Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

What all have you seen living in your neighborhood?

We've had deer, foxes, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, beavers, moles, geese, robins, hawks, bluebirds, cardinals, nuthatches, herons, owls, pileated woodpeckers, bluejays, brown thrashers, finches, house sparrows, cedar waxwings, king snakes, copperheads, water snakes, moccasins, coyotes, rabbits, garter snakes, earthworms, wrigglers, caterpillars, butterflies, pine beetles, mosquitoes, gnats, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, grasshoppers, walking sticks, ants, garden spiders, granddaddy longlegs, bumblebees, honey bees...

Well, the list goes on an on. You can't forget the fish, and of course our beloved domestic animals.

It's really quite amazing how much life there is in the city in addition to humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
There's a rabbit living in my back yard, and sometimes I see deer wander by. We have all kinds of birds, insects, arachnids, and lots of squirrels. I'm sure there are a lot of snakes too, but I try to avoid running in to them. The other night I heard a really odd screech noise, but I'm not sure what it was and didn't want to wander into the yard to investigate.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,805 times
Bats, don't forget the bats. Also our neighbor has a goat lol. The coolest thing we've watched this summer is a baby hawk grow up. It's been in our backyard (fairly wooded) all summer, so cool.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
I have a bat house but no bats - still waiting. I once saw a big frog (toad) in my yard.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
We see hawks and owls all the time. Our neighbor has a pool and we're near the reservoir so we get geese, ducks and at least one heron. We have rabbits in our back yard (surprising considering the number of hawks.) Chipmunks, squirrels and coyotes. We've got hornets, wasps and honey bees. Somebody around here must have a bat house because we've got more bats than I've ever seen. Not that I'm complaining, they keep the mosquito population down considerably. We've got moles too, but as my husband gets a grasp on the lawn situation and the grubs the moles are gradually going away. I'm sure we've got snakes. I haven't seen any, but with the rodent population we have there have got to be snakes.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Wasn't there another bear sighting the other day? I don't remember where it was.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I have a bat house but no bats - still waiting. I once saw a big frog (toad) in my yard.
Lori, how long have you been waiting? We put one up in the spring but I understand it can take up to a year.

At our birdfeeder we see a lot of goldfinches, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, nuthatches, wrens, thrashers and a few others I haven't yet been able to identify. We often hear a couple of different types of owls in the wooded yards of the mansions on Ponce, too. We also once watched a Great Blue Heron stalking frogs in our neighbors koi pond, which was fascinating.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I think the bear was spotted in Sandy Springs. This is the first year we haven't seen any snakes in the yard, I'm not sure why. We haven't heard much from the coyotes either. But, the deer walk up to the bird feeder every night and lick it clean. I've started to just refill it enough for the birds to eat during the day. Otherwise, all of the above are pretty common here.

Hummingbirds love our yard.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Lori, how long have you been waiting? We put one up in the spring but I understand it can take up to a year.
I have been waiting several years. It was always low odds that I would get bats - I am not near any water to speak of.

I put one up after reading how important they were to our environment so I figured I had nothing to lose. I have heard in some cases it can take several years.

It is possible I have bats and don't know it. I am not out in my yard or deck much at night. I have guests coming soon, and new furniture on the patio so if the weather is nice perhaps I will do some bat spotting.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM

668 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I have been waiting several years. It was always low odds that I would get bats - I am not near any water to speak of.

I put one up after reading how important they were to our environment so I figured I had nothing to lose. I have heard in some cases it can take several years.

It is possible I have bats and don't know it. I am not out in my yard or deck much at night. I have guests coming soon, and new furniture on the patio so if the weather is nice perhaps I will do some bat spotting.
Wow, I hadn't heard it could take that long. We were told to make sure to put it in spot that is sheltered yet gets a lot of light during the day so that it stays warm. Who knows, though.

I think you would be able to confirm if any moved in by checking the ground under the box!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta