U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
956 posts, read 3,077,558 times
Reputation: 424

Advertisements

AirportBusiness.com » Article » Gwinnett County Airport Privatization Supporters Undeterred (http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=45381&pageNum=4 - broken link)

What's up with all the opposition?

The Gwinnett County Airport doesn't have any intention to replace the Hartsfield Airport. Only going to improve the lifestyle of the northern Atlanta residence with more jobs, businesses coming, easy access to travel.

As LAX is to (Hartsfield), John Wayne Airport is to (Gwinnett County Airport)

If Atlanta is going to be taken seriously as a world class city like NYC, Chicago, and LA we need a second commercial airport.. and we need it NOW at Briscoe Airport in Lawerenceville.

We need new innovative creative leaders in Atlanta and get rid of the old south mentality leaders who is afraid of change... and Damn right.. Atlanta is going to change for the better to be taken seriously as a world class city.

If i am wrong.. I will be making a big mistake moving there in 5 days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,542 posts, read 4,983,985 times
Reputation: 2642
LZU would make a great little regional airport to divert some of the RJ traffic out of ATL, but like everything, it'll have to overcome the NIMBYs.

Also I'd say if it's done right it could maybe become something more like Westchester County (HPN) rather than SNA. SNA gets 757s every day and has destinations as far away as HNL and EWR/JFK, although that would be nice.

Another stumbling block may come from ATL itself. It'll never voluntarilly favor anything that could threaten its bragging rights of the bussiest airport in the world, and a second airport would do exactly that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Snellville, GA
468 posts, read 1,293,175 times
Reputation: 163
Enjoy your move, mrpanda!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
956 posts, read 3,077,558 times
Reputation: 424
OMG that is complelely nuts! Don't they see ATL will have even bigger bragging rights and will be taken seriously as a world class city when they get a second airport? To think that the smaller airport will compete with Hartfield is ridiculous with only 10 gates. The northern Atlanta communities and quality of life of (Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Milton, Johns Creek residents, etc.. would absolutely boom!)

There will be a strong northern job center to accomodate these northern cities. Life style will greatly improve, small businesses will boom and real estate prices in the cities mentioned above to will be on the fast track of recovery as people will have a strong desire to live, play and work in Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Milton, and Johns Creek.

The PROS out weigh the CONS BIG TIME! These old time Southern leaders need to get their head out of the sand. I wonder if the city of Atlanta feels threatened that North Fulton, Forsyth and Gwinnett County will become too powerful in the future? Is this one of the reasons for the opposition for Milton County (Splitting from Fulton County) and approving the second airport in Lawerenceville? All of these steps allows more independence for the nothern atlanta counties? Is this similar to Orange County and Los Angeles County where OC residents did not want to pay taxes for Los Angeles County. I am just wondering.... why there is so much opposition.

I agree that dreaming of LZU to become like John Wayne (SNA) is a little too optimistic, but even a 10 gater will do. The distance between LAX and SNA is almost identical to that of ATL and LZU. Imagine if you can fly direct to LAX or SNA out of LZU with DELTA Airlines. Now that is a dream!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
LZU would make a great little regional airport to divert some of the RJ traffic out of ATL, but like everything, it'll have to overcome the NIMBYs.

Also I'd say if it's done right it could maybe become something more like Westchester County (HPN) rather than SNA. SNA gets 757s every day and has destinations as far away as HNL and EWR/JFK, although that would be nice.

Another stumbling block may come from ATL itself. It'll never voluntarilly favor anything that could threaten its bragging rights of the bussiest airport in the world, and a second airport would do exactly that.

Last edited by mrpanda; 06-26-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 13,044,484 times
Reputation: 2774
The FAA study on a second airport is wrapping up, and they basically have concluded that there is absolutely no cost benefit to be had by building one. The study found that Dobbins & McCullom Field were the most suitable locations - but still too expensive. Delta and Southwest are officially opposed to the idea. The City would probably fight it too, as has been mentioned. This has nothing to do with "old time Southern leaders" or any such nonsense. This was a Federally funded FAA study, not some backroom hack job deal by a bunch of good ole boys.

The sky is not falling over North Metro due to the lack of a second airport, either.

Will secondary airport ever fly? *| ajc.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,542 posts, read 4,983,985 times
Reputation: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The FAA study on a second airport is wrapping up, and they basically have concluded that there is absolutely no cost benefit to be had by building one. The study found that Dobbins & McCullom Field were the most suitable locations - but still too expensive. Delta and Southwest are officially opposed to the idea. The City would probably fight it too, as has been mentioned. This has nothing to do with "old time Southern leaders" or any such nonsense. This was a Federally funded FAA study, not some backroom hack job deal by a bunch of good ole boys.

The sky is not falling over North Metro due to the lack of a second airport, either.

Will secondary airport ever fly? *| ajc.com
Delta is always going to be crazy opposed to anything that even rhymes with "second airport." ATL is one of, if not the largest fortress hub in the nation and they've got it on lockdown. They don't want anyone else coming to play in their backyard.

The same can be said to a lesser extent to Southwest, now that they own AirTran. They're a somewhat distant second place in Atlanta, but they still don't want to give up their market share to anyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Snellville, GA
468 posts, read 1,293,175 times
Reputation: 163
mrpanda, so, if all those other cities will benefit so much, why don't they move it to Mathis Airport in Forsyth - closer to all those cities that will enjoy the benefits? Not to mention that most of those cities you mentioned are not in Gwinnett county, although the Gwinnett county residents will be more closely and directly affected by any airport changes.

If 10 gates are THAT important, I'm sure Hartsfield would find a way to add them there.

I can also understand Milton wanting to split from all of Fulton county - heck, most of northern Fulton county wants to split. Nothing wrong with that, either.

Just out of curiosity, where's the home you're fixing to move to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
956 posts, read 3,077,558 times
Reputation: 424
Peachstatehomegal,

Yeah.. Forsyth County's current population is 170,000 and it will reach 300,000 by 2020. I don't know how Hartsfield alone will be able to accomodate this growth. I just envisioned Gwinnett County becoming a major job center hub for norther Atlanta residents with fortune 500 companies like NCR headquartered there.

LOL. the analogy I am thinking of North Fulton wanting to split from Fulton County is like a 40 year old adult wanting to move out of his father's house and become independent. I think this is the next big step for Atlanta where Milton County can use its tax dollars for the north and not share it with Fulton County and a 2nd commercial airport somewhere in the north.

I am not sure what you meant by "Where's the home you're fixing to move to, but I will be moving to St. Marlo which is a subdivision right on the border of Forsyth and North Fulton. I see great potential for Atlanta's future and I am very fortunate to experience it.
Atlanta would be my idealistic place to live if the 2nd airport in the north becomes a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
mrpanda, so, if all those other cities will benefit so much, why don't they move it to Mathis Airport in Forsyth - closer to all those cities that will enjoy the benefits? Not to mention that most of those cities you mentioned are not in Gwinnett county, although the Gwinnett county residents will be more closely and directly affected by any airport changes.

If 10 gates are THAT important, I'm sure Hartsfield would find a way to add them there.

I can also understand Milton wanting to split from all of Fulton county - heck, most of northern Fulton county wants to split. Nothing wrong with that, either.

Just out of curiosity, where's the home you're fixing to move to?

Last edited by mrpanda; 06-26-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,692,556 times
Reputation: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Peachstatehomegal,

Yeah.. Forsyth County's current population is 170,000 and it will reach 300,000 by 2020. I don't know how Hartsfield alone will be able to accomodate this growth. I just envisioned Gwinnett County becoming a major job center hub for norther Atlanta residents with fortune 500 companies like NCR headquartered there.

LOL. the analogy I am thinking of North Fulton wanting to split from Fulton County is like a 40 year old adult wanting to move out of his father's house and become independent. I think this is the next big step for Atlanta where Milton County can use its tax dollars for the north and not share it with Fulton County and a 2nd commercial airport somewhere in the north.

I am not sure what you meant by "Where's the home you're fixing to move to, but I will be moving to St. Marlo which is a subdivision right on the border of Forsyth and North Fulton. I see great potential for Atlanta's future and I am very fortunate to experience it.
Atlanta would be my idealistic place to live if the 2nd airport in the north becomes a reality.
I think what she meant was that it's easy for one to say something is great for everyone when you are not the one that is going to have to deal with the disadvantages.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
956 posts, read 3,077,558 times
Reputation: 424
Hey guys.. let's show some support fo the Privitizing Briscoe Field.

Here are some Q&A on facebook fan page for Privitizing Briscoe Field:

Please let us know if you have any questions that you would like answered pertaining to the possible privatization of Briscoe Field.

Hi Mark,

A typical airport gate has approximately seven operations per day. Ten gates would serve about seventy daily flights. Airliners will almost never depart or arrive at Briscoe Field after midnight or before 6AM so the typical operational day is no longer than 18 hours. Seventy daily operations divided by 18 hours is 3.8 or about four flights per hour during the operating day.

Several airlines have expressed interest in serving Briscoe Field but we cannot reveal which ones just yet. For competitive reasons airlines hold those kinds of plans closely.

Many Lawrenceville residents are concerned about the noise level that will result from privatization of Briscoe Field. I know most of the immediate neigbhoring property is commercial, but just beyond that, there are neighborhoods. If you could draw a circle around the airport, that people would really not want to live in, because of the noise and commercial nature, how big would that circle be? In other words, would you buy a house within 1/2 mile, 1 mile, or 2 miles of this ariport?

I live a mile from Marta now and would love to come to Gwinnett to avoid the Atlanta Airport. I also live near PDK airport (which is much busier than Briscoe) and the noise isn't bad at all. The trains makes much more noise than those jets will. Oh yeah, I also grew up in Gwinnett and worked in Lawrenceville (passed by the airport everyday) and I go to college in Gwinnett so I'm just as much as a Gwinnettian as anyone on here.

People need to quit living in the past. Lawrenceville was never that nice of a city to begin with. Sure they cleaned up "downtown" Lawrenceville but it is still a crime mecca. And saving a few town shops isn't as important as giving the Atlanta metro a viable transportation hub for businesses since most businesses operate in North/NE metro Atlanta. Anywhere you go in the World hates the Atlanta Airport. Think of the business people who will look at Gwinnett county to build a business because they don't have to deal with MARTA and a government ran operation that hires people who can't make a career at McDonalds.

Not to mention the competition with the Atlanta Airport should bring flight prices down. It would be nice to fly to Savannah for a weekend trip and not spend more than it costs to fly to Chicago or LA.

Atlanta is a major city people and most if not all major cities have 2 commercial airports. LA, DC, NYC, etc.

Go Briscoe Expansion!!!

Yes...GO BRISCOE EXPANSION!!! I think it is exactly what Gwinnett County needs. As a corporate travel agent, many of my clients would love to be able to fly in/out of Lawrenceville instead of dealing with Hartsfield. I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of possible employment with the new expansion - having worked in the past at Peoria IL airport and loving it, I am thrilled at the possibility of working at an airport again, but not having to drive south of the city to do so. I think this expansion will bring so much opportunity to Gwinnett County. If anyone knows where I can get my name on an employment waiting list, please, let me know!!!

My in-laws have lived all of their lives about 1 mile from the Peoria Airport and the jet noise is not horrible. The neighborhoods are very nice and it is not where the crime is in the city either.

Join the facebook "Privitizing Briscoe Field"

http://www.whyprivatizebriscoe.com/press.php?pressID=5

Listen to this radio: Propeller discusses Briscoe Field on the Ty Young Show. This guy nails it on why Gwinnett County is needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top