Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Indeed. I mean its not the fault of the crooks/thieves -- they were just doing what "comes natural". We should put the "stupid" victims in jail and give the criminals a pat on the back for teaching those dummies a lesson!
Oh geez. Listen, do not play this game that I was insinuating that the criminals responsible for this spree are without fault. If caught they should be charged with grand larceny and kept underneath the jail.

BUT

Any city resident must be prepared to deal with reality. One unfortunate reality of city life is that there are large numbers of people always waiting around for the opportunity to strike. Do not give them the opportunity.

Here are the basic rules to car ownership in a city:

-Never leave anything of value in plain sight. This includes electronics as well as check books, bags with purchased merchandise, tools, and basically anything that can be sold at a pawn shop. Take it inside at night and if that is too difficult put it in your trunk. A car is like your front lawn and not like your bedroom. You wouldn't leave your iPod on a stool in your front yard would you? Why would you do basically the same with your car?

-Do not get cheap insurance coverage if you can afford not to and keep a video/picture catalog of all of your belongings. One big mistake people make is that they take the minimum insurance coverage law literally. They never think of protecting themselves and their investment in getting additional coverage to protect against uninsured drivers, break-ins, and damage caused by natural occurrences. Another is that a lot of people do not keep a visual catalog of the stuff they own. If you submit a claim to the insurance company to help replace what you lost, they rarely "take your word for it".

Despite the obvious guilt of those perpetrators who would break into your car, you really have only yourself to blame if you do not take steps to protect your valuables and by extension your hard earned money.

Last edited by waronxmas; 07-18-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Bottom line: don't leave stuff in your car in this city. The surest way to be a victim of crime in this city is to leave something in your car, and the surest way to avoid being the victim of a crime is to avoid leaving anything in your car.

It's would be awesome if the cops started leaving monitored decoy cars around with iPods sitting on the passenger seats, and massively publicize a few busts. At least make the thieves sweat if they want to engage in this sort of crime.
Problem is these kinds of thieves don't really read the news. They're in and out in no time and half of them are just crackhead hobos needing quick money for a fix. Real thieves would be taking more of the high end rims or even headlamp/taillights/airbags of some of these cars. Those generally are worth far more than the dime a dozen GPS units they're getting or the Best Buy special Sony Xplod CD players.

They could probably build in a GPS find feature (ala phone finder apps) in most of these GPS units and they'd probably all converge in one of the many urban campsites around town.

I parked my car outside of my private garage at my apt in Duluth for 5 hrs one evening b/c I was late meeting w/ friends and my car was broken into for a 9yr old CD player and my spare change cup. Repairs to the exterior and dash cost me over 1k and they could get maybe $25 for that CD player but they skipped the $400 in speakers installed in the doors. It wasn't a bad area and my rent was $800/mon back in '06. Crackheads are everywhere so it's best to have a car that's just not a target. That means no fancy wheels, no tint (glass breaks in one piece), no aftermarket stereo, and definitely no windshield mounts.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Here are the basic rules to car ownership in a city:

-Never leave anything of value in plain sight. This includes electronics as well as check books, bags with purchased merchandise, tools, and basically anything that can be sold at a pawn shop. Take it inside at night and if that is too difficult put it in your trunk. A car is like your front lawn and not like your bedroom. You wouldn't leave your iPod on a stool in your front yard would you? Why would you do basically the same with your car?
A friend of mine had his car broken into repeatedly. APD advised him that the best defense was simply to leave the car unlocked. That way the thieves could get in and poke around, hopefully without tearing anything up.

It sounds counter-intuitive at first but when you think about it it makes sense.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

714 posts, read 813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You live in an fictional reality if you think there is a better alternative than street smarts. Crimes of opportunity will always happen, no matter what. The ONLY thing one can do is make themselves less likely to be the victim.
I dont leave my valuable stuff in view. Its a sad but necessary precaution.

"Crimes Of Opportunity is merely a euphamism for horrid criminal beahvior. There are still many people who could walk by a car with a 50 dollar billl lying on the seat and not feel compelled to bash the window.

COO is like saying a woman who walks to her car alone at night deserves to be raped because she was "careless about her personal security".

Moreover, it points to the degredataion of our society and what qualifies as normal behavior.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

714 posts, read 813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A friend of mine had his car broken into repeatedly. APD advised him that the best defense was simply to leave the car unlocked. That way the thieves could get in and poke around, hopefully without tearing anything up.

It sounds counter-intuitive at first but when you think about it it makes sense.
Sure. Leave your doors open too. Better than having them break in.

Also, when away from home leave a note telling any thieves where the "good stuff" is so they dont have to tear the house up searching. Leaving milk and cookies out is a nice touch too, and should engender kinder treatment of your property -- they might even leave you something as a way of showing their appreciation!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You live in an fictional reality if you think there is a better alternative than street smarts. Crimes of opportunity will always happen, no matter what. The ONLY thing one can do is make themselves less likely to be the victim.
The name of that fictional reality could be "City-Data Forum Real Estate Broker Fantasyland". You're correct that in the current environment we should all drop our love and trust of fellow Atlantans and act as if we are under siege. But there's no need for you to act so glib and happy about it.

It is a plain and simple fact that this kind of rampant crime did not happen on Lenox Road before the MARTA trains were built. Opponents of the MARTA trains predicted exactly this result. Remember when Lenox Square's police force consisted of an old guy driving a golf cart? I miss those days.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 07-18-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It is a plain and simple fact that this kind of rampant crime did not happen on Lenox Road before the MARTA trains were built.
LMAO!

Yes, I'm sure there was zero crime on Lenox Road prior to the train station opening. Zilch, none, nada. hahaha

Also, it is a curious thing bring up in regard to this incident since reports showed it happened in early morning hours when MARTA is shutdown. Whomever committed the crime drove there.

FYI, the train station on Lenox Road has been open for almost 30 years...

Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
The name of that fictional reality could be "City-Data Forum Real Estate Broker Fantasyland". You're correct that in the current environment we should all drop our love and trust of fellow Atlantans and act as if we are under siege. But there's no need for you to act so glib and happy about it.

It is a plain and simple fact that this kind of rampant crime did not happen on Lenox Road before the MARTA trains were built. Opponents of the MARTA trains predicted exactly this result. Remember when Lenox Square's police force consisted of an old guy driving a golf cart? I miss those days.
Nothing I said was glib or happy, and I am in no way associated with real estate brokers.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
I dont leave my valuable stuff in view. Its a sad but necessary precaution.

"Crimes Of Opportunity is merely a euphamism for horrid criminal beahvior. There are still many people who could walk by a car with a 50 dollar billl lying on the seat and not feel compelled to bash the window.

COO is like saying a woman who walks to her car alone at night deserves to be raped because she was "careless about her personal security".

Moreover, it points to the degredataion of our society and what qualifies as normal behavior.
You might have a point if I had said anyone deserves to have their car broken into. As it is, you do not have a point.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
What kind of crook is going to ride the train to Lenox, go break into 30 cars and then walk back to the station, wait on the train and schlep his loot back home? I think most of these thieves probably drive to wherever they are robbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta