Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Bingo. I don't think at any point during this thread has anyone suggested that Atlanta was THE place to be for Asians or that there weren't other places with more prominence.

Asian Americans make a very small percentage of the population, so where Asians are concentrated in high numbers can all be seen as Meccas.

Another stand out for Atlanta is that we are by far the most prominent city for Asians for the entire Southeast (which Texas is not a part of). That's no small thing.
Fair enough. I respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

957 posts, read 3,342,407 times
OMG. Honey Pig looks awesome... Definitely going to check this place out?

Any other top 10 Korean restaurant recommendations in the Metro Altanta area?

Gallery

Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,538,616 times
Yeah, Honey Pig is good. It's more of an LA style Korean restaurant though. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want more traditional these are our two favorites (both on Buford Hwy):

Cho Dong Tofu (Dubu) - Don't miss their Soondubu Jjigae or Kimchi Jjigae. Both are excellent.

Han Il Kwan (BBQ)

Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 AM

187 posts, read 402,153 times
Default Images were sent!!!

Atlanta identified as a center of Asian-American culture (an "Asian Mecca") in South Korean textbooks-atlanta.png

Atlanta identified as a center of Asian-American culture (an "Asian Mecca") in South Korean textbooks-san-francisco.png

SO COOL!!!! The publicity this is giving to thousands of Korean students is Awesome to the max

Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM

229 posts, read 518,135 times
[quote=mceis;20164163] You are absolutely right. Africans do and we do need more to compensate. In my experience, the Africans say they are not treated well by the southern blacks because of their desire for higher education. And yes, it's more than "this one African I know...". I work tangentially with a group that builds education facilities in Africa. Until southern blacks stop viewing education as "acting white" they have no hope.

This is an interesting topic about Asian meccas, and what this means to the changing face of America. Some said it right about most immigrants and why they come to the USA and surpass natives, especially the perpetual "lower" class.
"Successful" immigrants are normally those who have the means to leave their native country, and also already have an education from “back home”. Just compare and contrast those who came here fleeing political persecution or who came as refugees, with those who chose to immigrate and you will find a big difference in education levels and achievement. Second, immigrant are highly motivated to achieve, because if they don't, they are viewed as a failure by those back home and simply just won't make here in America. Motivation enough? Many educated Africans are cab drivers or take other "menial" jobs for many years because their education is not enough. It often takes a generation or two of offspring before they are fully integrated in American society.
Many immigrants (including Asians), despite whatever level of education they have, do not have the acceptable skill-set to make it big in corporate America. The American corporation is a culture all to itself! And to make in that culture, you must change and adapt, or hit a glass ceiling.
Third, any African (or other minority immigrant) who looks down on undereducated southern black people should be ashamed! Many have forgotten where they came from. The tension is there between the groups because many African come with an arrogant disposition—which you won’t find on their native soil of Africa. However, black Americans can learn much from their long-lost brothers and sisters and value education more than they presently do. Although we should point out how most native blacks had no higher education (nor much access to it) up until less than 40 years ago—just a single generation. And now, if you were to take the top 20% achievers in the black community nationwide, and place them in any country, they could run it! (Only in America!)
Also, it was the southern blacks who suffered hundreds of years who paved the way for the other minorities, especially darker ones) to even have the opportunity to immigrate to this great country. Also, having lived in Africa, I found most Africans (and as someone pointed out most Asians) are the perpetual underclass within their own countries of origin. Uneducated, economically impoverished Africans in Africa are the vast majority. I think Asians "meccas" are good things. I love to see the diversity and Asians can teach other racial groups many good things, and can learn things also--even from impoverished, undereducated southern blacks.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
To be honest, I had thought you to be more intelligent than this. Obviously I was wrong, but I am glad I now know not to take anything you say seriously. Welcome to my sh*t list.
A list anyone with an ounce of intelligence and humility would be extremely proud to be on.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 PM

717 posts, read 891,866 times
[quote=Kingsley;20235926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
You are absolutely right. Africans do and we do need more to compensate. In my experience, the Africans say they are not treated well by the southern blacks because of their desire for higher education. And yes, it's more than "this one African I know...". I work tangentially with a group that builds education facilities in Africa. Until southern blacks stop viewing education as "acting white" they have no hope.

This is an interesting topic about Asian meccas, and what this means to the changing face of America. Some said it right about most immigrants and why they come to the USA and surpass natives, especially the perpetual "lower" class.
"Successful" immigrants are normally those who have the means to leave their native country, and also already have an education from “back home”. Just compare and contrast those who came here fleeing political persecution or who came as refugees, with those who chose to immigrate and you will find a big difference in education levels and achievement. Second, immigrant are highly motivated to achieve, because if they don't, they are viewed as a failure by those back home and simply just won't make here in America. Motivation enough? Many educated Africans are cab drivers or take other "menial" jobs for many years because their education is not enough. It often takes a generation or two of offspring before they are fully integrated in American society.
Many immigrants (including Asians), despite whatever level of education they have, do not have the acceptable skill-set to make it big in corporate America. The American corporation is a culture all to itself! And to make in that culture, you must change and adapt, or hit a glass ceiling.
Third, any African (or other minority immigrant) who looks down on undereducated southern black people should be ashamed! Many have forgotten where they came from. The tension is there between the groups because many African come with an arrogant disposition—which you won’t find on their native soil of Africa. However, black Americans can learn much from their long-lost brothers and sisters and value education more than they presently do. Although we should point out how most native blacks had no higher education (nor much access to it) up until less than 40 years ago—just a single generation. And now, if you were to take the top 20% achievers in the black community nationwide, and place them in any country, they could run it! (Only in America!)
Also, it was the southern blacks who suffered hundreds of years who paved the way for the other minorities, especially darker ones) to even have the opportunity to immigrate to this great country. Also, having lived in Africa, I found most Africans (and as someone pointed out most Asians) are the perpetual underclass within their own countries of origin. Uneducated, economically impoverished Africans in Africa are the vast majority. I think Asians "meccas" are good things. I love to see the diversity and Asians can teach other racial groups many good things, and can learn things also--even from impoverished, undereducated southern blacks.
And some of those Africans are descended from those who sold their own into slavery

And some people watch way too many made for tv movies about life in the hood. I don't know any blacks who consider getting an education and making a living for yourself "acting white". Where I'm from we call that "grinding"

"Acting white" is trying too hard to please white folks while forgetting what color your butt really is. And that goes for all minorities. Blacks, Asians, and Hispanics.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:07 PM

10,730 posts, read 13,261,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
Yeah, Honey Pig is good. It's more of an LA style Korean restaurant though. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want more traditional these are our two favorites (both on Buford Hwy):

Cho Dong Tofu (Dubu) - Don't miss their Soondubu Jjigae or Kimchi Jjigae. Both are excellent.

Han Il Kwan (BBQ)
Cho Dong Tofu absolutely is the bomb!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM

957 posts, read 3,342,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cho Dong Tofu absolutely is the bomb!
How does it compare to the Soon Do Boo Tofu place in the complex of HMART in Duluth?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 PM

386 posts, read 361,387 times
Originally Posted by muxBuppie
Yeah the notion that Asian in general are more intelligent and educated is silly when you actually look at the statistics in their own countries. The stereotype is silly. People like mceis push this stereotype that ignores real issues among the Asian race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Very true. Most people who buy into that notion also usually have never been to Asia. Five minutes after arriving in any Asian city save Japan will kill that notion.
With extensive experience living and working in Asia, I regularly observe some incredibly uneducated, undereducated, flat out dumb, or otherwise devoid of common sense Asians each day (and, for obvious statistical reasons fewer people of other ethnic heritages in Asia). On the other hand, I also regularly interact with some brilliant locals across Asia that fit firmly in many westerners under informed image of all Asians. Despite many a cultural and typical spousal head twister for my spouse and I, typically she fits quite comfortably in the favorably educated, rather brilliant, hard working, and deserving of her success category .

Last edited by Laowai; 08-06-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta