Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairecal View Post
I had the same question of Alpharetta vs. Duluth.

I'm not familiar with the area other than the neighborhoods seem to be similar to the one I live in now, which we love. Heavy with kids, neighborhood swimming pool, etc.

I will be working in Doraville. Can someone recommend some subdivisions in the Alpharetta area that fit the bill? Preferably in the 30022 zip.

Also, Alpharetta (30022) shows by Mapquest to be about 11 miles from Doraville. I'll probably be going @ 6am, earlier than most, will the commute be brutal in terms of traffic?
Well, you could give a slight edge to Duluth in terms of easier route to get to Doraville, in that you could probably head down Peachtree Parkway or Peachtree Industrial, rather than having to either wind your way over there from Alpharetta or take your chances with GA 400 and I-285. But honestly, put that way, my answer would probably be neither -- I'd look really hard at Dunwoody. From most Dunwoody neighborhoods you could get to Doraville without ever getting on a freeway, the schools in most of the Dunwoody area are comparable to those in North Fulton or Gwinnett (and those in the Duluth area are going to get worse instead of better over the next decade). Lots of families, lots of neighborhoods with pools, etc. Was there a reason you passed over Dunwoody initially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 14,043 times
Smile To the Constantly Ignorant who God Sees

To the person who responded to the Duluth vs. alpharetta vs. Roswell post.
I would first like to say, the comment about how if you are looking to not live around black people or hispanics, then alpharetta would be the perfect choice. That is the most Ignorant and racist thing you could ever say. Just to let you know, I am a black Professional along with my husmand as well, We along with countless others( Members of our Staff) are Relocating to the Alpharetta area, and most likely will be your Neighbor! If you have a problem with it, then you can move your ignorant self somewhere else, I would suggest around more minorities where you might learn how to appreciate ALL OF GOD'S CHILDREN! White people, chinese people, Hispanics, Blacks and the list goes on, have problems. Nobody in this world is perfect or superior. The Ultimate Upper hand is Jesus Christ. If you continue to think the way you do, and allow yourself to be Closed-minded, not only will you have to answer to God, you will not have to worry about the color of my skin because you will spend eternity looking even blacker than me while you are burning in Hell for Rejecting God's People. I am a Very successful African American Woman who has Friends along all Barriers. I will live around any type of people, My only purpose for this post is to not jump down anyone's throat, but to obviously educate the Upper Class Ignorant. I pray that you will let God change your heart, so you will see the kingdom of God, if you are not open for change, then God bless you anyway because you will most certainly need it for where you are going.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Well, you could give a slight edge to Duluth in terms of easier route to get to Doraville, in that you could probably head down Peachtree Parkway or Peachtree Industrial, rather than having to either wind your way over there from Alpharetta or take your chances with GA 400 and I-285. But honestly, put that way, my answer would probably be neither -- I'd look really hard at Dunwoody. From most Dunwoody neighborhoods you could get to Doraville without ever getting on a freeway, the schools in most of the Dunwoody area are comparable to those in North Fulton or Gwinnett (and those in the Duluth area are going to get worse instead of better over the next decade). Lots of families, lots of neighborhoods with pools, etc. Was there a reason you passed over Dunwoody initially?
Probably cuz their school system isn't very good after the elementary school level.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by childofgod2 View Post
To the person who responded to the Duluth vs. alpharetta vs. Roswell post.
I would first like to say, the comment about how if you are looking to not live around black people or hispanics, then alpharetta would be the perfect choice. That is the most Ignorant and racist thing you could ever say. Just to let you know, I am a black Professional along with my husmand as well, We along with countless others( Members of our Staff) are Relocating to the Alpharetta area, and most likely will be your Neighbor! If you have a problem with it, then you can move your ignorant self somewhere else, I would suggest around more minorities where you might learn how to appreciate ALL OF GOD'S CHILDREN! White people, chinese people, Hispanics, Blacks and the list goes on, have problems. Nobody in this world is perfect or superior. The Ultimate Upper hand is Jesus Christ. If you continue to think the way you do, and allow yourself to be Closed-minded, not only will you have to answer to God, you will not have to worry about the color of my skin because you will spend eternity looking even blacker than me while you are burning in Hell for Rejecting God's People. I am a Very successful African American Woman who has Friends along all Barriers. I will live around any type of people, My only purpose for this post is to not jump down anyone's throat, but to obviously educate the Upper Class Ignorant. I pray that you will let God change your heart, so you will see the kingdom of God, if you are not open for change, then God bless you anyway because you will most certainly need it for where you are going.
While I agree w/what you said, I'm not sure which post you're referring to. Was it in this thread?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 PM

212 posts, read 546,945 times
If you are working in Doraville I would choose Duluth just because it's a long drive to Doraville from Alpharetta. You will spend an awful lot of time in your car.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 70,014 times
In the Alpharetta area there are plenty of subdivisons: Windward (275K to 3M), Village at Jones Ferry (140K to 190K), Berkshire Manor (170 to 200K), Hunter Close (170K to 230K), Devonshire (170K to 200K), Hillbrooke (250K to 350K), Parsons Run (280 to 350K), Glen Abbey (575K to 750K). There are many more. It depends on your income and what you can afford. Punch up these neighborhoods on the internet. All the schools are good. This is a great community with Country Club of the South being one of the most popular.

Last edited by jxu66; 08-20-2007 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 04:48 PM
PDL

4 posts, read 14,894 times
Smile Doraville

Not sure where you will be working in Doraville, but a lot of that area is questionable at best. But zip code 30022 will be a good place to live. Most prices over $400$ - $millions.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
PDL

Unhappy 11 miles

I forgot to mention, in Atlanta suburbs, 11 miles can be a long commute. Our roads were not designed to handle the heavy traffic load here. So, 11 miles can easily be an 1 hr. commute. If you drive by school zones its even worse. Drive it morning, afternoon, evening and weekends (during rush hours) if at all possible BEFORE you pick an address for home!! Wish you the best!!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 PM
PDL

Default Is Dunwoody a very safe place to live and shop? Crime?

According to Sperling's, Dunwoody does not have a very good score for crime. They rate violent crime & property crime pretty high! Yet, I have heard it is a wonderful place to live. ??

Does anyone live or work in that area? Can you tell me if this if true and are you comfortable shopping, living, eating out or walking in Dunwoody, Ga.? Thanks for your thoughts. Is there any area to stay away from in particular?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDL View Post
According to Sperling's, Dunwoody does not have a very good score for crime. They rate violent crime & property crime pretty high! Yet, I have heard it is a wonderful place to live. ??

Does anyone live or work in that area? Can you tell me if this if true and are you comfortable shopping, living, eating out or walking in Dunwoody, Ga.? Thanks for your thoughts. Is there any area to stay away from in particular?
Dunwoody is not actually a city, it is just an area of northern DeKalb County. You need to look at the individual area and neighborhood. There probably is more property crime around the Perimeter Center area, just because there is a high concentration of shopping and offices. The neighborhood areas are affluent and a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta