Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM

169 posts, read 433,263 times

Advertisements

Wait, let me get this right, you move out to an area not readily served by highways, or public transportation, then demand that the state build high capacity roads for you to drive to your intended destination quickly? This sounds like someone buying a house in the ATL airport flight path then complaining about airplane noise and wanting soundproofing performed on their house.

You have a cheep house precisely because you moved to an area with very little infrastructure -- now you need to pay the cost for you shortsighted decision. I hope saving a few $$$'s a month on your mortgage is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 04:14 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Nope! And thanks to our wonderful state legislators it probally wont happen until 2025....see, we get screwed just like you guys
WRONG....
The last few miles of Charlotte's I-485 loop are currently under construction. Contracts are already awarded, interchange with I-85 has been fully redesigned to a turbine interchange, land has been acquired. Completion of the last segment and interchange expected around 2014-2015.

Charlotte currently has the lions share of all current road projects in North Carolina.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpcbd View Post
Wait, let me get this right, you move out to an area not readily served by highways, or public transportation, then demand that the state build high capacity roads for you to drive to your intended destination quickly? This sounds like someone buying a house in the ATL airport flight path then complaining about airplane noise and wanting soundproofing performed on their house.

You have a cheep house precisely because you moved to an area with very little infrastructure -- now you need to pay the cost for you shortsighted decision. I hope saving a few $$$'s a month on your mortgage is worth it.
Laugh out Loud. The state's economy, future prosperity, future bottom line, future tax collections all depend on growth and the population and industry within the state.

This isn't the Wild West or part of the Louisiana Purchase.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Only way I would even THINK about supporting the Northern Arc is if it came with the conditions of (1) 100% financing from a permanent toll, (2) reserved right-of-way for a possible future commuter rail corridor, and (3) had intentionally constricted right-of-way to avoid future expansion, kind of like the east side perimeter is now.

Thing is, if you look at the license tags of drivers on 285 north, easily 80-90% of them are from Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb, or Gwinnett County. Its percentage use as a regional corridor is overrated, I think.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:10 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Laugh out Loud. The state's economy, future prosperity, future bottom line, future tax collections all depend on growth and the population and industry within the state.

This isn't the Wild West or part of the Louisiana Purchase.
You are making the assumption that positive growth is only obtained by creating further sprawl. I would much rather see any funds directed toward improving the transportation and redevelopment of existing neighborhoods. Growth can be internal within the already existing areas of metro Atlanta.

I have no problem with a TRUE by-pass that would direct thru traffic around the city with limited enter/exit point would benefit all.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
You are making the assumption that positive growth is only obtained by creating further sprawl. I would much rather see any funds directed toward improving the transportation and redevelopment of existing neighborhoods. Growth can be internal within the already existing areas of metro Atlanta.

I have no problem with a TRUE by-pass that would direct thru traffic around the city with limited enter/exit point would benefit all.
Only problem, is, though, nearby communities would clamor to have an exit. The days of designing turnpikes with like twenty miles between exits are pretty much over. Doesn't mean that it can't be done, though.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Those of you who disregard the idea of a northern arc aren't looking at reality. The population IS already there. This wouldn't be a road for the purpose of extending "sprawl". Its purpose would be to allow for an adequate east-west throughway on the northside, with a minimum of 10-15 miles north of I-285, but likely around twenty miles north. It would benefit the city, particularly as it comes to truck traffic, as someone coming from I-85 southbound, who needs to make a delivery to say Cartersville, could do so, instead of having to go all the way to I-285, then back up I-75. Those residents who live on the northside who need to get to locations, such as north Gwinnett or the Carolinas, could take the new northern arc, instead of having to go all the way down to I-285 to get to I-85. The other existing option are backroads with hundreds of traffic lights, and although shorter, actually takes longer, given traffic.

Other cities of similar size would have already had in place such a road. This isn't a case of promoting "sprawl", this is a case of playing catch-up to infrastructure needs.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Even more worthwhile would be to enhance connectivity, mobility, and facilities for the I-85 business/industrial corridor, second only to probably the Northeast's I-95 corridor in importance. I would think they'd be trying to keep Atlanta's hub status for logistics and distribution.

I don't think a northern arc would ever breed the endless commercial development like the other metro interstates. It's so far out that it would only serve immediate communities.

I do think a mandatory trucking bypass is a great idea to relieve I-285. I think a turnpike w/ limited exits is do-able. Georgia just doesn't have enough authority to execute projects that are best for the state. I wonder if any other states have such fragmented localized governing bodies.

In North Carolina, I've never even heard of lawsuits from nimbys challenging the DOT. They mow down people's homes and farms all the time in the name of progress.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Central NC has about 6 million people similar to greater Atlanta. Look at the difference in interstate highway/freeways (blue). I think Atlanta deserves more...

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Those of you who disregard the idea of a northern arc aren't looking at reality. The population IS already there. This wouldn't be a road for the purpose of extending "sprawl". Its purpose would be to allow for an adequate east-west throughway on the northside, with a minimum of 10-15 miles north of I-285, but likely around twenty miles north. It would benefit the city, particularly as it comes to truck traffic, as someone coming from I-85 southbound, who needs to make a delivery to say Cartersville, could do so, instead of having to go all the way to I-285, then back up I-75. Those residents who live on the northside who need to get to locations, such as north Gwinnett or the Carolinas, could take the new northern arc, instead of having to go all the way down to I-285 to get to I-85. The other existing option are backroads with hundreds of traffic lights, and although shorter, actually takes longer, given traffic.

Other cities of similar size would have already had in place such a road. This isn't a case of promoting "sprawl", this is a case of playing catch-up to infrastructure needs.
You are exactly right cities such as Houston and the Carolinas have this in place already. Atlanta will need another bypass to assist with the volume of traffic in this area. Especially traffic coming in from the West (Alabama) and the Southwest (Alabama) as well as the east of traffic needing to get around Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta