Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 AM

531 posts, read 2,074,055 times

Advertisements

I know the nickname of Atlanta is Hotlanta. How hot is it, how bad is the weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 AM

129 posts, read 659,390 times
WEll, it gets hot that is for sure! But I think it really depends on what you can tolerate and like! The humidity is the worst! and the smog/ozone alert is always at extreme high in the summer, if you have allergies or asthma it can be pretty bad. I would say the average summer temps are in the high 80's to even 90's.. I don't think it is the heat that is so bad but the humidity, however we went to Dallas one summer and my friend kept warning me how hot is was, and I kept telling her we where from "hotatlanta" remember?
And let me tell you, it was HOT, a very different hot tho, and way worse than here I thought! just my opinions tho

Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 AM

985 posts, read 5,757,580 times
I used to live in Dallas, TX. There is some differences between two cities.

1) Atlanta temperature never hit 100 (more like 95) and has more humidity. Dallas, TX always reached over 100 degree.

2) In atlanta, you body can feel the heat and sweat a lot. On the other hand, in dallas, you don't feel the heat (not sweat as much) but if you stay over 15 mins outside you will get sun burn pretty quick. Sunlight is much stronger in Dallas for sure.

I also used to live in Tampa, FL. Atlanta is similiar to Tampa where is also a lot of humidity.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I also used to live in Tampa, FL. Atlanta is similiar to Tampa where is also a lot of humidity.
Atlanta is NO WAY NEAR like Tampa in climate. Atlanta has 4 seasons, Tampa has two - hot and not so hot. Atlanta has a wet winter season, Tampa has a wet summer.
Atlanta is hot and humid just like all the U.S. east of the Mississippi in the summer. Atlanta is at least a few degrees cooler than the rest of the southeast because it is up the piedmont in elevation, and a few degrees less humid due to its inland location.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 AM

Atlanta is simliar to Tampa in term of humidity in the summer, compared to Dallas which is dry heat.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:51 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Atlanta is NO WAY NEAR like Tampa in climate. Atlanta has 4 seasons, Tampa has two - hot and not so hot. Atlanta has a wet winter season, Tampa has a wet summer.
Atlanta is hot and humid just like all the U.S. east of the Mississippi in the summer. Atlanta is at least a few degrees cooler than the rest of the southeast because it is up the piedmont in elevation, and a few degrees less humid due to its inland location.
Plus Atlanta hot weather doesn't last long and after sun is down it gets cooler and confortable.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,900 times
um sorry... Dallas is not dry heat! LOL.... Albuquerque is dry heat. Dallas can be extremely humid -- not as bad as Houston of course but still very humid.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Compare to Atlanta, Dallas is considered dry heat in my view. I never have been to New Mexico. So it could be more dry heat than Dallas. Anything is relative, right?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,900 times
I guess. But I grew up in Texas -- and have relatives in Dallas and have been there many, many times. I've also been to Atlanta several times. I'd say Dallas and Atlanta are much more similar than different. Both are considered humid subtropical climates in terms of scientific classifications by the weather service. I think that are close to the same latititude also.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Lets be frank guys - any place rangine from eastern Texas up to the great lakes to the northeast of the United States is HOT AND HUMID in summer. Atlanta has no exclusivity over this. In July it's hot in Chicago, it's hot in Memphis, it's hot in New York City, it's hot in Atlanta. Like I said, if anything, Atlanta is a little less hot and humid then the rest of the southeast.

I always understood the nickname "Hotlanta" was more of a marketing scheme tag by some guy in city hall to reflect the growth and industry of Atlanta rather than the temperature and climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta