Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 AM

167 posts, read 553,378 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have never been to Atlanta, however, numerous friends have suggested it to me as a possible place that I might relocate to when I mentioned that I need to get out of NYC. (Might be going to Atlanta in a few months for biz so I can check out some of it than regardless). So wanted to see if you thought Atlanta would be a good candidate for me:

1. Single, 33 Yr old professional female
2. Somewhat liberal but not to the extend of Portland, OR
3. Grew up in Chicago and have been living in NYC now for 4 yrs
4. Love the feel of a big city and variety that Chicago and NYC offer but NYC is turning me from a "nice Midwesterner" into a "hostile, aggressive Nyer." Starting to crave space - even though I have a decent sized one bedroom by Manhattan standards. And sick of being stepped on daily and crushed on the subway (I am pretty tiny).
5. Not really into the party scene but like to go here live music, comedy, occasional museum, different ethnic restaurants,
6. Into the outdoors and like to run, hike, kayak, train for triathlons...anything outdoors really that doesn't involve snow
Are there running trails, etc within Atlanta proper - without having to drive outside of the city?
7. Heat and humidity don't bother me as long as it isn't yr round - like the change of seasons/fall in NYC and the leaves/trees - can do without winter

My real concerns are:
1. Feeling landlocked (although I lived in Mexico City and was fine with that)
2. Lived in Miami for almost 3 yrs and absolutely hated it - and I know a lot of Miamians moved there
3. I know Atlanta is supposed to be diverse but is it more segregated or mixed?
4. How dog friendly is it?

Thanks - sorry for the long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM

96 posts, read 405,555 times
I think you would really like Atlanta since you can deal with the humidity. There are several different neighborhoods that are ITP-that means Inside the Perimeter. There is a lot of diversity, but I think tolerance is key. I live in town, in a house about 2-3 miles from the capitol and I love it here. There is plenty to do and everyday, it seems more cultured. I'm not a big fan of OTP/the suburbs. That is where most of the traffic is and it's stale and too cookie cutter for me.
As far as dog friendly, there are a few dog parks around. Piedmont Park (kind of like Atlanta’s central park) has a dog park. A lot of restaurants have dog friendly patio's.
In any direction, you can drive out and be in the country. There are great hiking trails north of Atlanta, that's were the Appalachian trail starts. The Ocean is only a few hours away by car.
As far as the Athletic thing goes, there is plenty to do here, since the weather is so accommodating.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Default Opinion of Atlanta

I am a native Southerner (Arkansas) that had the unfortunate pleasure of moving to Atlanta for a few months in the Summer of 2004.

Personally, Atlanta was not my cup of tea. Most of the "Atlanta area" is suburbs, there is tons of sprawl, and those suburbs are very "southern" "redneckish" IMO. Confederate flags on trucks, that kind of thing. I suppose if your plan is to live with the urban area that might be better. Atlanta is very hot, muggy, and wet in the Summer, as with most of the South. I personally did not see much culture in Atlanta. Hip-hop and partying seemed big there. I would say the diversity is definitely more segregated - most gays live in mid-town, blacks live in the southern part of atlanta, whites live more up north and in the suburbs. Hispanics increasingly moving to the suburbs, causing a bit of "white flight" into new suburbs, I'd say. Most of the South is dog friendly I think, just watch out, people like Michael Vick might try and steal them to dogfight them! Just playing.

Atlanta was not the city for me and I would not recommend it. I was fresh out of college and was not successful in finding many job opportunities there, maybe that soured my experience somewhat also. Based on what you describe, I would recommend a city like San Diego. I just moved there 5 months ago and so far really like it. You have the beach, the weather is great for doing outdoors stuff, mountains are just a few hours away, there are dog parks, dog beaches, lots of bike and jogging trails. The only drawback is the cost of living, a lot of bums, and the people are friendly enough but kinda...iffy. A little bit self-absorbed. A lot of midwestern transplants here also. Atlanta is more conservative than San Diego and San Diego does not have the crazy liberal vibe you might find in Portland or Seattle.

Another place you might like is Austin, though I've never been and can't say what it is like. But I'd definitely look into San Diego if you think you can afford it.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
If you move to Atlanta stick with the intown n'hoods like Inman Park, VAHI, Midtown. These are the most dog friendly areas of the city as well as being great walking n'hoods with plenty of live/play/work activities and I think you would fit in nicely with the vibe of the area.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-10-2007 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 PM

167 posts, read 553,378 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses - my friend that lives there now recommended Midtown to me as well.

Justsomeguy,

I would definitely have to be in the urban area no matter where I move. I don't think I would like it much if it is really segregated. I had actually been considering Austin or San Diego but sort of eliminated Austin due to being so land-locked - far from other cities of interest. I liked San Diego the few times I visited - yrs ago - but it didn't seem very diverse. Weather definitely wins out on San Diego though! Maybe I will revisit San Diego when it gets cold here in NYC this winter! :-) SD just seemed so quiet when I was there - not much action going on. I don't need crazy action but I remember seeing nobody on some fo the streets. If money was no object, I would move to San Fran but it would be nice to save even a bit of money. Is SD very ethnically diverse?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,124 times
Atlanta is out of the question for you if you like the outdoors. You can drive from Marietta to Decatur and back 10 times and not see one single person walking on the street. I recommend Denver or Salt Lake city, where the humidity isn't so terrible and you can get outdoors much.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:10 AM

61 posts, read 245,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Atlanta is out of the question for you if you like the outdoors. You can drive from Marietta to Decatur and back 10 times and not see one single person walking on the street. I recommend Denver or Salt Lake city, where the humidity isn't so terrible and you can get outdoors much.

I disagree...while we dont walk a lot here and depend too much on our cars, there is a lot of camping and hiking in the mountains only a 1 - 2 hour drive away. Also, if you were to live near the Chattahoochee River there are many nature trails along it.

While I usually dont recommend that people move here, based on your likes and dislikes it sounds like you would fit in well. The only exception is that it can be somewhat segregated here. That is something you just have to live with.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 57,661 times
I've lived in San Diego and now live in Atlanta. Atlanta is more "diverse", but also more segregated as someone else mentioned. I enjoyed outdoor activities so much more in SD as the bugs in ATL seem to think I am an all-you-can-eat-diner. Both are great for dogs, though my Basenji dog, developed fairly severe allergies when we moved here. Dog Beach in San Diego is awesome for dogs...Someone else mentioned Denver/Colorado Springs area. You might like that? Flights out of Denver to the beach are all the time these days.
Also you mentioned being a single gal. It seems to be much easier to date in SD. Or it could be that I'm older now and less date-able!
Good luck on your decision

Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM

136 posts, read 478,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Most of the South is dog friendly I think, just watch out, people like Michael Vick might try and steal them to dogfight them! Just playing
Unfortunately, this is very common in north Georgia. Many family pets are stolen to participate in dogfights.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 36,407 times
In both living and working in Midtown, I would say that sounds like the place for you.

Having been born and raised in the NYC area and relocating for far too many years to the west coast of Florida, I would say Atlanta is the best blend of both worlds. Midtown is by far my favorite. Why? Because of the diversity, the livestyle, the friendliness, the little shops, the museums and culture, the great restaurants and accessibility to Downtown, Buckhead, the airport and all other areas.

Many people walk in Midtown so I am not sure one writer did not see anyone. I sit on my balcony across from The Fox Theatre and watch people walking, riding their bikes, jogging and dog walking. I have never seen as many pet lovers in my life as I have seen in Midtown. Most owners here have two dogs which I find surprising since a vast majority of them live in condos. There even is a hotel called Hotel Indigo, right on Peachtree, that has a special day of the week (Tuesdays) for doggie cocktails. Owners come by and sit on the outside patio with their dogs who get free water, treats, etc. Of course, the owners have to pay for their own drinks. They even have two floors dedicated for people staying at their hotel with their pets.

Piedmont Park is in Midtown and is great for jogging, sports, outdoor concerts, art shows, and yes ... dogs.

Atlanta has its seasons, but much milder than New York. After all the years of being in Florida, I especially enjoy seeing the seasons again.

From what you are looking for, I would say Midtown is probably your best bet.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta