Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,957 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

Thought I would give you an update on how I'm settling in and what we've been experiencing so far. I can't tell you how nice it is to walk outside at 9am and it's already 78 degrees and warm with not a chill in the air and same can be said after leaving a restaurant at 9pm. I am LOVING the weather- quite a difference than Buffalo at night already. I know it can get real hot during the day but it doesn't bother me running errands around town. Would I garden in it at noon? No. But would I hang out outside in a blizzard in January in Buffalo? No. ;-)

My first day driving my daughter to preschool in Johns Creek, i couldn't understand why my GPS was taking me through Gwinnett County to get there (I am in Cumming at the moment). I freaked out because it took me 1/2 hr to get her there with no traffic. I had timed it previously on visits and it was about 15-20 mins max. A few days later when I couldn't find my way back from the local publix...I realized that my GPS (4 yrs old) is missing some MAJOR streets over on this side of town. $250 later and an upgrade to my navigation CD and voila! all the streets are here and it even knows some back routes to get to places I had not known about. Love it! (I won't get into the fact that I ended up in Sandy Springs to buy the CD at the dealer sooooo far away from me but that was another problem with my nav. system- didn't know the ones that were close to me even existed).

I have not encountered the horrendous traffic everyone talks about. Believe me, I am not on the road until 9am so I know it helps but I did drive my daughter to religion at 6pm right through Johns Creek and really did not find horrible traffic. I am pleased about that.

I have only encountered the friendliest of people from the check out people at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure) to the bank manager to countless servers at restaurants, the mall workers yada yada. It is such a friendly place.

It is just beautiful driving around here. Lush landscaping and gorgeous stone entries to every commercial property or neighborhood.

My kids are settling in nicely at school and I am finding they are terrific schools. We are enjoying the pool on the weekends and during the week.

We have tried lots of restaurants and even found some yummy pizza not too far away.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are LOVING It and I thank you all so much for the almost years' worth of information you gave me on where to settle based on what was important to us. We found the perfect area and will find the perfect house once our house sells. I'm so glad I didn't listen to all the people saying that Atlanta was a scary city full of crime and sending me anonymous private messages saying so..I don't think this should be allowed btw- anonymous messages...cowardly if you ask me.

Oh...and I found momdog3 at the local Publix! We are Facebook friends and only know our faces and there we were in the local grocery store coming right at each other. So funny!

I COULD use one thing- I need a place to get my hair cut and colored! This girl has got some grey hair and I am afraid to just pick a place out of the phonebook so if any of you ladies in the Suwanee/Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Cumming area can help a girl out- I'd be so happy!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Cool! My family has been here since the end of June and we are pleased with our decision to buy in Cumming (West Forsyth HS). Neighbors has been awesome, the people at the community center/pool, the shops at The Avenues, etc. We have 4 girls and went to the last of the curriculum night this evening. We have met lots of people since moving down there.

The weather has been perfect. Some people complained about the heat.

Weclcme to Cumming!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Glad to hear it! Try Genesis Salon, Hamilton Mill, exit 120 85N. The salon is right off the highway, so it's easy to find. I like the stylist Riley.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Welcome!

The heat is annoying this year. Looks like we are going to break the record for the most 90's temps in the summer.

The evenings have been nice though.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
I HATE Atlanta!

Just kidding...I am so glad you are loving your new home and enjoying the bucolic and beautiful Capital of the American South!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I have not encountered the horrendous traffic everyone talks about. Believe me, I am not on the road until 9am so I know it helps but I did drive my daughter to religion at 6pm right through Johns Creek and really did not find horrible traffic. I am pleased about that.
That's because you are staying in your neighborhood. Atlanta's traffic isn't really that bad by modern standards. We are perennially ranked as the worst commute time in the country only because people live far away from their jobs. If you lived in Johns Creek and worked downtown, you'd be singing a different tune.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM

249 posts, read 650,095 times
Default so happy for you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Hi gang,

Thought I would give you an update on how I'm settling in and what we've been experiencing so far. I can't tell you how nice it is to walk outside at 9am and it's already 78 degrees and warm with not a chill in the air and same can be said after leaving a restaurant at 9pm. I am LOVING the weather- quite a difference than Buffalo at night already. I know it can get real hot during the day but it doesn't bother me running errands around town. Would I garden in it at noon? No. But would I hang out outside in a blizzard in January in Buffalo? No. ;-)

My first day driving my daughter to preschool in Johns Creek, i couldn't understand why my GPS was taking me through Gwinnett County to get there (I am in Cumming at the moment). I freaked out because it took me 1/2 hr to get her there with no traffic. I had timed it previously on visits and it was about 15-20 mins max. A few days later when I couldn't find my way back from the local publix...I realized that my GPS (4 yrs old) is missing some MAJOR streets over on this side of town. $250 later and an upgrade to my navigation CD and voila! all the streets are here and it even knows some back routes to get to places I had not known about. Love it! (I won't get into the fact that I ended up in Sandy Springs to buy the CD at the dealer sooooo far away from me but that was another problem with my nav. system- didn't know the ones that were close to me even existed).

I have only encountered the friendliest of people from the check out people at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure) to the bank manager to countless servers at restaurants, the mall workers yada yada. It is such a friendly place.

It is just beautiful driving around here. Lush landscaping and gorgeous stone entries to every commercial property or neighborhood.

My kids are settling in nicely at school and I am finding they are terrific schools. We are enjoying the pool on the weekends and during the week.

We have tried lots of restaurants and even found some yummy pizza not too far away.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are LOVING It and I thank you all so much for the almost years' worth of information you gave me on where to settle based on what was important to us. We found the perfect area and will find the perfect house once our house sells. I'm so glad I didn't listen to all the people saying that Atlanta was a scary city full of crime and sending me anonymous private messages saying so..I don't think this should be allowed btw- anonymous messages...cowardly if you ask me.

Oh...and I found momdog3 at the local Publix! We are Facebook friends and only know our faces and there we were in the local grocery store coming right at each other. So funny!

I COULD use one thing- I need a place to get my hair cut and colored! This girl has got some grey hair and I am afraid to just pick a place out of the phonebook so if any of you ladies in the Suwanee/Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Cumming area can help a girl out- I'd be so happy!

Thanks again!
I am so happy that you are loving it there.... awesome :-)
we are heading out on 9/29/11... ended up renting place in Alpharetta.
I need to look for some pre-schools for my daughter as soon as we get there.
Well it's great that you guys decided on GA !
Glad it all worked out and I am hoping your house sells FAST!
K.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Glad you are enjoying it here, livinginbuffalo! The quality of life in Atlanta's northern suburbs is hard to beat.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
I am glad you like your new home in North Fulton. All the best.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I am glad you like your new home in North Fulton. All the best.

Isn't she in South Forsyth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta