Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 AM

371 posts, read 1,555,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiami View Post
- you can drive outside the Atlanta. there are nice areas to take your family or friends for picnic or small trips
Where do you recommend, I would really like more information on this kind of outing, knowing my luck I would head out only to find myself in the company to the "Hills Have Eyes" family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:05 AM

34 posts, read 287,967 times
Unbelievable that some are choosing in this thread to criticize those who point out how happiness is a state of mind. As someone who has lived a good while in four major cities in the eastern US, I love it here the most, as do most of the hundreds of people I know. Atlanta is whatever you make of it, as any place is. I bristled when I read one person's comments that ATL is an 'unhappy' place...oh, for pete's sake. There are unhappy people, but you don't have to spend your time with them. If that's your experience, I urge you to get out more. Join some clubs, find a church, go the park more often. Enjoy the weather, the close in mountains, the tree-lined neighborhoods, outdoor cafes, interesting skyline, world class restaurants. Sure, we have some less than ideal politics, crime rates and development strategies, but every city has its challenges. Our economy is fine, our weather and cost of living is acceptable. Think about the truly "depressed' cities of our country, and beyond. To complain, in my opinion, is not keeping things in true perspective. Just my two cents.

I love this town.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Yeah - I feel bad for the truly depressed cities of America, the economically depressed and forgotten places like New Orleans, Flint, Michigan and all those other "blue collar" towns that industry abandoned long time ago... I really do. Those cities (maybe with the exception of pre-Katrina NOLA) have never been "advertised" as heaven-on-earth like Atlanta has. Hosting the Olympics really gave Atlanta a huge, undeserving ego. Will we ever know true crime stats from the years leading up to the Olympic bid?

I've been to many cities that I consider "world-class"... never have I seen the blatant racism or power-distance that I've seen living here in Atlanta, or the materialism and sense of false entitlement of the young people - and this is coming from a 23 year old. Atlanta claims to have an educated population... well, just because you spent 12 years at a rich private school and then went on to places like Duke or any other university in the vast wasteland that is the SEC West (read: Auburn, and yes, this is a jab) does not make you educated. How you treat people and what you value largely portrays your level of education in my opinion.

I can totally agree and relate with the people who wake up and say "oh god. I'm still here". Maybe they've originally come from places that they feel are BETTER than Atlanta... who knows what for. It's not easy to uproot, even if you are in a place for a relatively short time.

You try to make the best of it, but it's hard in a city that is tough to make friends in.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM

98 posts, read 471,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz0012 View Post
I live in WI and the winter SUCKS!! I hate the snow, so I am all about the warmth.
Then you will love it !! Winter is maybe a month or two, rarely snows. (Sometimes ice is a problem).

Atlanta is not a fascinating place, but it's an easy place to live. It's also easy to get away if you like to travel. Airport is great and you can fly non-stop soooo many places.

Just plan where you live/work carefully, do not get stuck in a 30-40 mile one way commute. Traffic can be bad in every direction, not just the typical pattern of work intown and live in the 'burbs. In Atlanta most people live in one suburb and work in another.

Buy a nice car. They last forever here.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,232 times
I was certainly miserable when I first moved BACK to ATL with my husband. I soon realized that it was a combo of a bunch of different issues I had internally. So I slowly started getting back in tune with my true self and continue to attract a diverse mix of friends who think ad act just like me! I fallen in love with this place all over again.
Unfortunately though there are some obvious negatives about this city, but I try to change that by inspiring others to change and help create a better place to work, live and raise a family.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM

OH ****! This is so funny! and true most the the trash that's currently here was dumped from Katrina! I know because my cousin took in 22 Katrina "refugees" 2 months after purchasing his 500,000 home! After those bastards left he foreclosed and had to move out!
There are definetly way too many wanna-be's and stunter soldier-boys & girls in the ATL for me.
Use to be some really classy folks here.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM

250 posts, read 335,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz0012 View Post
I am planning my move to Atlanta, and reading all the negative comments that people are writing is making me nervous. Are the summers THAT bad? I live in WI and the winter SUCKS!! I hate the snow, so I am all about the warmth. Does anyone have anything to say about the positive side of living in Atlanta??
If you collect insects, you could open an insect farm without any problem in Atlanta. Just install one of those lights that attracts them and you would have a million of them in no time. Insect collectors paradise! How about a bug circus? Or open a business selling large insects to owners of reptiles...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Yeah - I feel bad for the truly depressed cities of America, the economically depressed and forgotten places like New Orleans, Flint, Michigan and all those other "blue collar" towns that industry abandoned long time ago... I really do. Those cities (maybe with the exception of pre-Katrina NOLA) have never been "advertised" as heaven-on-earth like Atlanta has. Hosting the Olympics really gave Atlanta a huge, undeserving ego. Will we ever know true crime stats from the years leading up to the Olympic bid?

I've been to many cities that I consider "world-class"... never have I seen the blatant racism or power-distance that I've seen living here in Atlanta, or the materialism and sense of false entitlement of the young people - and this is coming from a 23 year old. Atlanta claims to have an educated population... well, just because you spent 12 years at a rich private school and then went on to places like Duke or any other university in the vast wasteland that is the SEC West (read: Auburn, and yes, this is a jab) does not make you educated. How you treat people and what you value largely portrays your level of education in my opinion.

I can totally agree and relate with the people who wake up and say "oh god. I'm still here". Maybe they've originally come from places that they feel are BETTER than Atlanta... who knows what for. It's not easy to uproot, even if you are in a place for a relatively short time.

You try to make the best of it, but it's hard in a city that is tough to make friends in.
Oh! snap! I love people like you, but where the hell do you hang out at in the city? The comment is so on point and verbalizes things that I see on a daily basis, especially living in the city!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I have lived in and/or spent time in about every city in the US, and I would hold Atlanta's neighborhoods up to any others that are out there. They are beautiful.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I've noticed that disproportionately, people who live in Atlanta always try and give a vague effort to show the positive side, and its ALWAYS materialistic, like we have coca cola, the biggest airport, big tall buildings, blah blah blah. Its not friendly, i know people from all over and I've been all over, and it is dismal here. It is absolutely dismal and ugly, and disconnectedness of society here is absolutely disgraceful and is embarrassing. Spending the next 10 years in Atlanta would be living in a wasteland undergoing massive refurbishment. You can see the beginnings of it today. Half the streets in Atlanta have metal plates over the pavement (funny how you don't see any of those in any other jurisdiction). Why now? Why all the condos now? How retarded, its 2007, and people in this wasteland are NOW wanting to live in-town??? give me a freaking break, its over. Its all over, there are some good people here, but i wish they'd evacuate this place and nuke it.
...and your moniker is blondandfun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta