Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM

57 posts, read 151,142 times

Advertisements

We will soon be relocating to Smyrna/Vinings area and still have not decided on the best public middle or elementary schools in the area.

I have been trying to understand the South Cobb redistricting and have looked at the CCSD website but am still having difficulty understanding where the new schools will be, what they are replacing (or maybe they are just being added), the effect of certain subdivisions, etc. I am coning from out of state and am really trying to put all the pieces together.

We are considering a single family home or townehome. Also, are there any townhome communities that are family oriented?

Thanks so much for all your help. I would hate to relocate with my 4 kids and then be dissapointed by changing school zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
At this point, they are still on the input and information gathering stage. The School Board will present various alternative plans in September and gather additional input at that time.

If you look at the Presentation from the May meeting, you will find a list of the existing elementery schools and where they currently stand as far as over/under enrollment. The goal of the redistricting is such that the enrollments at the schools will be smoothed out to eliminate the extremes. After the new school is built, there should be room to grow in the system as a whole.

The new school was budgetted on the premise that it was a replacement school therefore at least one school must close. There are three schools that are currently targeted as the likely schools to close and they include Argyle, Belmont Hills and Brown.

If you live in one of those districts, your school at this point is very much up in the air at this time. The other districts are more likely to be affected at the edges where they try to smooth out over/under enrollments.

Districtst that touch the likely affected schools such as Teasly and King Springs are a bit nervous since they don't know how much they will be affected.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Thank you for your helpful information. I always appreciate your input on posts! Any thoughts on the townhome question?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM

I live in a Smyrna Townhome and it is definitely NOT family friendly but we are not a swim tennis community and there is no open area for kids to play. In my townhome community, you basically have two types. Young couples with no kids or baby/toddlers and 40+ single/divorced.

What is your attraction to townhomes that you think may be a better choice than a single family home?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM

The attraction is less to take care of, possibly a more simple life style and maybe good "community". I am very open to a house as well. Do you have any suggestions for good possible neighborhoods for us to look in? Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM

I am not up to date on the housing subdivisions in Smyrna. I rarely go west of Atlanta road or north of Spring road (unless I am out for a long run). Another thing you can find in Smyrna are new homes that are being built in older subdivisions. You see this around Market Village, Kings Springs Road and Jane Lyle Road.

Most new homes in Smyrna these days are very small lots. You are better off financially to pay someone directly to take care of your yard etc. than to pay a homeowners association and give up much of that control.

My townhome is fee simple so I still have responsibility just like a single family home. The attraction of a townhome for me had more to do with being single and the mix of residents in a townhome community and the size of the lot where I did not feel too distant from my neighbors.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM

Thank you for your kind assistance!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

276 posts, read 431,366 times
I also live in a townhome inside 285 and I agree, they are not really family friendly. I live in a swim/tennis townhome community and mostly what I see is that once families start having children they move away. Although we are a swim/tennis community, there is really no where for kids to play except in the streets.

There are cluster homes in Smyrna that essentially have a HOA to take care of lawn care, etc. But from what I recall from years ago, they were on small lots (of course) and higher end on the price scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: