Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: relocating to Atlanta, safe area, diversity, traffic, cost of living, tax help.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 131,704 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old from New England (born in Massachusetts, raised in New Hamphire), and I'm interviewing for a position that will most likely require me to relocate to Atlanta.

I have a 10 month old son, and my fiance and I are not big on cities. We have both lived in small towns all our lives, so we would like to find a suburb with a small town feel. The area we come from is very low crime (we leave our doors unlocked around here, and you can leave your purse on the sink in a public restroom), so we'd like to find somewhere with a similar vibe (if such a place exists near the big city).

We're looking to rent at first, because I don't know how long this position would keep us in Atlanta.

The other thing is (and I don't know that there is any good way to phrase this, but I'll try) that the area of New Hampshire that we're in is not diverse at all. While neither my fiance nor I are racist in any way, we both feel that we would be more comfortable living in a less diverse area (again, if such a place exists), at least at first. I hope my saying that doesn't offend anyone, it's just that when you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere it's hard to move to a place that is more urban and ethnically diverse. Know what I mean?

Anyway, can anyone make any recommendations on places we could look into? We're not too worried about schools at the moment, because our son is so young. Basically we want a friendly community with a small town feel that is relatively safe.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 AM

96 posts, read 405,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyanne View Post
Hi,

I'm a 23 year old from New England (born in Massachusetts, raised in New Hamphire), and I'm interviewing for a position that will most likely require me to relocate to Atlanta.

I have a 10 month old son, and my fiance and I are not big on cities. We have both lived in small towns all our lives, so we would like to find a suburb with a small town feel. The area we come from is very low crime (we leave our doors unlocked around here, and you can leave your purse on the sink in a public restroom), so we'd like to find somewhere with a similar vibe (if such a place exists near the big city).

We're looking to rent at first, because I don't know how long this position would keep us in Atlanta.

The other thing is (and I don't know that there is any good way to phrase this, but I'll try) that the area of New Hampshire that we're in is not diverse at all. While neither my fiance nor I are racist in any way, we both feel that we would be more comfortable living in a less diverse area (again, if such a place exists), at least at first. I hope my saying that doesn't offend anyone, it's just that when you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere it's hard to move to a place that is more urban and ethnically diverse. Know what I mean?

Anyway, can anyone make any recommendations on places we could look into? We're not too worried about schools at the moment, because our son is so young. Basically we want a friendly community with a small town feel that is relatively safe.

Thanks in advance!
The farther you move out, the less diversity, but then you will have a difficult commute. Perhaps Carroll County or Newnan? But I would not reccommend leaving your purse on the sink in a publec restaurant anywhere.
Even the small towns - which are actually suburbs that may have a town square, do not have a small town feel, because in the south people keep to themselves IMO.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 AM

32 posts, read 131,704 times
That's too bad that people tend to keep to themselves...We're so social up here!

I don't expect to be able to find anywhere where I would feel comfortable leaving my purse unattended outside of Keene (where I'm from), but I would like to find a place where I feel safe.

I'll check out the places you suggested...are those towns, or actual counties?

And how bad is traffic down there? Is it just congested and confusing, or is it like, I've been sitting here for an hour and I've moved five inches?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
That's too bad that people tend to keep to themselves...We're so social up here!

I don't expect to be able to find anywhere where I would feel comfortable leaving my purse unattended outside of Keene (where I'm from), but I would like to find a place where I feel safe.

And how bad is traffic down there? Is it just congested and confusing, or is it like, I've been sitting here for an hour and I've moved five inches?
I don't think Keene is really "small town" compared to other towns in that area, but it's definitely considered small and charming for Atlanta standards. I think Savannah, GA has a similar feel, but it's 4 hours from Atl =(

Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,867 times
I moved to GA from up north 4 years ago and have been in Cherokee County for 3.5 years (also lived in Carroll County for my first 6 months). My one suggestion is that if you are planning to buy a home, definitely look at a new neighborhood. People are more likely to be from elsewhere and interested in meeting the neighbors (vs. a more established neighborhood). I live in Canton in a subdivision that is still being built out - it's not swim/golf/tennis, etc... but my husband (who is from GA) and I weren't looking for that. You can easily find those types of communities though. Another thing to consider, I live in a neighborhood that will have less than 200 homes when complete; there are so many mega neighborhoods with 1000s of homes that I cannot imagine much ease of getting to know the people around you.

Cherokee County (Canton, Woodstock, Holly Springs, Ballground) is just north of Cobb County (Marietta, Kennesaw) and seems to attract people from all over; when I lived in Carroll County, it seemed a lot more rural, more likely to have residents born and raised in the county than elsewhere. For me, it's nice to have that mix of Georgians and people from everywhere (my neighborhood seems to be 1/2 Floridians actually - but it's a nice mix of retirees, families with kids, and married couples just starting their families).

Anyway, my decision to move here was the best one to date in my life. You can definitely afford more for your money here than up north while still being near a large city with an int'l airport. Good luck to you!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have a 10 month old son, and my fiance and I are not big on cities. The area we come from is very low crime (we leave our doors unlocked around here, and you can leave your purse on the sink in a public restroom), so we'd like to find somewhere with a similar vibe (if such a place exists near the big city).

While neither my fiance nor I are racist in any way, we both feel that we would be more comfortable living in a less diverse area .

Thanks in advance!
Ok, can I be blunt and not have to write a book here? You do NOT want to move to Atlanta, or for that matter, the burbs here.

Break it down - you come from an area where folks don't lock doors or can leave a purse out in the open and no one will touch it, and you come from a mostly white area. I can think of NO suburb of Atlanta that fits that description (for the most part) unless possibly you want to travel 80 miles outside the city to live - and even then, I doubt the purse would last long or that you'd really want to do the unlocked door bit. Then of course you're dealing with an insane traffic commute once you're that far out. Yes, there are burbs that are MORE family oriented, MORE "white", and have less crime when compared to some other areas, but honestly, Atlanta's problems do stretch far out into most of the burbs at least to some degree - at least problems I think YOU would consider problems.

I realize you know you won't duplicate the living environment "back home" here. And there is nothing at all wrong with you wanting these things, either. But honestly, there are more important things in life than a job. You can interview for a job in locations that MUCH more fit the description of what you want than Atlanta ever could.

There will be "glass half full" people who will say that Atlanta is what you make of it, and do the skipping/Kum-ba-ya song along with the chant, but not every city is a perfect fit for every family. Atlanta is right for SOME people. In this case the "feel" I get from your post says just this - Atlanta just isn't for you.

Alternatives: Asheville, NC. Lexington, KY. *perhaps* Chattanooga, TN.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,291 times
Quote:

Hi there,
I have a sister who lives in Keene, small town ...NOT ...I do like Keene but its not small but it does have that feel doesnt it..I lived in Dover NH myself. I too am looking to move to GA in the fall. I am now living(and hating it) in FL ...I have been to Grayson, Lawrencville and Buford as well as Snellville and Loganville. I found all of these towns are nice and yet still convienient to all I need(shopping, churches, activities, downtown) and people, well if you think people back home in NH are social then you will love the south. I was there for a week and never not once did I feel out of place or anythign but totally welcome and invited. I am white and although I have seen and read that we are the majority(not that I give a care...all our blood runs the same and we are all people....)I felt that I was the minority in places that I visited and I did not at any time feel out of place, unwelcome or out of my league..as a matter of fact we picked a church to visit while there that was totally african american and I will tell you what I have never felt more welcome or accepted...It was awesome....Divercity is alive and well in GA and I for one am very happy that it is...I felt more comfortable and welcome there in the short time that I was visiting than I ever did living in NH for 10 yrs *dont get me wrong I love NH and its people..its just a different way of life and attitude*..I think the places I mentioned fit the NH style especially Lawrencville...It has a really nice downtown which reminds me very much of Portsmouth or Dover...Just very nice and peaceful and very well taken care of. I have been told they did ALOT of work on it and more towns are following suit...Hope that is true. I love the feel of Lawrenville downtown. I wish I could afford to find a place right in the middle of it. Id be happy happy happy...Good Luck..You can PM me if you think I might be able to help or give any suggestions...Good Luck...You will love GA...Its a wonderful and beautiful state and southern hospitality at its best....IMHO...Lisa

Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 PM

426 posts, read 2,321,742 times
Unfortunately for you, there is no place in the metro area that fits your description. Everywhere in the Metro area (13 counties) has some sort of diversity. You are not going to find a lily white area (even Forsyth is integrating)...and if you did you would spend two hours in traffic each way in your commute to work (thats if you moved to the N. GA. Mountains where some towns have close to 100% white populations, more like what you are used to I assume). If the diversity thing is really going to bother you though I would have to agree with atlantagreg30127 and say that the north is where you would want to stay.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM

642 posts, read 2,218,585 times
Good posts by Nibsey and St. Vincent.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 AM

61 posts, read 245,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Unfortunately for you, there is no place in the metro area that fits your description. Everywhere in the Metro area (13 counties) has some sort of diversity. You are not going to find a lily white area (even Forsyth is integrating)...and if you did you would spend two hours in traffic each way in your commute to work (thats if you moved to the N. GA. Mountains where some towns have close to 100% white populations, more like what you are used to I assume). If the diversity thing is really going to bother you though I would have to agree with atlantagreg30127 and say that the north is where you would want to stay.
Also agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta