Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's going to be peceived as a guilt-trip.

Believe me, I've been in Atlanta forever and I've seen how stuff like this plays out. The demolition of the Buckhead party scene early in the new millenium is positive proof of that.

No matter what message you meant to put forward when it comes to the issues of race...anything that is meant to show a certain group how ignorant and uncouth they are, will inevitably be seen as a guilt-trip. And no matter what, those with the "juice" in Atlanta will get their needs addressed. Again, look back to the Buckhead debacle.
Get real, folks. In 1999 the Buckhead "party scene" turned into a series of murders, stabbings, drive-by's, drug dealing, mass cruising, trashing, you name it. The community was being destroyed by this mania, despite years of trying to work things out.

It took years to bring it under control, including intervention by the feds.

And if you don't think the late night bar hours were an important factor, listen to the perps bragging about it.

See for yourself.

Video: Gangland: Rise & Fall Of BMF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
Really? Why is ok for you to start calling everyone who opposes this nightclub in this neighborhood a racist? Just because you are choosing your words carefully does not make your intentions any less insidious.

Before you go any further. Go and do some research (by that, I mean, go read the first page of this thread) and see exactly what the issue is. It is not a race issue, it is a noise ordinance issue, a contract law issue, and quality of life issue.
Why are you calling it a night club?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Get real, folks. In 1999 the Buckhead "party scene" turned into a series of murders, stabbings, drive-by's, drug dealing, mass cruising, trashing, you name it. The community was being destroyed by this mania, despite years of trying to work things out.

And if you don't think the late night bar hours were an important factor, listen to the perps bragging about it.

See for yourself.

That involved the BMF, a rare gang, from 10 years ago guy!

The fear is clearly that serene ol Kirkwood is gonna bring the hood crowd because of this one bar. Because, as the argument goes, even good natured black folk bring out the rowdy types, and next thing you know murders, stabbings, rapes in the middle of the street *clutches pearls*!

There is little I can do to change anyone's mind. I can cite the dozens of bar scenes in the city that have never turned into Buckhead, but there's no point.
I can cite the number of residential neighborhoods I've gone to with more noise, people smoking outside (really, that's a real complaint?), and more drink specials than this bar without the same amount of animosity directed at the owner, its clientele, and the bar.

People want to believe what they want to believe. They also don't realize how their perceptions color things differently (i.e. my black Harvard friends discussing how, every year, a group would gather in the quad and perpetually have cops called on them because they're "acting violently" aka playing in the quad, or better yet, another group of Harvard friends waiting in line at a club and the club owner shutting the party down because of a long line of black people outside his venue, fearing they were gang bangers.) Or, in this case, black folks going to a bar, and it suddenly being classified as a nightclub.

This story is a retread of the same ish. Way to go Kirkwood. Have fun with progress.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I can cite the dozens of bar scenes in the city that have never turned into Buckhead, but there's no point.
Er, I'm not the one who claimed this was analogous to Buckhead.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 PM

222 posts, read 587,599 times
Quote:
Er, I'm not the one who claimed this was analogous to Buckhead.
Careful, she's gone to Harvard...

Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Why are you calling it a night club?
Because customers start showing up at 10 pm and stay until 2 am?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Arjay get a hold of yourself, you're starting to hyperventilate. Take 3 deep breaths and relax, fella.

You are starting to let this internet life get to you, man. I only brought in the Buckhead stuff to prove a point that the pro-nightclub crowd using the race-baiting/shaming tactic to browbeat the surrounding neighborhood into accepting the situation didn't work then, and that it would not work now.

That was why I introduce the Buckhead situation into this Kirkwood equation.

Why you felt this intense desire to turn into internet-Voltron on me and beat me down with all this extra stuff, I don't know. I'm on your side in this debate...just in case you haven't gotten the memo by now.

Quote:

See for yourself.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-03-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
A bar with black people does not a nightclub make.
I don't know what you were responding to, but I haven't seen many people in this thread talking about the race of the patrons being the factor against it. What seems to be the concern is that this is a nightclub...you know, a place that pounds the "unce" music at deafening levels until the wee hours of the morning. Thus, people who are living in the building with that will be forced to listen to that every night. Not cool.

Now, instead of coming here and demeaning everyone by assuming they're against black people, why don't you detail more about this bar/club. What is this place like exactly? Is it a bar or a club? Those are two different things, and I'm STILL not clear on it, and can't find any info about the place online other than articles talking about residents being angry. Does the place even have a website? Because I can't find it.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM

864 posts, read 1,122,937 times
Does the place have a name?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't know what you were responding to, but I haven't seen many people in this thread talking about the race of the patrons being the factor against it. What seems to be the concern is that this is a nightclub...you know, a place that pounds the "unce" music at deafening levels until the wee hours of the morning. Thus, people who are living in the building with that will be forced to listen to that every night. Not cool.

Now, instead of coming here and demeaning everyone by assuming they're against black people, why don't you detail more about this bar/club. What is this place like exactly? Is it a bar or a club? Those are two different things, and I'm STILL not clear on it, and can't find any info about the place online other than articles talking about residents being angry. Does the place even have a website? Because I can't find it.
Regardless of what you call it, it's the boisterous crowd late into the night that is the concern. It could be a church and that wouldn't change things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta