U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,468,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
There will be a strong northern job center to accomodate these northern cities. Life style will greatly improve, small businesses will boom and real estate prices in the cities mentioned above to will be on the fast track of recovery as people will have a strong desire to live, play and work in Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Milton, and Johns Creek.
It would make absolutely no difference since the east west roads in the northern suburbs are such an incredible mess! It takes about the same time to drive from Alpharetta to either airport. Mapquest lists only a five minute difference. Considering the high rate of speed on GA 400(non-rush hour) and the slow traffic on Pleasant Hill/State Bridge or Abbotts Bridge the 400 might actually be quicker.

Driving Directions from Alpharetta to Hartsfield-Jackson

Driving Directions from Alpharetta to Gwinnett Cnty-Arprt-Lzu

If local governments won't do the minimum road safety improvements like adequate street lights or center dividers,they certainly won't have an interest in an airport that will increase traffic on already overburdened roads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 AM

5,845 posts, read 5,034,928 times
Mr. Panda--a couple of points:

1. John Wayne Airport isn't privatized. It's owned by Orange County, California. Why exactly would privatizing Gwinnett County Airport magically make it a better place?

2. Most major metro areas who expanded from a second airport went from a smaller, domestic one to a larger, international one. Dallas expanded from Love Field to DFW, Chicago expanded from Midway to O'Hare, Houston expanded from Hobby to Intercontinental, DC expanded from National to Dulles, etc. To expand from the busiest airport on the planet to a smaller, regional one would be largely unprecedented.

3. A second commercial airport for the Atlanta metro has been looked into for years, but nothing has ever come of it, largely because nobody can agree on where to put it. And for good reason, too--who wants to live in the approach path of even a regional airport?

BTW, Middle Georgia Regional Airport--south of Macon--has very little commercial airline service (one airline, to be exact, and it ain't Delta or Airtran). I wonder what kind of opportunities that airport has, were it to receive a passenger terminal?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,373,411 times
From today's AJC, on potential sites for a second Atlanta airport. Cost, noise, airspace issues ground airport sites *| ajc.com

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM

956 posts, read 3,080,185 times
I have no doubt in mind that Gwinnett Airport Bricoe Field will win this over the 7 other sites

I am in full support of Bret Smith with Propeller Investments.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM

15,486 posts, read 25,004,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
From today's AJC, on potential sites for a second Atlanta airport. Cost, noise, airspace issues ground airport sites *| ajc.com

I read this earlier today.

In my opinion (and it wasn't one of the seven finalists), I think the Newnan-Coweta Airport is the best location for a second airport.

I can explain my reasoning on another post.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 PM

64 posts, read 202,266 times
please start a post on your reasoning why the Newnan airport is the best local
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta