U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,294 times

Advertisements

We are somewhat familiar with the Roswell area, but have been looking at Suwanee as well.

Which town is better? Better schools, better people, better conveniences, better traffic, better home prices, better taxes??

We need all the help we can get. We have two teenagers....still in school.

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 PM

997 posts, read 4,434,091 times
I am hardly an expert. I am in the position as you. We will be relocating soon and have teenagers as well. Here is what I have gathered from my research and reading these threads.

Schools - Roswell

People - Don't know quite what you mean but Roswell is more affluent

Conveniences - Roswell has shopping as does nearby Alpharetta and Northpoint Mall. Suwanee has shopping at nearby Mall of Georgia and Gwinnett Place

Better home prices - Suwanee

Taxes - Suwanee (Gwinnett and Forsyth have lower taxes than Fulton)

If I am mistaken on any of these, I'm sorry. This is just my observation and research so far. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has more knowledge.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 4,685,177 times
I'm not an expert on Roswell, but one downside is that there is reportedly a concentration of illegal immigrants on Holcomb Bridge Rd. in a number of apartments, according to some people who live in that area - I have personally observed a number of low end apartments with predominantly Hispanic residents - I obviously don't know their immigration status. In Suwanee, I don't know of any significant concentrations of illegals or low end apartments for that matter.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,021 times
As a resident of Lawrenceville (on the Suwanee line) I can say that a big issue is really where you will be working/commuting to/etc.
Both cities have nice areas and not-so-nice areas (what cities don't?). But traveling up and down the Route 85 interstate and the State 400 are 2 different experiences.

Where will you be traveling to/from?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 PM

14 posts, read 54,170 times
I lived in Suwanee for 7 years and moved to Peachtree Corners (Norcross) because of traffic. Where you work should be a major influence and the schools the kids go to. My two went to Norcross High and both turned out great. I go for the lower taxes and you should see the Suwanee city center!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 37,638 times
Suwanee...Without a doubt

Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

425 posts, read 1,652,183 times
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndor75 View Post
Suwanee...Without a doubt

Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 AM

244 posts, read 597,302 times
jln69 and OhioNative both are correct.

Illegals gradually move further out as apartment complexes age, so Roswell will be getting some of those complexes razed in the next decade and Suwanee will be getting them. What happens is after a few years, places start to need repairs... then the landlords (mostly REITs) find it easier to fill the places up with those least likely to complain about health & code violations -- illegals. There are discussions/plans right now to tear down some of the dumps in Roswell (see Roswell East: Combining the best of Roswell's past and future. for one plan that would take out some dump apts). So right now, the closer-in burbs have issues, but they are gradually moving out. I moved to Alpharetta when I first relocated to this area because it had nice, new, clean apartments. Some of them are turning into dumps now, and I would no longer rent there. It's an ongoing cycle.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 AM

985 posts, read 5,486,799 times
I believe that Roswell East project is "unofficial" dead because residents think that it will bring too much traffic.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:43 AM

244 posts, read 597,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I believe that Roswell East project is "unofficial" dead because residents think that it will bring too much traffic.
I doubt it. I attended the meeting last month at the city commission where they presented the city's analysis. Bottom line with the traffic: no substantial impact -- it's a red herring.

It's so bad right now and getting worse that it must be addressed even if nothing is built there. They presented a number of options -- nothing built, Roswell East built as proposed, that area developed with current zoning, the northwest corner of Holcomb Bridge and GA-400 developed/not developed, etc.

In all the scenarios, we need another east-west route across 400, preferably two -- one south of HBR, one north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta