U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 AM

906 posts, read 1,586,309 times

Advertisements

Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - Rank 11 to 20

Well, we're just barely in the top 20. I have to admit that Atlanta is much more walkable than I had initially figured, though our sidewalks and crosswalks leave much to be desired. If you haven't seen this site before, it's fun to type in your address and play around with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 AM

9,086 posts, read 14,437,543 times
LOL.So you so admit it nowt!!At least you are honorable enough be forthright about previous misconceptions.Atlanta has come a long way fast in being "walkable".

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 AM

222 posts, read 548,920 times
It should be noted that even though Atlanta is ranked 20 its Walk Score is only 52. According to the website, that score means "Somewhat Walkable — Some amenities within walking distance".

In 2008, Atlanta had the same Walk Score but ranked 22 (with Five Points, Poncey-Highland, and Sweet Auburn ranking highest). So, if anything, Atlanta is succeeding only because other cities have dropped in score.

It should also be noted that among the 300 most walkable neighborhoods in the US, only one neighborhood in Atlanta, Atkins Park, shows up on the list with a score of 92.

Let's hold off on the champagne until we can at least get the city up a few points in Walkability.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM

187 posts, read 365,100 times
Awesome news!!! Job well done, Atlanta

Bit by bit we are building an incredible city. Atlanta has come so far and it keeps getting better by the day. I do get frustrated (esp. in urban circles, like here on cd) because news like this still comes as a shock to ppl. They dont like to hear that Atlanta is a walkable city or that it is the most dense in the Southeast or that it is one of the most international cities or that it is one of the most green/sustainable cities or that it is safer than Salt Lake City. But they cant run from the TRUTH forever!! This is the NEW ATLANTA!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM

15,713 posts, read 58,631,486 times
Kindda goes against the grain of this ( //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...us-cities.html ) doesn't it?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM

8,149 posts, read 13,377,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Kindda goes against the grain of this ( //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...us-cities.html ) doesn't it?
No since the walk score is just for the city itself, while the safety study is for all of Metro Atlanta.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,126,397 times
Hmmm... they seem to have forgotten to include the "Potential to get shanked on a walk" factor in their walkability ratings.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
It should be noted that even though Atlanta is ranked 20 its Walk Score is only 52. According to the website, that score means "Somewhat Walkable — Some amenities within walking distance".
I highly question that 52 score. The reason being is that WalkScore does not calculate MARTA as part of Atlanta's walkability. Why do they do that you may ask? It is because MARTA does not keep open records on route information, thus WalkScore basically assumes in that score that there is no access to public transportation.

Just run a search on any neighborhood in Atlanta. They do not add public transportation locations into it's score which just blows my mind, but accounts for the low number. The best example of this is the West End which gets a 63....yet the population in the area has one of the highest public transportation usage and lowest non-car ownership number of anywhere in the City/State. I suppose they think those people fly on magic carpets rather than walk to where they need to go.

Quote:
In 2008, Atlanta had the same Walk Score but ranked 22 (with Five Points, Poncey-Highland, and Sweet Auburn ranking highest). So, if anything, Atlanta is succeeding only because other cities have dropped in score.
I'm not certain of this theory as it would mean that another city, in order to drop, would have to have a significant change to their urban environment. I'm not aware of such a thing occurring.

Quote:
It should also be noted that among the 300 most walkable neighborhoods in the US, only one neighborhood in Atlanta, Atkins Park, shows up on the list with a score of 92.
Going back to my first point, this is a prime example as to why WalkScore's assessment of Atlanta's walkability should be taken with a grain of salt. While Atkins Park and the surrounding area is walkable, they lack one very key thing: a direct MARTA rail connection. Since WalkScore does not calculate MARTA into formulating it's numbers, Atkins Park gets that score just on the built environment alone which is fine, but if you are living a car free lifestyle wouldn't it be nice to be within easy walking distance of train station.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Hmmm... they seem to have forgotten to include the "Potential to get shanked on a walk" factor in their walkability ratings.
I hope this is just a joke. Otherwise you need stop watching those fantasy movies about cities that act like just walking a street will get you killed. That rarely happens in real life.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM

222 posts, read 548,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
They do not add public transportation locations into it's score which just blows my mind, but accounts for the low number.
Excellent point; I did not realize Walk Score did not include MARTA. That basically invalidates this whole ranking in my mind. Not accurate to compare oranges (cities with public transportation calculated) to apples (cities without public transportation calculated).

You can sign a petition to have MARTA provide open data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: