Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
Heh ... I doubt they're moving.

Where in Texas would they move? Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio already have teams. That only leaves Austin, but Austin's metro population is around 1.7 million while Atlanta's is closer to 5.3 million.

Atlanta's a viable city for a professional basketball franchise. The Hawks have never been run by a good ownership group, to be honest. 15 years ago, the Dallas Mavericks were in the same situation, only worse. All it took was a very dedicated owner (Mark Cuban) to turn things around and give the franchise an identity that the local populace rallied around.

With the exception of Dominique Wilkins, is there anyone or anything that the average Atlantan would associate with "the Hawks"? I can see no reason why the Hawks can't be a highly successful franchise, but there's never been any reason for Atlantans to follow the team.

I hope the new management group is better, but I have my doubts given that it seems to be based out of California, rather than Atlanta. How can a team have an identity, when even the ownership isn't dedicated to ATL?

You do know that Ted Turner used to own the Hawks, right? And as far as Atlanta being more viable than Austin, tell that to Seattle. It sure didn't stop ownership from taking the Sonics to OKC and naming them the Thunder. Or better yet, out of Charlotte and New Orleans, which city has a better future? Because last time I checked the Hornets packed up and left Charlotte for New Orleans. Furthermore, didn't Atlanta lose its hockey team to a city of only 600,000 people? I think Atlanta is a great city and will never end up like Detroit. Having said that Detroit is a sports city and Atlanta isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
You do know that Ted Turner used to own the Hawks, right? And as far as Atlanta being more viable than Austin, tell that to Seattle. It sure didn't stop ownership from taking the Sonics to OKC and naming them the Thunder. Or better yet, out of Charlotte and New Orleans, which city has a better future? Because last time I checked the Hornets packed up and left Charlotte for New Orleans. Furthermore, didn't Atlanta lose its hockey team to a city of only 600,000 people? I think Atlanta is a great city and will never end up like Detroit. Having said that Detroit is a sports city and Atlanta isn't.
I'm not sure that Turner was all that particularly active as an owner for a long time; maybe in the early days. It was part of the Time Warner media group and there seemed to be a lot of disinterest by the time it was sold.

Atlanta is not Charlotte. Nor Seattle. It's one of the ten largest metro areas in the US. A metro area this size has a lot of advantages over a place with 1.5 or 2.5 million.

As far as the Thrashers go, they should've never been moved here to begin with. Atlanta is not a hockey city. It's in the Deep South. There's virtually no grassroots for hockey here.

Take a look at the NHL attendance figures and you'll notice a common theme with Southern teams being at the bottom of the list. I'm actually happy that the Thrashers moved up to Winnipeg, because Winnipeg is a hockey town and the people there will enjoy the team more than people in Atlanta. That's not a knock on Atlanta --- it was just a mismatch from the get-go. Part of the NHL's ill-fated experiment to try to move away from its roots and go after larger American cities in the Sunbelt.

Atlanta is a basketball town. Take a look at any college recruiting service and see how many of the top players come from the Atlanta Metro area. Other than New York and Chicago, this is probably the best area in the Eastern US for basketball at the grassroots level.

The Hawks have everything they need to be a success. They've just been run poorly.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,197 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that Turner was all that particularly active as an owner for a long time; maybe in the early days. It was part of the Time Warner media group and there seemed to be a lot of disinterest by the time it was sold.

Atlanta is not Charlotte. Nor Seattle. It's one of the ten largest metro areas in the US. A metro area this size has a lot of advantages over a place with 1.5 or 2.5 million.

As far as the Thrashers go, they should've never been moved here to begin with. Atlanta is not a hockey city. It's in the Deep South. There's virtually no grassroots for hockey here.

Take a look at the NHL attendance figures and you'll notice a common theme with Southern teams being at the bottom of the list. I'm actually happy that the Thrashers moved up to Winnipeg, because Winnipeg is a hockey town and the people there will enjoy the team more than people in Atlanta. That's not a knock on Atlanta --- it was just a mismatch from the get-go. Part of the NHL's ill-fated experiment to try to move away from its roots and go after larger American cities in the Sunbelt.

Atlanta is a basketball town. Take a look at any college recruiting service and see how many of the top players come from the Atlanta Metro area. Other than New York and Chicago, this is probably the best area in the Eastern US for basketball at the grassroots level.

The Hawks have everything they need to be a success. They've just been run poorly.
Okay, you still want to use a city's populace as the number 1 factor in an ownership decision making. The rams and raiders left LA for St. Louis and Oakland. As it was back then, as it is now, LA is the number 2 media market. Mind you, football is huge in Cali. Owners are looking to turn a profit and gain as many concessions as they can from the city. Tell me what you think will happen if Arthur Blank doesn't get his new stadium for the falcons? One more thing, the attendance fluctuates as teams win and lose. So when the falcons and braves are winning the attendance goes up and vice versa when they lose. Unfortunately, for the hawks, whether they're winning or losing their attendance is always down.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Braves? Sorry, no. The neon tomahawks and cocky fans I saw during the 91 World Series really turned me off. I respect the team (who couldn't ... look at what they've accomplished), but the brash Atlanta fans didn't impress this Minnesota boy. We don't act like that (or admit to it, anyway) in the upper midwest, and it made a lasting impression on me.
The Minnesota sports fan is well known as a model of decorum.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Minnesota sports fan is well known as a model of decorum.
Yes, but they're nice about it.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
My problem was that they seemed to easily be able to convince themselves of BS --- like that Joe Johnson is a top 5 player in the league. JJ is good, but at best, he's probably like a top 20 guy, and he's not worth the money they're paying him.
If the Hawks had not offered JJ that contract, the Bulls and other teams were lined up ready to take him.

Every NBA team gives out regrettable contracts. The two best teams in the East are good examples (Bulls - Boozer, Heat - Bosh). It's a sickness that plagues the entire league, not just this franchise. Daniel Snyder would feel perfectly at home as an NBA owner.

I agree with you that a well-run Hawks team will have good attendance.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Ive said it before, Atlanta is probably the worst pro sports town i've ever lived in as far as fans go.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Will they end up in Cali? Nope, too many teams there already
San Diego may be a possibility.

Quote:
Heh ... I doubt they're moving.

Where in Texas would they move? Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio already have teams. That only leaves Austin, but Austin's metro population is around 1.7 million while Atlanta's is closer to 5.3 million.
Yeah but Austin doesn't have any major league professional sports team. They are underserved in that capacity.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
San Diego may be a possibility.

Yeah but Austin doesn't have any major league professional sports team. They are underserved in that capacity.
Maybe buy don't count on it. Kansas City and St. Louis are better markets. The Texas market is already crowded. Does not matter. The Hawks aren't moving.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
My first thought of their selling the Hawks is I hope the team doesn't move. My second thought with this news is I really hope the management for the Hawks is much better than what we know about the Spirit. Like many of us, I'd like to see the Hawks do better, I don't know much about these buyers.
Thought that as well. If a lockout occurs, the NBA will probably look to contract teams out.

Seems like the Hawks might be one of them now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: