Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM

85 posts, read 186,966 times

Advertisements

So coming from Uptown Dallas (Not highland park/park cities) I feel that a great transplant spot for me would be Midtown.

-It seems to be more walk-able than buckhead.
-It is in more of a downtown type area with a skyline I am used to
-It has more of the younger crowd / Piedmont Park kinda vibe

I just catch the "Highland Park" vibe at Buckhead..lots of DINK's and older people , but the yuppies and younger crowd seems to hang around Midtown(kind of like the Villages here in Dallas)..besides it seems all the places to go out are in Midtown.

Is this a fair comparison? What kind of nice place can I get for ~$1k/mo in Midtown, and what would a daily commute to Dunwoody feel like?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by jetter2; 08-12-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Your view of the physical characteristics of the neighborhoods is probably fine--Midtown is definitely more urban and walkable.

As far as the "crowd" goes, it's difficult to say. Midtown is definitely higher density and probably younger, although Buckhead's apartment complexes tend to be filled with young people too. The main difference, I'd say, is that Midtown is more liberal and a bit more diverse than Buckhead. In Buckhead, you'll tend to drive most places, so you can find the bars/restaurants that fit your scene and then not really worry about the rest of it. Within Midtown everyone walks.

The main issue for Midtown will be the commute to Dunwoody. A lot depends on whether MARTA is possible. If not, you'll have an unpleasant commute but by no means a terrible one.

$1k/mo in Midtown should get you a mediocre highrise condo rental, or else a decent apartment in the "neighborhood" area of Midtown south of the park. Check Craigslist. (When you're looking for apartments in Midtown on CL, you typically should either type in the actual street name you're looking for apartments on--Myrtle, Penn, Argonne, Piedmont, etc--or the name of the building you wish to rent a condo in. It's a pain in the ass now that everyone with an apartment for rent in Douglasville or whatever says "Just 20 minutes from Midtown" just so they come up on lots of searches. Being specific clears out lots of the noise.) 1br of course; 2br run $1400 or so usually--they are in tighter supply.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:35 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,109 times
Total generalizations here of course, but to me Buckhead feels frattier and less gay than Midtown. (Yes, gays and frat guys live in Midtown, too. It just seems like there's a higher concentration of frat guys in Buckhead and gay culture in Midtown.) Some of this correlates with Testa's observations about Buckhead leaning a bit more conservative and Midtown leaning a bit more liberal.

And Midtown is definitely more walkable than Buckhead.

I'm biased, of course, but Buckhead has always rubbed me the wrong way. Seems overly focused on showiness and money-money-money. Maybe a little soulless? It's got a nice skyline and some excellent restaurants, though.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,768 times
I'm also from Dallas and looking for a good place to move to in the Atlanta area. Currently in a Mid-Rise in Dunwoody. It's new and nice, but pricey at $1450/month for a one bedroom. Also, no nightlife or young people too hang out with in Dunwoody. Where is a great spot to live and be able to get into the single nightlife? I know where to go in Dallas to meet single women, but Atlanta is very perplexing. If it matters I enjoy the bar and club scene which Dallas excells at. Haven't quite found it hear in ATL.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAC2011 View Post
I'm also from Dallas and looking for a good place to move to in the Atlanta area. Currently in a Mid-Rise in Dunwoody. It's new and nice, but pricey at $1450/month for a one bedroom. Also, no nightlife or young people too hang out with in Dunwoody. Where is a great spot to live and be able to get into the single nightlife? I know where to go in Dallas to meet single women, but Atlanta is very perplexing. If it matters I enjoy the bar and club scene which Dallas excells at. Haven't quite found it hear in ATL.
Midtown & adjacent.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Total generalizations here of course, but to me Buckhead feels frattier and less gay than Midtown. (Yes, gays and frat guys live in Midtown, too. It just seems like there's a higher concentration of frat guys in Buckhead and gay culture in Midtown.) Some of this correlates with Testa's observations about Buckhead leaning a bit more conservative and Midtown leaning a bit more liberal.

And Midtown is definitely more walkable than Buckhead.

I'm biased, of course, but Buckhead has always rubbed me the wrong way. Seems overly focused on showiness and money-money-money. Maybe a little soulless? It's got a nice skyline and some excellent restaurants, though.
Well, the man did say that Buckhead had a Highland Park sort of feel to it to him. Pretty apt comparison, actually. There are differences, of course, but if you were going to analogize between Atlanta neighborhoods and Dallas neighborhoods, that's probably the right comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta