Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 11:58 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,643 times

Advertisements

I really would like to relocate to Atlanta. I recently received my BS in Marketing and I'm looking for a job. I have 2 internships in that field along with extensive customer service experience, I have been constantly job hunting and applying for the past month without a call back. I always note in my applications that I will relocate upon the acceptance of the offer. I'm getting discouraged. Does anyone have any tips that will help me land an interview? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:01 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
Tough job market as you know, and in your field, stiff competition, but I would describe that for most any industry right now.

Do you know anyone already in Atlanta? That always helps, using your network contacts.

Could you visit Atlanta some and attend job-related network events? Just something where you can have face-to-face time with recruiters.

I would just apply as much as I could for positions where I at least half-way qualified for. Many times the job postings are unrealistic anyway to me, expecting so many skill sets, but in this environment, the employers are still at a huge advantage.

Good luck to you, I relate well to what you have been through. I would also try getting some great advice the job board on this forum. There is often good advice posted there. //www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM

thanks for the advice

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
To be blunt, the job market in Atlanta still sucks. My husband was laid off in March 2008, and even with a degree and 20 years of experience, he only just found a new job last week -- at half his former salary. Over those 3+ years he sent out close to a thousand resumes and got only a dozen calls, and even fewer interviews. Think about how frustrated you feel after just a month, multiply that by 36, and you'll have some sense of how discouraging it can be.

Geography does make a difference. There are so many people out of work everywhere that employers don't need to look outside their own locations. DH was open to finding work in other cities and relocating, but found that employers really only want to talk to local people -- if nothing else, so they don't have to pay to relocate anyone.

I'm not saying that you can't find anything here, but as SW30303 mentioned, networking helps a great deal. Sometimes it really is all about who you know. I don't recommend moving here without having a job first, so you're in a Catch-22 situation, but if you have friends here you could stay with temporarily, that might help.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM

151 posts, read 290,671 times
My husband and I have been trying to find jobs in Atlanta from New Orleans for 3 months. We had one company call back for him twice. That was two weeks ago. I haven't received one call back. Patience. Its a hard job market right now, and alot of employers don't want to pay for relocation or have to worry about that at all. If you note that you are willing to relocate, add that you are willing to pay for your own relocation. That may help. Thats what we've been doing.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM

I've noted that too. I'm just being persistent and hoping something will come through soon

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Georgia is no place for someone without a job. You need contacts but I'm sure they can barely give you guidance as they are probably trying to hang onto their job. Being that you live out of state makes it less likely that someone will contact you about a job. Keep trying though and if you can use someone who lives in Atlanta's address & phone # IMO that helps. As a back up plan maybe you should look for jobs where you live in case you don't get what you are looking for in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: