U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM

7,732 posts, read 13,057,330 times

Advertisements

^Okay, I have a real problem with some of this Q&A content. If this group is to be taken seriously, they need to drop the remarks like "Anywhere you go in the World hates the Atlanta Airport."

And this little gem - "Think of the business people who will look at Gwinnett county to build a business because they don't have to deal with MARTA and a government ran operation that hires people who can't make a career at McDonalds."

Total BS and borderline race-speak are not going to play well here. This group just lost any shread of credibility with me. This smacks as nothing more than a pipe dream by a bunch of dolts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM

956 posts, read 3,080,457 times
JohnATL,

You appear to be one of those individuals who is against the privatization of the Gwinnett County airport for whatever reason. Did you listent to the link of the interview with a potential NY investor who is looking to buy the airport?

20,000 new jobs directly and indirectly will be added to Gwinnett County. Can you please explain to me what you disagree with what this man is proposing?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,694,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Hey guys.. let's show some support fo the Privitizing Briscoe Field.

Here are some Q&A on facebook fan page for Privitizing Briscoe Field:

Please let us know if you have any questions that you would like answered pertaining to the possible privatization of Briscoe Field.

Hi Mark,

A typical airport gate has approximately seven operations per day. Ten gates would serve about seventy daily flights. Airliners will almost never depart or arrive at Briscoe Field after midnight or before 6AM so the typical operational day is no longer than 18 hours. Seventy daily operations divided by 18 hours is 3.8 or about four flights per hour during the operating day.

Several airlines have expressed interest in serving Briscoe Field but we cannot reveal which ones just yet. For competitive reasons airlines hold those kinds of plans closely.

Many Lawrenceville residents are concerned about the noise level that will result from privatization of Briscoe Field. I know most of the immediate neigbhoring property is commercial, but just beyond that, there are neighborhoods. If you could draw a circle around the airport, that people would really not want to live in, because of the noise and commercial nature, how big would that circle be? In other words, would you buy a house within 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or 2 miles of this ariport?

I live a mile from Marta now and would love to come to Gwinnett to avoid the Atlanta Airport. I also live near PDK airport (which is much busier than Briscoe) and the noise isn't bad at all. The trains makes much more noise than those jets will. Oh yeah, I also grew up in Gwinnett and worked in Lawrenceville (passed by the airport everyday) and I go to college in Gwinnett so I'm just as much as a Gwinnettian as anyone on here.

People need to quit living in the past. Lawrenceville was never that nice of a city to begin with. Sure they cleaned up "downtown" Lawrenceville but it is still a crime mecca. And saving a few town shops isn't as important as giving the Atlanta metro a viable transportation hub for businesses since most businesses operate in North/NE metro Atlanta. Anywhere you go in the World hates the Atlanta Airport. Think of the business people who will look at Gwinnett county to build a business because they don't have to deal with MARTA and a government ran operation that hires people who can't make a career at McDonalds.

Not to mention the competition with the Atlanta Airport should bring flight prices down. It would be nice to fly to Savannah for a weekend trip and not spend more than it costs to fly to Chicago or LA.

Atlanta is a major city people and most if not all major cities have 2 commercial airports. LA, DC, NYC, etc.

Go Briscoe Expansion!!!

Yes...GO BRISCOE EXPANSION!!! I think it is exactly what Gwinnett County needs. As a corporate travel agent, many of my clients would love to be able to fly in/out of Lawrenceville instead of dealing with Hartsfield. I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of possible employment with the new expansion - having worked in the past at Peoria IL airport and loving it, I am thrilled at the possibility of working at an airport again, but not having to drive south of the city to do so. I think this expansion will bring so much opportunity to Gwinnett County. If anyone knows where I can get my name on an employment waiting list, please, let me know!!!

My in-laws have lived all of their lives about 1 mile from the Peoria Airport and the jet noise is not horrible. The neighborhoods are very nice and it is not where the crime is in the city either.

Join the facebook "Privitizing Briscoe Field"

The Case to Privatize Gwinnett County Airport at Briscoe Field - Press Release

Listen to this radio: Propeller discusses Briscoe Field on the Ty Young Show. This guy nails it on why Gwinnett County is needed.
This is some of most pompous bull**** I have ever heard. The bolded parts are the true gems of this asinine soliliquy. Let me sign over my house, home values, and quality of life so that you don't have to go to Atlanta. The latest FEDERAL survey has said that another airport isn't needed. The only reason many metros in the US have 2 airports is because at one point their main airport ran out of room to expand. This isn't the case with Hartsfield-Jackson. I'm not actually against privatizing the airport. However, I am against anyone telling me I need to suck it up and deal with it when they live somewhere else. That will not fly.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 PM

EricSonga,

I hope you know that i did not write that. I copied and pasted what was written on the Briscoe Facebook page. I also own a home in Gwinnett Couny that has gone down in value quite a bit since i bought. I don't think home values will do down like you think if Briscoe gets realized, but the other way around. What drives real estate prices is gateway access, population growth, jobs, schools, etc. did I say jobs? Briscoe will direct and indirectly bring 20,000 new jobs into Gwinnett County almost 9.5% unemployment rate.

Briscoe will open up the gateway for more businesses to setup shop in Gwinnett and area will only be more desirable. If my gwinnett property plummetted in value, but the metro atlanta as a whole greatly benefited from this... I would be all for it.. but again.. I think that property values in Gwinnett will go up, not down and desireability to live in Gwinnett will become even stronger.

Looking at the scenarios it appears that the ones who hold the decision keys are the Gwinnett County residents and possibly even Delta Airlines.

I want to see my new home and place where i will raise my family " CITY OF ATLANTA" prosper and become the new innovative world class city that everyone talks about "How they wish they can move, work, and live there."

Last edited by mrpanda; 06-28-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

EricSonga,

Keep in mind they are not trying put in another Hartfield in Lawerenceville, just a small 10 gate satellite airport. Currently 805,000 people reside in Gwinnett and 170,000 people in Forsyth. That number will be 1.3 million in Gwinnett and 300k in Forsyth by 2020. Hartfield Airport may be able to handle the population now, but it will not be able to handle to service the metro population in 2020, thus the 2nd airport is needed.

Case in point. LAX is in Inglewood which is not a good area to live, but John Wayne airport practically sits in Irvine, CA, one of the most sought after and desirable real estate in the country.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
JohnATL,

You appear to be one of those individuals who is against the privatization of the Gwinnett County airport for whatever reason. Did you listent to the link of the interview with a potential NY investor who is looking to buy the airport?

20,000 new jobs directly and indirectly will be added to Gwinnett County. Can you please explain to me what you disagree with what this man is proposing?
I am not impressed with anything related to this proposal, know for a fact that the airlines are NOT interested in this and have a huge problem with this groups credibility after reading the ridiculous Q&A session.

I don't for one minute believe anything this group proposes going forward. Yes, privatization may be something to look into for Briscoe Field, but not with this group.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Case in point. LAX is in Inglewood which is not a good area to live, but John Wayne airport practically sits in Irvine, CA, one of the most sought after and desirable real estate in the country.
Yes, and the NIMBY's that live around John Wayne make life for that airport as absolutely miserable as they possibly can.

Flights leaving SNA have to take off almost vertically, cut their engines over the upscale residential areas due to local noise abatement laws, and can't land after a certain hour in the evening - no matter what. A flight was on final approach there last month and the tower refused to allow them to land as they were about 10 minutes past the curfew. It is also much, much more expensive to fly out of SNA than at LAX.

Not exactly the model I would want to emulate for Atlanta.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,034,039 times
Quote:
AirportBusiness.com » Article » Gwinnett County Airport Privatization Supporters Undeterred (http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=45381&pageNum=4 - broken link)

What's up with all the opposition?

The Gwinnett County Airport doesn't have any intention to replace the Hartsfield Airport. Only going to improve the lifestyle of the northern Atlanta residence with more jobs, businesses coming, easy access to travel.

As LAX is to (Hartsfield), John Wayne Airport is to (Gwinnett County Airport)

If Atlanta is going to be taken seriously as a world class city like NYC, Chicago, and LA we need a second commercial airport.. and we need it NOW at Briscoe Airport in Lawerenceville.

We need new innovative creative leaders in Atlanta and get rid of the old south mentality leaders who is afraid of change... and Damn right.. Atlanta is going to change for the better to be taken seriously as a world class city.

If i am wrong.. I will be making a big mistake moving there in 5 days.
Well said.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,694,978 times
Quote:
EricSonga,

Keep in mind they are not trying put in another Hartfield in Lawerenceville, just a small 10 gate satellite airport. Currently 805,000 people reside in Gwinnett and 170,000 people in Forsyth. That number will be 1.3 million in Gwinnett and 300k in Forsyth by 2020. Hartfield Airport may be able to handle the population now, but it will not be able to handle to service the metro population in 2020, thus the 2nd airport is needed.

Where is the study or facts that Hartsfield won't be able to handle continued growth in 2020?

Like I said, I'm not actually against privatizing the airport. I live about 10 miles away from the airport and I doubt I would have any disturbance from an expansion. In the end, I do think that it will benefit Gwinnett. However, I have a real problem with others telling the people of Gwinnett to essentially deal with it. I want to see the studies that say how it will benefit, what the costs and liabilities are to the tax payers, and what can be done about noise abatement and quality of life. Once I understand something, I can form an opinion. I will not however just take someone's word for it and screwed over. I don't think many people will.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,991,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, and the NIMBY's that live around John Wayne make life for that airport as absolutely miserable as they possibly can.

Flights leaving SNA have to take off almost vertically, cut their engines over the upscale residential areas due to local noise abatement laws, and can't land after a certain hour in the evening - no matter what. A flight was on final approach there last month and the tower refused to allow them to land as they were about 10 minutes past the curfew. It is also much, much more expensive to fly out of SNA than at LAX.

Not exactly the model I would want to emulate for Atlanta.
Eh, it's not terrible. You just do a derated takeoff (provided you can do it was 5700' TDA), make a 180 out over the ocean, then back inland.

They never should have gotten anywhere near final if they were already 10 minutes past the curfew. Also, up to a 20 minute extension can be granted to mechanical, weather, or security related delays at SNA.

They have a pretty large number of annual flights given the size of the field/number of gates, and I'd say about one to three a week are turned away on average for curfew violations.

I don't agree with the curfew for legal reasons, but I think SNA is a pretty good large regional model. I don't envision LZU getting quite that big, though, at least not anytime soon, but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta