Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times

Advertisements

If you are coming with a year's living expenses and a plan, you will be fine. Way to many people post on this board about simply moving here because the economy, climate, lifestyle, etc isn't appealing where they are.

I work with an agency that helps families in crisis, until the money runs out each month. GA doesn't offer much of a safety net.

People need to move where they get a job -- even if it isn't their first choice.

ATL's economy may be slower to recover than other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
No offense to this article or to the OP but I hate these articles and the "beware beware of moving" mantras..........We get it, its' BAD...but It's bad everywhere
Moving to another city (not just the Atlanta metro) without a job lined up first isn't really a wise move in any economy, in my opinion.

Sure, someone can get lucky, or it's possible they can get by on a $10/hour job, or maybe they're self-employed or have a career where it's easy to pick up a new position wherever they go, but most people with families need to be a lot more careful.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
People need to move where they get a job -- even if it isn't their first choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Moving to another city (not just the Atlanta metro) without a job lined up first isn't really a wise move in any economy, in my opinion.
These last couple of posts have such good advice, in my opinion, from people who know the score.

I myself am in metro Atlanta because of a job transfer. It's not like anyone offered my family a choice of moving anywhere we liked. If that happened, we wouldn't be here. But, particularly when there's a family to support, responsible people go where the job is.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
We should raise taxes on the people lucky/blessed enough to have jobs. That will stimulate the economy...
And we wonder why we're in so much trouble.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
Unless you have connections these days it's almost impossible to find a job. This is especially true in Atlanta and Georgia in general, where the economy is much worse than most of the U.S. And why the heck are post-graduate students "flocking" to Atlanta ? Are they just dumb ???

Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Unless you have connections these days it's almost impossible to find a job. This is especially true in Atlanta and Georgia in general, where the economy is much worse than most of the U.S. And why the heck are post-graduate students "flocking" to Atlanta ? Are they just dumb ???
It seems like that was the case even before the economic meltdown. In my opinion, and personal experience unfortunately, the economy has been crap here since at least 2005 when Katrina hit and gas shot to $5 a gallon. Yet folks still keep coming here like it's the land of milk and honey.

I'm sure for some folks(entrepreneurs maybe), Atlanta may be a logical place to relocate. However, it ain't what it used to be.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Before the recession, Atlanta was employing thousands--probably tens of thousands--of people in an unsustainable development boom. Construction workers, civil engineers, mortgage brokers, city planners, you name it. When the recession hit, we did not go back to a normal level of activity in these fields, but an extremely depressed level of activity in these fields. Development-related employment started shedding jobs like there was no tomorrow. And these layoffs are still continuing as companies were able to struggle for a few years but ultimately folded.

So not only did we lose all of the "excess" jobs in these areas, these sectors contracted so much that we are probably well below normal, healthy employment in these areas too. The silver lining is that once this excess inventory is absorbed, there will once again be a new need for development and some employment will rebound in these sectors (although it will not return to boom levels hopefully).

What we really need to watch is job growth outside of construction (-7,100 jobs year over year), finance (-9,600 jobs), and government (-18,500 jobs). By and large, other sectors have been treading water, which is worse than growth but better than shedding jobs. Maybe once the bleeding in gov't/construction/finance ends and they simply stabilize, the rest of the private sector will no longer face that headwind.

And yes, despite everyone in Atlanta seeming to envy Charlotte's "can do" attitude, the economy is just as crappy there as it is here. Let's hope it recovers: our two cities are major trade partners, and when one suffers the other one feels the pain as well.

Oh, and in my own personal sphere, I've got a good number of friends who have landed jobs lately. Several teachers, a translator, a public utilities consultant, and an ER analyst. I don't think any of them really had any connections especially.

Last edited by testa50; 08-06-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It seems like that was the case even before the economic meltdown. In my opinion, and personal experience unfortunately, the economy has been crap here since at least 2005 when Katrina hit and gas shot to $5 a gallon. Yet folks still keep coming here like it's the land of milk and honey.

I'm sure for some folks(entrepreneurs maybe), Atlanta may be a logical place to relocate. However, it ain't what it used to be.
I agree.

This metro has been one of the hardest hit, economically, in the southeast. Only southwest Florida was hit harder, and they will always have tourism to fall back on. Of course, we do have more opportunities living in a large metro. My point is that as a percentage of growth, it appears that Atlanta has been hurt worse than most. We're the equivalent of a Phoenix of the east, with not quite as drastic home depreciation, though it has been particularly stronger than most.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:41 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I work with an agency that helps families in crisis, until the money runs out each month. GA doesn't offer much of a safety net.

ATL's economy may be slower to recover than other places.
This is something many people fail to recognize, especially if they come here from somewhere that does have a decent safety net.

Quote:
I myself am in metro Atlanta because of a job transfer. It's not like anyone offered my family a choice of moving anywhere we liked. If that happened, we wouldn't be here. But, particularly when there's a family to support, responsible people go where the job is.
This was my situation as well. If I had compiled a list of 20 cities I wanted to live in Atlanta would never have made the list. I've lived next door to Georgia for most of my life and knew Atlanta wasn't my type of town. Given my druthers we'd be in Chattanooga--but there you go. Unless you're coming here from California or the northeast this town is substantially more expensive than what you're used to, and salaries are not commensurate with the cost of living. Definitely not something to jump into lightly.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:39 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,305 times
[
Oh, and in my own personal sphere, I've got a good number of friends who have landed jobs lately. Several teachers, a translator, a public utilities consultant, and an ER analyst. I don't think any of them really had any connections especially.[/quote]

It's nice to know that someone is getting hired. That gives me hope that I'll be able to get an interview somewhere soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta