Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 48,181 times

Advertisements

Time is running out!! I am scheduled to give my security deposit on Monday for a condo in Norcross. However, after reading these post I see that there is a consensus that Norcross is gang infested and crime ridden. Are there any nice areas. I am relocating from California and I need a place immediately. I have found a very nice condo, but before I lock myself in I need to be sure that it is in a safe area.

It is in Norcross, in the middle of Peachtree Corners Circle NW, Spalding Dr. NW and Holcomb Bridge rd. NW.

Can anyone tell me if this is the bad area of Norcross?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 05:36 AM

36 posts, read 219,518 times
Norcross has some so-so areas, but it is nothing like inner city Atlanta or Los Angeles or, even, Oxnard. That general area is fairly nice -- there are a lot of businesses, and you are a few minutes away from a very nice, upscale outdoor mall.

I think a lot of people in Georgia assume that any area with Hispanic and Asian people is gang-ridden. Not true. I spent a lot of time in Norcross for shopping and eating out, and never had any problems.

Of course, you may be buying a condo in a gang-ridden complex. Have you asked your real estate agent for advice? Have you called the local police substation to ask how many calls they receive for that complex? Did you visit on a night or weekend to see how many people are milling around outside?

Trust your own gut instinct.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,380 times
I work in that area and it's nice during the day, but you'd have to visit at night to get a true sense. It is also not far from the old (historic) part of Norcross, which is nice, but on the other side of that you get to the Buford Highway area which is probably a little more questionable -- but again, I'm only familiar with the daytime aspect.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAbel View Post
Time is running out!! I am scheduled to give my security deposit on Monday for a condo in Norcross. However, after reading these post I see that there is a consensus that Norcross is gang infested and crime ridden. Are there any nice areas. I am relocating from California and I need a place immediately. I have found a very nice condo, but before I lock myself in I need to be sure that it is in a safe area.

It is in Norcross, in the middle of Peachtree Corners Circle NW, Spalding Dr. NW and Holcomb Bridge rd. NW.

Can anyone tell me if this is the bad area of Norcross?

The area you are talking about is not to bad. Your almost considered Roswell or Berkeley Lake than Norcross. The main issues with Norcross are along the 85 corridor to Buford Highway West then Jimmy Carter towards 29.

I noticed above the comment that once again brings race into the fray.
Let's look at Georgia as a whole.
2% Indian and other Asian
4% Asian
9% Hispanic
32% Black
51% White.

The estimate by the Census is, by the 2010 count under current migration, the white population in Georgia will dip below 50%.

What I am getting at is Georgia, and mainly the 10 county Atlanta metroplex is very diverse. The Business Journal actually refers to the Atlanta Metro area an "International City"

Basically, individuals start tossing the race card and ignoring the issues.

Central Norcross has some of the highest gang activity in the state. Norcross central in S. Gwinnett and areas of Clayton county have some of the highest crime figures. For example, in Norcross there were over 3 shootings last week. Two weeks ago a man was shot in the head for crossing Rt 23 Buford Hwy for no reason. An elderly man walking his dog was shanked in the stomach by a group of teens going through a gang initiation.

Now is all lost for Norcross? In my opinion No.
Norcross has one of the best geographic locations in the metro area. Something tells me that the general populace there is getting fed up and will start pushing back and in due time will bring the town back.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:29 AM

Atlanta is very diverse in total... but most individual neighborhoods are still homogenous. Roswell/Alpharetta/Cumming is mostly white, Norcross has a lot of Asians and Hispanics, and Atlanta itself is majority African-American.

I'm not disputing that Norcross has more crime than other areas in Atlanta -- but most parts of Norcross are fairly nice. That said, I agree that Buford Highway is not the best part of Norcross.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It is a small building with mainly older adults. In the surrounding areas there are alot of $300,000 homes. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I am unable to go into the cummunity at night because I am in California. This is why I am panicking.

I will call the local police station to see how many calls from this area. That was a good suggestion. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 AM

You should be fine. I'd recommend moving to Atlanta first, renting for a couple months (or go into temporary housing), and then buying, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:33 AM

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think it will be fine. I have gotten some positives regarding my particular area that makes me feel more comfortable.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAbel View Post
Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think it will be fine. I have gotten some positives regarding my particular area that makes me feel more comfortable.
Glad to see that you weren't scared away. One more good person moving to the area makes a big difference.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Do you know any Headhunters in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta