Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 AM

291 posts, read 686,232 times

Advertisements

How good is the public transportation in Atlanta? Does the MARTA train work good. Could living in the Midtown neighborhood work good without a car? Is Atlanta a very walkable city and is it pedestrian friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:34 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,271,657 times
It's not NYC or Chicago in the public transportation department, but nowhere else is. The MARTA trains work just fine, and are a good alternative for Intown travel. Thats not to say you won't need to transfer to a bus line to reach your ultimate destination depending on where that is. And, yes, there are several train stations in Midtown that quickly whisk you to Buckhead (and beyond) as well as to downtown and points south all the way to the airport. The east-west line takes you far, as well. I recommend living near a MARTA rail station if that comports with your commuting needs and lifestyle desires.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:35 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Could living in the Midtown neighborhood work good without a car?
I know people that do it every day(including my daughter, a student at SCAD). One friend I have down there cannot drive because of a history of seizures; he lives near the intersection of 10th and Juniper and manages quite well. Aside from the occasional lift from a friend, he completely relies on MARTA.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM

368 posts, read 536,445 times
I lived near the Midtown MARTA station without a car for a year. Definitely do-able as long as your employment is reachable by MARTA.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,873 times
As others have noted, it is do-able but will be very limiting for all that Atlanta has to offer. In the AJC today, Atlanta region amond worst for mass transit access. Its 82nd on a list of 100 largest metro areas in US for sans cars.

Study: Atlanta among worst regions for access to transit services *| ajc.com

Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
As others have noted, it is do-able but will be very limiting for all that Atlanta has to offer. In the AJC today, Atlanta region amond worst for mass transit access. Its 82nd on a list of 100 largest metro areas in US for sans cars.

But the best areas of Atlanta for transit access--such as Midtown and Downtown--are far better than the best areas of most sunbelt cities around the country.

You can get to shopping malls, millions of SF of office towers, the airport, parks, sporting events, and lots of other things without a car and for a measly $2. On the flip side, if you live in Cherokee County, your transit options will be nil or close to it. It's either feast or famine.

As for myself, I live in Midtown and my GF and I both have cars. I haven't touched my car in two weeks, and will sell the blasted thing soon and not buy another. It's a rather pointless luxury--I can usually walk or mooch off friends, or share her car when we need it. Plus most of my friends are ending up in Midtown anyways, so I won't even need to go to other areas on the weekend anymore.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,907,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post

Well, that is for the entire metro....all 8000 square miles of it. I really hope if someone wishes to have access to public transportation they aren't moving to Cherokee County or something.

With that, when I read that story I thought to myself "Why don't people just live where the transit is if they need it?" So OP, yes MARTA works well and if you live in the service area you do not need a car (need as in need it or else you can't go anywhere).

Midtown is also the best example of a neighborhood in Atlanta where owning a car is more of a pain than not owning one. If you can find parking it is usually on streets that were never designed for automobiles, so accidents are frequent from people driving there and not knowing how to parallel park. You also, unless you were lucky enough to have a driveway or parking lot/deck in your building, will have difficulty finding parking near your building if you come home at the wrong time.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,402,045 times
This topic has been discussed before. Can we get a lock on this thread?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,747,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
This topic has been discussed before. Can we get a lock on this thread?
If individuals want to respond to this post, they should be allowed to it.

I find if a topic is overdiscussed, then others won't respond or refer to another thread and the post will die an early death.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
With that, when I read that story I thought to myself "Why don't people just live where the transit is if they need it?"
Because the AJC just loves to publish stories that cast Atlanta in a negative light. They're bitter that none of its' residents read their paper anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: