U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,132,058 times

Advertisements

Is the AT&T Communications building in downtown a telecom hotel? It looks so lifeless.

And that brown communications tower on top...I assume no architect was involved with the design? Even the building itself looks like an example of brutalist architecture.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM

10,629 posts, read 11,251,105 times
I think the Soviets designed it back in the 50s.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
VJP

699 posts, read 1,584,879 times
That's the old long lines aggregation point for the southeast. Not sure anything is actually going on in the building. The hotel is at 56 Marietta St.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 PM
VJP

AT&T Long Lines Building, Atlanta - SkyscraperPage.com

The Microwave Radio and Coaxial Cable Networks of the Bell System

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,132,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
That's the old long lines aggregation point for the southeast. Not sure anything is actually going on in the building. The hotel is at 56 Marietta St.
So it's nothing but an excessively built communications tower? Is there anything in that building?

56 Marietta Street is another "dead" building.

What about 55 Marietta Street. Very plain and blah looking building that also seems almost lifeless.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 PM

876 posts, read 2,106,276 times
56 Marietta Street has a telco called Telx in it (Internet backbone provider). I believe telx also owns the boring building at 56 Marietta St. People do work at Telx but probably small in number, perhaps no more than a few dozen workers or so, but just taking a guess. They provide service other to colocation (usually webhosting-related) and have POPs located there for the Internet (backbone connectivity). There could be more to it than that, but I don't personally know without doing Google-foo.

Not sure what is in 55 Marietta Street, maybe something similar (backbone telecom/internet provider or resellers). I think 55 Marietta could have some regular office space as well, but I am not for certain. Maybe another C-D forum member knows.

Back to the original poster's thread, I am not sure about the blocky, old Soviet one down the street with the AT&T sign on it. It might have a similar telecom setup for another Tier 1 provider besides AT&T or other colocations, but I know less about it other than it is ugly on the outside like you said, Mathman.

Last edited by SW30303; 07-19-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM

747 posts, read 1,410,318 times
It's stumpy-looking because it was intended as the base for a taller building.

Southern Bell Building (now AT&T Communication Building) by Marye, Alger, and Vinour

Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,236,901 times
I never paid attention to this building

Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 AM
VJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
56 Marietta Street has a telco called Telx in it (Internet backbone provider). I believe telx also owns the boring building at 56 Marietta St. People do work at Telx but probably small in number, perhaps no more than a few dozen workers or so, but just taking a guess. They provide service other to colocation (usually webhosting-related) and have POPs located there for the Internet (backbone connectivity). There could be more to it than that, but I don't personally know without doing Google-foo.

Not sure what is in 55 Marietta Street, maybe something similar (backbone telecom/internet provider or resellers). I think 55 Marietta could have some regular office space as well, but I am not for certain. Maybe another C-D forum member knows.

Back to the original poster's thread, I am not sure about the blocky, old Soviet one down the street with the AT&T sign on it. It might have a similar telecom setup for another Tier 1 provider besides AT&T or other colocations, but I know less about it other than it is ugly on the outside like you said, Mathman.
There;s quite a few tenants in 56 marietta. Level 3 for example. Approximately 1/3 of the internet traffic in the US goes through there (or perhaps surrounding addresses). You wouldn't know it from the outside, and that's just fine for those responsible for the security of the building.

You'll see those old long lines towers all over the country. After we had transcontinental fiber routes, the long lines network was decommissioned but the antennas have no value, hence no reason to bring them down. This was from back in the day when you had to have an operator literally 'patch' your call through to call long distance.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM

31,190 posts, read 30,951,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
It's stumpy-looking because it was intended as the base for a taller building.

Southern Bell Building (now AT&T Communication Building) by Marye, Alger, and Vinour
Great link, koko! I knew the building was "unfinished" but have always liked the way they got started.

That brown tower on top is one of the worst looking things in downtown Atlanta. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta