Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I am sure they are rethinking after this summer..............
Yeah you would believe that, wouldn't you. You are the dementor when it comes to Texas cities. Just all around unnecessary negativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,222,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Ehh, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but compared to my experience, your friend might have exaggerated things a little bit. For one, it's anything but a rarity for the temperature to go over 95 in Atlanta, especially when you factor in the humidity (which should not be undermined). It can and does get hot in Georgia, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And yes, Dallas' summers are longer and winters are shorter by comparison, but I personally wouldn't say that Atlanta's seasons are that much more distinct than North Texas, especially compared to the true four seasons you get in the northeast. While they are notably different weatherwise, both cities are still generally defined by hot summers and mild winters overall.

And it cannot be stressed enough that Dallas is currently experiencing one of its hottest summers in history, so this year can't be used as a common example. Atlanta has had its fair share of heat waves as well, so anyone thinking they'll escape the heat by moving to Georgia is mistaken.
No, one won't escape the heat by moving to Atlanta or anywhere in the south for that matter. No, he's not exaggerating. He's honest, he's lived in both places, and he never said it wasn't uncomfortable at times, but it just doesn't last as long and breaks from the heat are true happenings. Compare the comfort level index of Dallas and Atlanta which factors in the humidity on the hottest days. Overall, Atlanta is more comfortable than Dallas. I've heard this from others who have left the Dallas area for Atlanta. One describes the Dallas heat as, "Oh my God. It totally knocked me over." Those North GA mountains are pretty nice too.

P.S. And this summer is hotter than normally in Atlanta too.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,686,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah you would believe that, wouldn't you. You are the dementor when it comes to Texas cities. Just all around unnecessary negativity.
No I am not, and certainly not the only one, all you guys do is think that you live in the best place on Venus.....................And you do the exact thing when it comes to Atlanta as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Atlanta did not have 38 days and counting over 100 degrees either.

You didn't notice 4 seasons in Atlanta?

Honestly were you in a cave???
I'm amazed that one wouldn't think Atlanta had four quite distinct seasons. They pretty much last the duration of months as seasons should.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 PM

717 posts, read 892,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
No, one won't escape the heat by moving to Atlanta or anywhere in the south for that matter. No, he's not exaggerating. He's honest, he's lived in both places, and he never said it wasn't uncomfortable at times, but it just doesn't last as long and breaks from the heat are true happenings. Compare the comfort level index of Dallas and Atlanta which factors in the humidity on the hottest days. Overall, Atlanta is more comfortable than Dallas. I've heard this from others who have left the Dallas area for Atlanta. One describes the Dallas heat as, "Oh my God. It totally knocked me over." Those North GA mountains are pretty nice too.

P.S. And this summer is hotter than normally in Atlanta too.
The other poster here who has also lived in both pretty much confirms what I was saying. If your friend told you it was rare for temps to get above the mid 90s in the summer, then yes he was exaggerating. "Comfortable" is relative, and there are some who prefer the drier heat of Dallas to humid Atlanta.

Atlanta is having a warmer than usual summer but it's nothing compared to what Dallas is dealing with, as temps have almost consistently been a record breaking 10 degrees higher than average. Atlanta is also getting much more rain this season than us. So again, these summers can't be used to compare.

If Atlanta has "four seasons" then so does Dallas. The lengths of each season just differs. And you can't say Dallas never gets any breaks. During a usual summer in eastern Texas, occasional storms come through the area and drop the temps for a while to provide some relief. Last year in particular, we had quite a few breaks in central Texas

Last edited by Chalie Brown; 08-05-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
The other poster here who has also lived in both pretty much confirms what I was saying. If your friend told you it was rare for temps to get above the mid 90s in the summer, then yes he was exaggerating. "Comfortable" is relative, and there are some who prefer the drier heat of Dallas to humid Atlanta.

Atlanta is having a warmer than usual summer but it's nothing compared to what Dallas is dealing with, as temps have almost consistently been a record breaking 10 degrees higher than average. Atlanta is also getting much more rain this season than us. So again, these summers can't be used to compare.

If Atlanta has "four seasons" then so does Dallas. The lengths of each season just differs. And you can't say Dallas never gets any breaks. During a usual summer in eastern Texas, occasional storms come through the area and drop the temps for a while to provide some relief. Last year in particular, we had quite a few breaks in central Texas

Dallas has very little color in the Fall, the ugly mesquite trees do not change color, and the oaks just turn brown. Summer starts in March and goes until late November, Winter comes around Christmas and lasts for a few weeks.. Some trees never loose theirs leaves.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM

396 posts, read 598,274 times
Quote:
I lived in Dallas too for 5 years, felt like a prison sentence. I am talking about tree color in the fall which Dallas has very little, spring in Atlanta is second to none IMO. Lets see you are going to 108 again today, have fun.
the more trash you talk about texas, the more fodder you give others as an excuse to do the same about the city you're trying to elevate. stay klassy, brent.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
the more trash you talk about texas, the more fodder you give others as an excuse to do the same about the city you're trying to elevate. stay klassy, brent.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM

663 posts, read 1,717,313 times
Quote:
I am not arguing with you, but it is a lot more serious than a "little" heat wave.

PhotoBlog - Drought in Texas nearly dries out lake
You know San Angelo is almost 300 miles from Dallas, right? The drought in Dallas is bad but it's nothing like what's happening in Central and West Texas. Conditions in San Angelo are as indicative of Dallas as conditions in Savannah or Charlotte are indicative of Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Okay. So Atlanta's weather is warmer this summer, but you say it's not a rarity for the summer temps to get about the mid 90s? So far this season, today makes the 8th day above 95 during an over two-month time period.

I checked last year's calendar and I also remember him saying it was unusually warm in 2010, and Atlanta had 20 days above 95 from June 14 through September 11. Not too bad for a three-month time period. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want their weather either. It's all way too warm for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta