings with me. I think every little bit helps! And seeing as though it seems that we have some of the same goals - nice home in a safe neighborhood in a good school district it just may behoove us to talk to you soon - Iesha

Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM

62 posts, read 436,217 times
Traffic in Duluth is always horrible for the most part. The local police are quite annoying as well. Schools heavily mixed between great and horrible.

Atlanta housing prices directly reflect school quality. The more you end up paying, the better the schools in 9 out of 10 scenarios. 200k will put you in the average-upper average spectrum.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,239 times
Quote:
Hi nibseygirl!

I got your pm and I'm glad to hear that you've been able to go see GA already. My fiance will be there in 2 weeks indefinitely for work and to do some research for us. It seems as though we'll be renting before buying b/c time doesn't allow for me to come and see the neighborhoods, schools etc. so that we can both make an informed decision. But, we have to move sooner than we'd plan b/c of work....so we have to be flexible. I agree with your comment about the houses- they are huge by any comparisson to what we'd get in Naperville, Aurora or any other surrounding suburb where we're located. Currently we're in an Amli apartment and while it was planned that the next move will be a house - moving to GA with a short time frame doesn't lend itself to that. I'll definitely keep in touch and do feel free to share your findings with me. I think every little bit helps! And seeing as though it seems that we have some of the same goals - nice home in a safe neighborhood in a good school district it just may behoove us to talk to you soon - Iesha
Iesha,
How is your search going? We are looking at short term rentals right now as our financial situation has hit a snag by about 3 months so we are going to make the move this way and continue to look for a house while living in the area too. I think that will be a bit easier too..More info, details, first hand observations, likes/dislikes etc....I hope at least...Anyone know any short term rentals(extended stays, homes, apt etc) that allow pets please let me know....Grayson, Lawrencville,Snellville and Buford are our areas of concentration...Grayson is prefered...But we are open to any of the above...
Thanks all and Keep in touch Iesha...Best of Luck...Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta