Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

Ill never forget Opal. We were without power for almost a week and there was quite a bit of damage in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Right now, Irene is a Category 1. Let's hope it stays that way. One model has a track aimed right at SSI; we're already forming our exit strategies down here.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Opal was an absolute bear of a storm. Not only did it destroy the lovely dunes in Destin my favorite beach, but we were without power or water for more than a week., and we were farther north than Atlanta. If a storm is powerful enough (and Opal at one point was a Cat 5, though she came ashore as a Cat 3) and moves quickly enough it can wreak havoc very far inland. I think one storm caused catastrophic flooding as far north as Canada! I'm hoping that Irene is a rainmaker, but obviously without hurting people or property. And let us not forget hurricanes ugly stepsisters; tornadoes. Frederick came ashore in Mobile and we got a ridiculous number of tornadoes in north Alabama.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Weather Channel is now predicting Irene to be a Cat 3 storm (as of 11:00 EST today)

http://www.weather.com/

Looks like it could miss us entirely, or we might get some good rain. Doesn't look like we'll get a direct hit, though.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 PM

88 posts, read 128,691 times
The way Irene is projected to track now, metro Atlanta may not get any rain from it as it'll be on the weaker western side.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooktheoriginal View Post
The way Irene is projected to track now, metro Atlanta may not get any rain from it as it'll be on the weaker western side.
Now it looks like Atlanta will actually get no rain at all as the system pulls all the moisture out of the Southeastern interior.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
And we really need rain.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
And we really need rain.
Normally, if we get rainfall from the remnants of a hurricane system it's one that approaches us from the Gulf Coast. Hurricanes on the Atlantic side tend to get drawn into the Gulf Stream (and away from us)... which is exactly what it looks like will happen to Irene.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Normally, if we get rainfall from the remnants of a hurricane system it's one that approaches us from the Gulf Coast. Hurricanes on the Atlantic side tend to get drawn into the Gulf Stream (and away from us)... which is exactly what it looks like will happen to Irene.
I was really hoping this one would jump the Florida peninsula like Andrew and Katrina did. Without the horrific damage and loss of life of course. Back in the nineties we had several really slow ones that turned out to be good rainmakers. Don't seem to have had one like that in a long time and we desperately need it.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I was really hoping this one would jump the Florida peninsula like Andrew and Katrina did. Without the horrific damage and loss of life of course. Back in the nineties we had several really slow ones that turned out to be good rainmakers. Don't seem to have had one like that in a long time and we desperately need it.
Yes, we do, but I guess I have to look at the glass as half full...we're not yet in the pickle that we were in four years ago. Then I look at poor Texas right now; my cousin in Dallas called last night and said things are very dire there right now.

No relief in sight for Texas heat and drought | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta